• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

Both the 0z euro and 6z GFS ensembles this morning were just flat out cold.

Not cool. Cold. Not one. But both.

Day 12 thru 14 on the euro ensembles has a trough under higher heights with the 0 line at 850 running through the MA

There could be a cut off over the MA With that look.

For the record since new years the euro ensembles have rallied to the colder GFS look and is cold day 2 thru 14.

Let's see what the ensembles look like at 12z.

After dropping below freezing later tomorrow, temps may not get back above freezing for many of us for the rest of the week and into the weekend.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the weeklies haven't been that bad at times. They did pick up on the December warmth. If you understand how to treat them, this has been an ok winter for them. 

I also wouldn't ride the GEFS either because they could ease back on the PNA too. With the forcing west of the dateline and into the maritime continent..models probably will struggle with the EPO and PNA.

Cohen called for a SSW, but I do not see it. The vortex is not going anywhere and if anything, consolidates again. So IMHO, we won't see much of a -NAO this month. Maybe I'll be wrong.

We are actually seeing a sudden stratospheric warming event right now, with a wave 2-vortex split, though it will not reach 'major' classification. The warmer / perturbed stratosphere and current vortex split substantially increases the probability of the development of a -AO in a couple weeks based on what I've researched. I made a post in the main winter thread about it and improvements in tropical forcing, which should lead toward a more Nino-like Pacific regime. I think the AO turns negative by the 15th-20th and especially post the 20th. I have much less confidence in a sustained or strong -NAO.

We are actually seeing a sudden stratospheric warming event right now, with a wave 2-vortex split, though it will not reach 'major' classification. The warmer / perturbed stratosphere and current vortex split substantially increases the probability of the development of a -AO in a couple weeks based on what I've researched. I made a post in the main winter thread about it and improvements in tropical forcing, which should lead toward a more Nino-like Pacific regime. I think the AO turns negative by the 15th-20th and especially post the 20th. I have much less confidence in a sustained or strong -NAO.

Right, but the vortex comes right back, so hard for me to see a sustained -AO from that event when the vortex comes right back.

I would probably lean toward toward the Euro as the GFS running bias has been too high with the heights

along the West Coast and too low along the East Coast week 2. But it would be nice if they had one these

week 2 error charts for the Euro.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/fcst_eval/html/zwk2_bias.html

zwk2b-us.gif

It's hard to forecast the same bias, but the EC is definitely a bit too low with heights out west. So was the GEFS but bit as bad. This is comparing 11-15 day with 6-10 day. I think for now I would lean to EC, but careful not to run away with it.

Both the 0z euro and 6z GFS ensembles this morning were just flat out cold.

Not cool. Cold. Not one. But both.

Day 12 thru 14 on the euro ensembles has a trough under higher heights with the 0 line at 850 running through the MA

There could be a cut off over the MA With that look.

For the record since new years the euro ensembles have rallied to the colder GFS look and is cold day 2 thru 14.

Let's see what the ensembles look like at 12z.

Um, I heard that today's 12z Euro ensembles were "ugly" in the 11-15 day per the New England forum meteorologists. In fact, it's almost like the pattern as this past December. Translation: Epic, unmitigated torch.

Um, I heard that today's 12z Euro ensembles were "ugly" in the 11-15 day per the New England forum meteorologists. In fact, it's almost like the pattern as this past December. Translation: Epic, unmitigated torch.

Several days ago the ECMWF ensembles had a torch period for January 10-15th in the Northeast. Current ensembles are now colder than normal through the 16th. Point being, the models have been fairly good through about D7, with rapidly decreasing accuracy in the D7+ period and particularly beyond D10. I think the very end of today's ensembles (euro) at D 15 is also incorrect, and we'll begin to see that D10-15 period improve as we get closer, much like we're seeing now for January 10th-15th. When all is said and done, I think January will enter the books as a very solid looking winter month. I think the validity of the D10-15 ensembles is much greater in a stable / stagnant pattern, like we saw last winter with generally similar -EPO / +AO / +NAO configuration much of the winter. But in a changeable regime, use the D10-15 ensembles with caution in my opinion. This is largely why (IMO) the weeklies have performed terribly this winter. Since November 1st, we've cycled through 3 vastly different patterns. We saw the transition to cold by last week, and I think we see another change in a couple weeks w/ transition from a Nina-like regime to more Nino-like as the classic Aleutian / GOA troughing pattern initiates.

you'll note 2 things though,  the warmth keeps getting pushed back and back on the Euro and the GFS ensembles has owned the Euro in the long range the last 6 weeks or so.  

Some real weenie model solutions beginning to come out between 1/10 and 1/20. I like this period more than any other so far this season for a moderate snowfall. GFS and Euro agree on a PNA spike in the mid range and the GFS and PGFS both have the NAO and AO turning sharply negative in the LR. The 6z GFS even shows a blizzard on the 20th. On the flip side, is the Euro which continues to push back, but emphasize a major thaw toward the end of my highlighted period. Thus far, for the winter, the GFS has beaten the Euro on PV placement and strength whereas the Euro has dominated on tropical forcing and MJO plots. It is going to be an interesting second half of met winter, but we are definitely not out of it just yet. 

Just saw this  Day 10 11 12 13  Zero  torch . Watch day 12 ish with a trough under that ridge , there may be a cutoff in the MA .

