Newest Member
    joxey
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL the GFS has an afternoon temp of 0 on the 17th

I commented on this earlier today and wondered how a sub-zero 2mT could be derived from such non-supportive UL numbers.   Well they are more realistic at the UL this run-----this does not mean sub-zero will happen.   UL now at least comparable to those on the 8th where a single digit low is predicted.

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=KNYC

Oh my.... today's 12z Euro, Euro ensembles and weeklies were just flat-out horrendous per the New England sub-forum. I'm surprised this was not emphasized in this forum. There is so much sugarcoating in this thread. Bluewave has been stellar with his outlooks from early December; not sure why everyone is trying to steal his thunder so much.

Anyway, a major, and I mean a major prolonged thaw starting on MLK weekend. Raging Pacific jet, very flat look in the West... just, simply, a firehose pattern ala 1997-98. DT posted images about this in the banter thread.

And guess what? Even if the AO goes negative, all that cold will spill over the other side of the globe because the cold will have to take the path of least resistance, per a New England met.

The only real threat during the next 10-15 days will be between the 13-14th; and that looks to be mainly rain, as most of the cold would have retreated back into Canada. GEFS is on its own now, so no brainer here on the eventual outcome now. I will say this now: this January has a 92% chance of being worse than January 2012.

:facepalm:

No. Just no. This is not only idiotic, it's flat out wrong. Stop rip and reading from AMWXNE, learn to read the models, and develop your own opinions, it'll do you good.

EURO weeklies looked good in week 4 after a brief warmup week 3 with the cold returning and the Scandinavian block forming(I wouldn't put much stock in them though, they've been horrendous all winter in their LR), ensembles have been trending towards the GEFS idea of a stronger MJO pulse into phase 7 which is a colder composite for our area, the op EURO is below normal the entire run with a couple of storm chances in there(With ens support), and your AO comment makes absolutely no sense. Furthermore, the EURO products have been playing catchup to the GEFS guidance which has been much better in this pattern that we are now in, and they have been consistently too warm in their long range relative to eventual forecast and likely verification. 

The pattern isn't perfect, don't get me wrong, but this is way over the top. 

Euro was 2-3" for most next week. The EPS looks increasingly better. Good low cluster off the delmarva on d9 now deepening. The Control run is a high end SECS. Haven't seen many of those from the Control run this season. CMC also has the system, but a tad too warm for most. Loads of moisture. Para had something around d10 as well. GFS is progressive with it.

The Euro weeklies have done a great job timing the -EPO pulses in the Pacific and the next one comes around week 4.

It looks like the general theme is a moderation in temperatures here weeks 2 and 3 from the Arctic cold this week

with the potential for more Arctic to arrive late January or early February. But the one disappointment is that

there continues to be more of a +AO throughout as all the best blocking continues to focus on the Pacific side

instead of the Atlantic. Lets hope that we can at least get a brief -AO sometime before this winter is over.

https://fox12weather.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/ecmwf-weekly-maps-19/

Same argument as always but do we really need a -ao to produce a snowstorm? Or is this info posted somewhere else? Just curious.

The Euro weeklies have done a great job timing the -EPO pulses in the Pacific and the next one comes around week 4.

It looks like the general theme is a moderation in temperatures here weeks 2 and 3 from the Arctic cold this week

with the potential for more Arctic to arrive late January or early February. But the one disappointment is that

there continues to be more of a +AO throughout as all the best blocking continues to focus on the Pacific side

instead of the Atlantic. Lets hope that we can at least get a brief -AO sometime before this winter is over.

https://fox12weather.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/ecmwf-weekly-maps-19/

Thoughts on the euro now moving the MJO into phase 7 and impacts that may have?

I don't believe we'll see anything from this as there's nothing that would support any coastal like solution.

Currently given the pattern the snow will come from clippers and SWFE or maybe some overunners considering the recent strong highs coming south and resultant cold air masses.

We need a large PNA ridge to really get a nice coastal storm if the NAO doesn't cooperate.

I don't believe we'll see anything from this as there's nothing that would support any coastal like solution.

Currently given the pattern the snow will come from clippers and SWFE or maybe some overunners considering the recent strong highs coming south and resultant cold air masses.

We need a large PNA ridge to really get a nice coastal storm if the NAO doesn't cooperate.

Its not really a coastal. Its more of an overrunning situation.

Some statistics for NYC:

AONYCJan_Snowfall.jpg

Some analogs like 1951-52 and 1982-83 had a positive ao on average for December and January and negative for February and March...

year...Dec...Jan...Feb...Mar AO...1952 1.927 0.368 -1.747 -1.859 
1983 0.967 1.359 -1.806 -0.567 

if the AO goes negative in February and March chances of a good ending for the winter rises...

I'd agree for something big that bombs out-need to buckle the flow and get it to slow down.   This looks more over-running like, which we could do well from depending on the exact evolution-something to watch at least!

The 12z Euro is a bit of a mess aloft but it has a really nice setup overall for multiple threats early next week.

I disagree that it is a mess aloft. It is a classic overrunning situation, generated by a PNA spike, with us just north of the baroclinic zone, cashing in. Toward the end of the run, a series of well timed vorts buckle the trough enough to give us a probable blizzard after the 240 hour mark. Everything about the run made sense both within the params of the individual run and the larger pattern. Verbatim, the best Euro run of the season and would result in MECS snow depth across the entire area. It is supported by last night's Euro Ens as well.

Clearly, the coastal solution will change, as it depends so much on vort spacing/timing/strength.

Overall, I feel quite good about the overrunning setup to be honest.

I disagree that it is a mess aloft. It is a classic overrunning situation, generated by a PNA spike, with us just north of the baroclinic zone, cashing in. Toward the end of the run, a series of well timed vorts buckle the trough enough to give us a probable blizzard after the 240 hour mark. Everything about the run made sense both within the params of the individual run and the larger pattern. Clearly, the coastal solution will change, as it depends so much on vort spacing/timing/strength.

If you look at the 500mb vorticy maps there are several vorts that run out ahead of the main energy over the Central Plains, but yes I agree that it looks good for overrunning.

If you look at the 500mb vorticy maps there are several vorts that run out ahead of the main energy over the Central Plains, but yes I agree that it looks good for overrunning.

Seems a bit nitpicky, but that we agree overall. That's good, because I am saying how it is. Snoski is just saying it won't happen just because. That crap shouldn't be in this thread.

Seems a bit nitpicky, but that we agree overall. That's good, because I am saying how it is. Snoski is just saying it won't happen just because. That crap shouldn't be in this thread.

The 12z EPS mean is very supportive of the overrunning potential early next week and the East coast trough late in the period.

Archived