joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think any significant winter weather is confined to the MA or SE next week, the Euro is not giving the high pressure centers coming from Canada enough credit and it has had a tendency to do that this winter beyond Day 4 or 5.

Agree that this is definitely possible with respect to the coastal. The overrunning is ours for the taking IMO.

Check out the Euro ensemble mean 500mb pattern from January 2nd at 288 hours, and then look at today's valid for 192 hours (both are valid for 12z, Wednesday, January 14th). It's night-and-day with the ridging out west. It's a big reason why the initial overrunning is a threat -- the PNA ridging helps to try and pull that north as well as keep some troughiness in the east and cold air around...and then it can hopefully help with the follow-up coastal as well. Though the follow-up coastal could easily get suppressed.

It's not necessarily a "woof" pattern, as poor timing with some features could easily lead the waves to miss, but the general theme of departing Arctic air but still kinda hanging around, as well as increased ridging out west and high-ish heights across the US is a good pattern for overrunning snows and potentially a cutoff. 

Edit: It would even be better to compare the 12z Euro Ensemble mean run from New Year's day at 312 hours to today's at 192 hours. The 1/1 GEFS had the PNA spike, btw, and pretty much never budged. 

Both the 0z euro and 6z GFS ensembles this morning were just flat out cold.

Not cool. Cold. Not one. But both.

Day 12 thru 14 on the euro ensembles has a trough under higher heights with the 0 line at 850 running through the MA

There could be a cut off over the MA With that look.

For the record since new years the euro ensembles have rallied to the colder GFS look and is cold day 2 thru 14.

Will just re post this .

Let's play a game. Which is the 12z Euro Ensemble run from New Year's Day, valid for January 14th, and which is today's Euro ensemble run, valid for January 14th?

These are crops of the WSI Model Lab products.

Yea it's not even close. I'm still having a hard time believing anything past day(s) 3-5. I definitely like the look and there's no denying the Euro has been playing catch up to the gfs in this time frame.

Let's play a game. Which is the 12z Euro Ensemble run from New Year's Day, valid for January 14th, and which is today's Euro ensemble run, valid for January 14th?

attachicon.gifloleuro1_1.png

attachicon.gifloleuro2_2.png

These are crops of the WSI Model Lab products. 

I'm not surprised. Euro Ens mean has been lowering heights over West Coast since we had the +PDO. I've seen some radical shifts towards the GEFS in 9-10 day range too.

Seems a bit nitpicky, but that we agree overall. That's good, because I am saying how it is. Snoski is just saying it won't happen just because. That crap shouldn't be in this thread.

Actually you're right it is more of an overrunning solution instead of a coastal my apologies. I think Snowgoose mentioned something about PD II how the moisture essentially slammed into the massive high pressure over us. How would this scenario compare to that if only a little bit?

Seems like overunning next week will be quite the challenge based on the relative fast flow across much of the lower 48. I definitely dont see a coastal in this pattern, and the overrunning solutions seem a little aggressive imo. I would venture to guess if there is a threat next week that it would be confined mainly to the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast.

Seems like overunning next week will be quite the challenge based on the relative fast flow across much of the lower 48. I definitely dont see a coastal in this pattern, and the overrunning solutions seem a little aggressive imo. I would venture to guess if there is a threat next week that it would be confined mainly to the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast.

Did you look at h5 on the Euro or its enensembles?

The thermal gradient adds fuel to the overrunning. Its actually plausible. But again I don't trust anything this far out.

Your call of there was no pattern change is coming means that you are missing things that you should easily see .

Why would the euro ensembles at 500 not produce an east coast storm day 10 or 11 .

Why would that POS PNA not lead to pressure falls on the east coast with a SE trough cutting underneath it during that time allowing for a SW to come N .

What fast flow ? There's no PAC jet crashing into the west coast. You are using terms that no longer exist in this pattern.

If it doesn't snow the only thing you said that makes sense is it could get caught in the MA because if the confluence due to pressing highs .

But not because the heights are being knocked down on the west coast and flattening the flow.

These are coming out of the Gulf and having to interact w low level cold air.

There is support for over running already. The Canadian and the GFS see it.

Keep in mind not every OP run from here on in is going to see some monster cut off. But if it's going to happen that's the 500 mb set up you would want to see.

Do they use the only gfs OP for the temp/precip 8-14 day image?

All other guidance including the gfs' own ensembles disagree

The end of the 18z GEFS supports the moderation idea, but looks like it would be transient. Also some blocks in the GEFS, but they too are transient. We need to get the MJO into phase 7 or 8 to have a legit chance of locking in some blocking.

The end of the 18z GEFS supports the moderation idea, but looks like it would be transient. Also some blocks in the GEFS, but they too are transient. We need to get the MJO into phase 7 or 8 to have a legit chance of locking in some blocking.

Yea I saw the moderation but the NOAA 8-14 day outlook looked wrong to me with no below normal temps anywhere.

Do they use the only gfs OP for the temp/precip 8-14 day image?

All other guidance including the gfs' own ensembles disagree.

Read their take here....

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/fxus06.html

FORECAST CONFIDENCE FOR THE 8-14 DAY PERIOD IS: BELOW AVERAGE, 2 OUT OF 5, DUE

TO A PREDICTED LOW-AMPLITUDE FLOW BY THE ENSEMBLE MEAN SOLUTIONS AND RELATIVELY

POOR AGREEMENT AMONG THE DETERMINISTIC GFS SOLUTIONS.

FORECASTER: SCOTT HANDEL 

lots of Hugification today  :ph34r:

Blizzards- MECS - PDII ------- all from one op run???

my goodness

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/images/ens/t850std1_f144_ussm.gif

Jan 21st ESRL prog

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/images/ens/t850std1_f360_ussm.gif

This image someone posted after Christmas.... only one of those days were significantly above normal and the last 4 days of this outlook...well :whistle: \

As I noted then, I don't think warm anomalies all along the East Coast is a slam dunk proposition for the period in question, especially during a time when the guidance has had less than normal run-to-run continuity in the medium- and extended-range. The Southeastern U.S. has the best chance of being warm. The GFS ensembles, in particular, suggested that a colder outcome was possible farther up the Eastern Seaboard.

CPC is as good as one gets. Nevertheless, sometimes the uncertainty can be sufficient that such forecasts don't verify. It will be interesting to see the final outcome along the East Coast (the area that had the greatest uncertainty) once the data is in. Certainly, Boston, New York, and Philadelphia have sliced deeply into the warm anomalies that had accumulated in the 1/3-5 timeframe and the 1/7-9 period will very likely be much below normal, on average.

Archived