joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course we are talking relative to the means. Even January 2002 was cold compared to the other months of the year.

We'll see how things end up verifying. You've been dead on about the models underestimating the SE ridge and I understand how the data makes a strong argument for warmth after the arctic shot so we will find out.

Yes and sometimes an above normal month could be skewed by a few anomaly days like Dec 2013 where the 22nd was able to add a full degree to the monthly departures. The month ended up near to slightly above normal statistically yet it was mostly remembered for being below normal.

Tomorrow should register another one of those unusual anomaly days pending how quickly the cold air arrives before midnight. The arctic shot will more or less stabilize today and tomorrow's positive anomalies.

Haven't seen much talk about the upcoming cold but temps may not get above freezing from Tues thru Sat, with Thurs the coldest day with mins 10 degrees around the city and max temps near 20 degrees.

Also, if NYC gets into the single digits, it will be the first case of consecutive winters with single digit readings since 2003-04 and 2004-05.

Also, if NYC gets into the single digits, it will be the first case of consecutive winters with single digit readings since 2003-04 and 2004-05.

Will see how much snow if any the clipper brings. A widespread 1-3" will aid in lower temps and cool things in general. I'm thinking the lowest the city gets to is 9F but if snowfall is 2"+ then more like 3-5F.

Guest Pamela

Please translate for the newbie -- ie, me.

Big time overrunning event in mid February 2003...extreme cold preceded the onset of a major snowstorm from Virginia through central New England. 

Talking about next weekend correct? It was close to pulling off something for our area

I posted in the MA forum that this event has more potential than most of the other PDII scenarios the GFS has spit out in recent winters since the pattern out in the SW and Texas does not support the shortwave being able to cutoff or get trapped...its a fairly zonal flow in the southern branch..if something comes out of there next week I like the chances it will be able to come out in time and interact with the high.

Guest Pamela

Thank you. I can often tease out the meaning behind some of the abbreviations, but I was lost with this one.

There were two storms that apparently concentrated their fury on this relatively new holiday...the first was during mid-February 1979 (PD 1)...a storm that put down prodigious snow totals in the mid Atlantic states...DC, BWI, Philadelphia...but the totals started to wane as one moved to the northeast...NYC was in the 13 inch range...but totals fell off quickly as one moved into SNE. 

The second one (PD 2 colloquially) took place, as mentioned, in mid February 2003...and this event put down its heaviest totals a bit to the northeast of the first one...with northern New Jersey, NYC, and Long Island recording some of the best amounts. 

I'm assuming it's Presidents Day, but you know they say about assuming...

Sent from my iPhone

There were two storms that apparently concentrated their fury on this relatively new holiday...the first was during mid-February 1979 (PD 1)...a storm that put down prodigious snow totals in the mid Atlantic states...DC, BWI, Philadelphia...but the totals started to wane as one moved to the northeast...NYC was in the 13 inch range...but totals fell off quickly as one moved into SNE. 

The second one (PD 2 colloquially) took place, as mentioned, in mid February 2003...and this event put down its heaviest totals a bit to the northeast of the first one...with northern New Jersey, NYC, and Long Island recording some of the best amounts. 

PD is Presidents Day

PD II also set a new record snowfall for Boston (27.5"). Some have argued that the Blizzard of January 2005 might have exceeded that figure, but the official measurement was lower. So, at the present time, PD II is still listed as Boston's biggest snowstorm.

Guest Pamela

What does PD II stand for? These code words are hard to decipher at times

Sent from my iPhone

PD is abbreviation for the one federal holiday during the month of February "President's Day"...in the old days, there were separate federal holidays devoted to Abe Lincoln's birthday and George Washington's birthday...but the Congress chose to consolidate those into one day to pay homage to all American Chief Executives.

PD II also set a new record snowfall for Boston (27.5"). Some have argued that the Blizzard of January 2005 might have exceeded that figure, but the official measurement was lower. So, at the present time, PD II is still listed as Boston's biggest snowstorm.

Kinda crazy considering 48 hours out they were supposed to be on the northern fringe and not see very much

Guest Pamela

For seemingly over a century the greatest Boston snowstorm was the "100 hours storm" in late February 1969...putting down 26.3 inches...but it never really was deemed a "20 inch storm" because the snow fell over the span of 4 days rather than the requisite 48 hours they allow as a so called single event window. 

Both the 0z euro and 6z GFS ensembles this morning were just flat out cold.
Not cool. Cold. Not one. But both.
Day 12 thru 14 on the euro ensembles has a trough under higher heights with the 0 line at 850 running through the MA

There could be a cut off over the MA With that look.
For the record since new years the euro ensembles have rallied to the colder GFS look and is cold day 2 thru 14.

Archived