Day 14- 15 moderate , but that`s 2 weeks away 

Just saw this  Day 10 11 12 13  Zero  torch . Watch day 12 ish with trough under that ridge , there may be a cutoff in the MA .

Day 14- 15 moderate , but that`s 2 weeks away 

And once it happens, much later than the Euro advertised, and much less torched than the Euro advertised, we will hear from some people how dead on it was again. ;) The colored glasses are in this season it seems.

The GFS ensembles have been consistently too cold in the East past 5 days out this winter. Even the Euro weeklies 

missed the extent of the warmth later in December when everyone was expecting back-loaded cold and we got warmth. The Euro weeklies also rushed the cold with the current EPO spike as it is happening this week 

instead of late December. So it's possible that the next -EPO pulse slated for later January may result

in the cold really arriving first week of February.

However, for January, the longer term GFS ensembles have shown superior skill compared to the D 11-15 ECMWF ensembles, the latter of which have continued to trend more amplified w/ the PNA spike and cooler near the East Coast for the Jan 10th-15th period. Recall several days ago, the ECMWF ensembles indicated a blowtorch for Jan 10th-15th w/ a ridge in the East, similar to what it depicts for its new D11-15 period. The GFS ensembles were more bullish on the PNA spike, and that will turn out more correct than not. So while the Euro might have been superior in December, it's been apparent that the Pacific changes in this current pattern have been handled better by the GFS based guidance. We'll see if the ECMWF ensembles begin to trend away from its torch again in the D11-15. Interesting battle for sure. I think it stems partially from differences in tropical forcing progression.

However, for January, the longer term GFS ensembles have shown superior skill compared to the D 11-15 ECMWF ensembles, the latter of which have continued to trend more amplified w/ the PNA spike and cooler near the East Coast for the Jan 10th-15th period. Recall several days ago, the ECMWF ensembles indicated a blowtorch for Jan 10th-15th w/ a ridge in the East, similar to what it depicts for its new D11-15 period. The GFS ensembles were more bullish on the PNA spike, and that will turn out more correct than not. So while the Euro might have been superior in December, it's been apparent that the Pacific changes in this current pattern have been handled better by the GFS based guidance. We'll see if the ECMWF ensembles begin to trend away from its torch again in the D11-15. Interesting battle for sure. I think it stems partially from differences in tropical forcing progression.

This. Absolutely right Tom.

Just reviewed the 12z gfs model.

No projected significant snow weather events for the next 10 days. ( strong odds of occuring)

Possible rain event around day 13 or 14. (medium odds of occuring)

This leave us a very small window for snow around the 22nd to 30th.

I may hendge my bets that central park gets less than 3 inches of snow  for the month at this point.

If this occurs, we may need to start talking about chasing records for least snowfall in a season.

Best

No projected significant snow weather events for the next 10 days. ( strong odds of occuring)

I may hendge my bets that central park gets less than 3 inches of snow  for the month at this point.

If this occurs, we may need to start talking about chasing records for least snowfall in a season.

Best

This is banter but the gfs has been showing something around the 19th for a few runs now which could end up snow at the coast, doubt its rain for you unless it cuts. Seems unlikely

The GFS almost never has snow events more than 7 days out. It either has suppression or cutters. Few of last years events showed up on the gfs until right before.

The GFS has trended towards the Euro for sure the last few runs not doing much with that event around a week out, the system gets stuck in Texas and does not eject til its too late.

Can anyone explain how  a -40C  500mb , -27C 850mb,  5110m gph@500mb and THK of 4940m  works out to 8deg @ 2m-----but

-22C                 -21C                5230m                                            5170m      is a lower -3deg @2m. ?

This is from the current IPS for the 8th. and then the 16th.    Winds are NW in both cases.   (we may have to pay for this info soon)

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=KNYC

Best

Banter. And the 6z GFS was epic btw.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_46.png

Best

Least seasonal snowfall is 2.8" in '72-'73,  your numbers would already have us at 4" with up to 8 weeks to go!

Day 10 Euro . I  have been saying be careful when you see a look at 500 mb with higher heights to the N with a trough underneath .

It sometimes breeds cutoffs . You can see even though there are higher heights a Pos PNA keeps you cold as it forces cold air ( HP)  into the pattern . Here is the 15th . 

Day 10 surface maps are to be taken lightly , but sometimes when you see that look at 500 , you have to look out underneath .

After that last trough lifts through around the 18th , maybe we moderate , the question how long . 

Day 10 looks much like 09-10 looked for a large part of the winter...fairly stale cold air but a setup where a storm can produce snow

I don't want to steal Weathergun's thunder, but encouraging MJO plots out today have the Euro now moving the MJO into the much more favorable phase 7 in the LR. This could really be a big positive development in our hopes to have a backloaded Winter. Today's GEFS is below normal through the entire run and the Euro Op was quite cool with some snow chances. Pattern is looking miles better now than it was 2 weeks ago and the GEFS, IMO, has been leading the charge with the notable exception of the MJO, for which there is now some indication that the Euro might be caving on that as well.

I don't want to steal Weathergun's thunder, but encouraging MJO plots out today have the Euro now moving the MJO into the much more favorable phase 7 in the LR. This could really be a big positive development in our hopes to have a backloaded Winter.

Winter began sixteen days ago. If we don't get a significant storm before the middle-end of January it will still be during the first half.

The first half of December is not a Winter month, at least not around here. Just like the second half of March isn't either.

Archived