12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter 2014-15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GEFS keeps the -EPO ridge going the whole run, while the EPS trends to more of a block north of AK, but that still allows for the PV to remain near Hudson Bay and plenty cold across Canada. Euro does try to raise heights at hr 240 thanks to troughing into the Pacific states but still looks like more of a southwest to northeast gradient due to all the cold nearby instead of an all out torch for most of the sub. Prior to that, as has been mentioned earlier, regardless of what happens this weekend, a nice clipper type pattern setting up, with the first potential on Monday.

The EPO ridge should help keep most of Canada cold and build up the snow cover that was lost in December. For our region, we don't want any -NAO, especially a West Based -NAO, as it suppresses storms south of us. Whats your thoughts on a more consistent -AO anomaly developing later in January? No real signs of an impending SSW, but if you look at the latest ECMWF, it nearly destroys the vortex and almost initiates a SSW. 

I guess the one benefit is the hybrid Nina pattern that we have currently. AAM is dropping as the atmosphere is fading away from a typical Nino regime. 

Next two weeks look terrible.  Unless your idea of fun-filled winter weather is a 4-5 day dry cold shot.   Ironically last nights 00z run of the ggem and euro wxbell snow maps, was one of the first times since fall that both had basically a snow shut out for most of Ohio thru 10 days.   We've lost the clipper on both models too.

Indices are wretched....euro shows the AO getting near neutral the first week in Jan and then spiking to the highest it's been.   The PNA is heading negative, the epo positive, the NAO still positive.

There is no good news and conservatively speaking it looks like a shut out for our area through at least mid January now.   The 4 or 5 day cold shot coming up will just be an insult to snow lovers.

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the banter thread, but I can't help it if reality sounds like a complaint.  

Happy New Year!!

Next two weeks look terrible.  Unless your idea of fun-filled winter weather is a 4-5 day dry cold shot.   Ironically last nights 00z run of the ggem and euro wxbell snow maps, was one of the first times since fall that both had basically a snow shut out for most of Ohio thru 10 days.   We've lost the clipper on both models too.

Indices are wretched....euro shows the AO getting near neutral the first week in Jan and then spiking to the highest it's been.   The PNA is heading negative, the epo positive, the NAO still positive.

There is no good news and conservatively speaking it looks like a shut out for our area through at least mid January now.   The 4 or 5 day cold shot coming up will just be an insult to snow lovers.

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the banter thread, but I can't help it if reality sounds like a complaint.  

Happy New Year!!

Meh, the models have consistently shown that clipper. I think they just burped. I still feel that an area-wide 1-2" is possible next Tuesday.  But yeah, other than that, :loon:

Meh, the models have consistently shown that clipper. I think they just burped. I still feel that an area-wide 1-2" is possible next Tuesday.  But yeah, other than that, :loon:

Never underestimate the terrible performance of the models, but the model/emsemble agreement on the clipper is outstanding. Obviously the track wobbles but looks like it could lay down a nice, widespread swath of snow for many in the region. Nice, cold, fluffy, powder snow. No ptype worries. Just track/strength worries. But to me this much agreement, even though a 6 days out, is worth as much look as anything.

Ironically last nights 00z run of the ggem and euro wxbell snow maps, was one of the first times since fall that both had basically a snow shut out for most of Ohio thru 10 days.   We've lost the clipper on both models too.

Your WxBell maps must be broken. 0z GGEM had most of Ohio receiving at least 2.0" of snow in the 10 day period. And both clippers were still there on that run (first one the stronger of the two). 

From JB

Coldest run yet of Euro for Thur am.. has ORD at -20. If right, beats last years outbreak by 4 degrees.

If ord gets at least 3" from the clipper, and there's a continuous snowpack up north, and it's an ideal radiational cooling night, there's an outside shot at -20. At this point, I think -10 is a reasonable call...which is still 25 degrees below normal.

Mid Jan thaw taking shape? Obviously far out but the GFS tries to build heights over the rockies and western plains. Im inclined to believe its possible but to what extent remains to be seen.

this is the day 10-15 ensem mean 12z euro,

looking at the 12hr breakdown, the warmth is back loaded towards day 15 with +15 departures showing up over the lakes.   I think a January thaw mid month has been well advertised...question is duration

post-622-0-14778700-1420495874_thumb.jpg

Even when the pattern is cold, lame activity. Remember when the east coast establishment was going apocalyptic in the fall about all the horrible snowstorms we were going to have around the CONUS?

lol...yep the juiced up STJ + nino was going to make this a '09-'10 redux...mecs, secs, hecs, galore

so far all they've seen is NOecs.    I'm still holding out for a late January BOVS

Euro and Canadian both keep trying to get something going in the Jan 12-14 timeframe. We'll see.

Thaw or warm-up definitely on track for mid-month. Then the Euro ensembles start building heights out west at the end of the run. And if one were to believe yesterday's Euro weeklies, which is dubious at times, colder pattern comes back for the last week of this month. Take it FWIW...but I have doubts that Spring is setting in anytime soon. :lol:

Archived