• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Hoosier

I'm definitely someone who is usually ready to move on to spring when March hits.  I enjoy snow in DJF but not so much in March and beyond with some exceptions:

1) if we're going for an all-time record, like last winter

2) if it's a big storm, which I'll take at any time

3) if it's something super rare, like sticking snow in May

Other than that, I'd be fine with 70 degree temps on the reg (not realistic here, I know)

I have never seen the media celebrate a mid-April snow like they did last April 15th when the record was broken

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd take snow in July, if it was possible. But I'm kind of a dumb :weenie:

:)

I would TAKE it but I dont necessarily want it. I mean if I ever woke up to a July 1816 redux Im sure id be all over it, but its not like I wake up on a random July day and think, gee, I wish it would snow today. Actually thats one of the annoyances of being an out and proud snow weenie. At other times of the year people assume you want snow. I say, yes, because I love winter I really want the summer barbeque that im going to tonight to be snowed out :rolleyes:

I would TAKE it but I dont necessarily want it. I mean if I ever woke up to a July 1816 redux Im sure id be all over it, but its not like I wake up on a random July day and think, gee, I wish it would snow today. Actually thats one of the annoyances of being an out and proud snow weenie. At other times of the year people assume you want snow. I say, yes, because I love winter I really want the summer barbeque that im going to tonight to be snowed out :rolleyes:

lol, right. I'm just funning around a bit. I do have some limits to my winter love. :D

I love winter, the snow, the cold, all of it.  But, by the time March arrives, I am looking for the snow and cold to end, and severe weather season to be upon us.... I would, however, just as soon skip over those summer days with the 95 degrees and 95% humidity. Can't stand that kind of weather.

I love winter, the snow, the cold, all of it.  But, by the time March arrives, I am looking for the snow and cold to end, and severe weather season to be upon us.... I would, however, just as soon skip over those summer days with the 95 degrees and 95% humidity. Can't stand that kind of weather.

I'm the same way. I thoroughly enjoy winter from Nov 1st to March 15th. Anything outside of those time periods I want warmth and sunshine. Would like to finally get a decent severe weather season around this area, but it's rare so I live through you guys during that time.

0z Euro looked interesting with a day 9-10 system. Kind of a bowler, that looked to cut probably at some point. Pretty decent ensemble support for it too. Thereafter in the day 11-15 range, EPS really build heights out west and start pushing cold south into the CONUS. Who knows if that look will hold, but it does have GEFS support. Of course before all of that, we go mild for the weekend/early next week. 

0z Euro looked interesting with a day 9-10 system. Kind of a bowler, that looked to cut probably at some point. Pretty decent ensemble support for it too. Thereafter in the day 11-15 range, EPS really build heights out west and start pushing cold south into the CONUS. Who knows if that look will hold, but it does have GEFS support. Of course before all of that, we go mild for the weekend/early next week. 

I think it'd be difficult for that to cut, given the storm off the east coast at that time and not much ridging in between.  Probably more of a bowler as you said, but not worth overanalyzing at this point.

Until that possibility, looks like snoozeville with even the ensembles not really showing anything.  Sometimes a smaller system can pop out of nowhere but doesn't look good.

I think it'd be difficult for that to cut, given the storm off the east coast at that time and not much ridging in between.  Probably more of a bowler as you said, but not worth overanalyzing at this point.

Until that possibility, looks like snoozeville with even the ensembles not really showing anything.  Sometimes a smaller system can pop out of nowhere but doesn't look good.

You may be right with that system.

But yeah, between now and then it looks a little boring outside a few impulses that look to go north of most of us.

FWIW, the PGFS has the day 10 system as well.  PGFS becomes the official GFS in a few days.

That should be interesting.  Some of the verification stats in the northern hemisphere have not been good lately, although it seems to be doing better in the southern hemisphere.

Euro ensembles suggest tempering expectations for the next 10 days or so, but I saw the day 10 storm too. Who wants to start a thread?

I've been looking at this the last 2 days.  Yesterday a majority of the GFS ensemble members along with many of Gem's were showing a beauty, But as of last night most have lost it, and the trend has continued this morning.  Many of them now want to settle a massive surface ridge in just north of the border, thus suppressing and shearing it out.

Archived