Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2014-15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cyclonic wave break action resulting from the "Grinch" storm is what will help build heights over Greenland (ie negative "NAO"). This combined with the retracting Pac jet are resulting what looks like a pretty damn stable, and favorable, longwave pattern. Look at the height anomalies on the 12 ECMWF. Now that's a -NAO:

There has also been some talk amongst those with access to the EC weeklies and ensemble mean out to 300+ hours that upstream wave driving will be on the verge of (potentially) splitting the PV from the bottom up by early Jan. We are definitely entering a favorable period that could be sticking around for awhile.

And no, the pattern change is not a "fail" because the first or second shots at snow miss you. :P

at the very least......things have improved....

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
1059 AM EST FRI DEC 19 2014

...SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...
AN AMPLIFIED MID-UPPER LEVEL TROUGH AND PCPN FOCUSING LEAD SURFACE
LOW/FRONTAL SYSTEM DEVELOPS OVER THE CENTRAL US BY EARLY NEXT WEEK
AS EMBEDDED IMPUSLES DIG TO THE LEE OF AN AMPLIFIED ERN PACIFIC
RIDGE ALOFT. THE SUPPORTING AND INCREASINGLY NEG-TILT TROUGH ALOFT
WORKS OVER THE ERN US AND OUT THROUGH THE NERN STATES INTO DAYS
5/6 WED/THU. SUSPECT A THREAT EXISTS FOR ORGANIZED WINTER WEATHER
IN LEAD FLOW OVER A COOLED NRN NEW ENG AIRMASS TUE WITH LOW
INDUCED WRAP-AROUND SNOWS SPREADING FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST AND
GREAT LAKE STATES/MIDWEST LINGERING PAST TUE/WED THAT WORK MORE IN
ERNEST OUT THROUGH THE APPALACHIANS AND MAINLY INTERIOR NRN
MID-ATLANTIC/NERN US ON CHRISTMAS EVE AND CHRISTMAS.

MEANWHILE...NRN/NERN PACIFIC MID-UPPER TROUGH ENERGIES SHOULD WORK
SHARPLY SEWD THROUGH AND TO THE LEE OF AN AMBIENT DOWNSTREAM MEAN
RIDGE POSITION TO SPREAD DYNAMICALLY DRIVEN PCPN INTO THE PAC NW
WED AND FURTHER INLAND ACROSS THE N-CENTRAL INTERMOUNTAIN
WEST/ROCKIES CHRISTMAS INTO NEXT FRI. THIS WILL INCLUDE A THREAT
FOR MODERATELY HEAVY SNOWS FOCUSING OVER FAVORED INLAND TERRAIN.
THIS WRN US SYSTEM REACHES THE CENTRAL US IN ABOUT A WEEK
PROMPTING CYCLO/FRONTOGENESIS AND PCPN/INFLOW RECOVERY OUT FROM
THE GULF OF MEXICO IN THE WAKE OF THE LEAD/EXITING ERN/NERN US
STRONG LOW SYSTEM INCLUDING SOME WINTERY PCPN THREAT ON THE NW
PERIPHERY OF THE OVERALL PCPN SHIELD SPREADING NEWD FROM THE
CENTRAL PLAINS TO THE GREAT LAKES STATES RIDING OVERTOP WARM
SECTOR CONVECTIVE RAINS.
SCHICHTEL

Really too early to look beyond Christmas until the models resolve the "Santabomb" or whatever you want to call it, but the differences by next Friday are stark indeed.

The GFS depicts a zonal flow, resulting in a weak sauce clipper skirting the Northern Plains into the Northern Lakes.

Meanwhile, the Euro develops a fairly deep trough, spinning up a cutter that delivers the goods to Iowa and Wisconsin. (The PGFS appears to parallel the Euro. lol)

Finally, the Canadian shows a shallower, more progressive trough, with the results being a low riding the OV valley, giving Indiana, Ohio, and Southern Michigan a quick hitter.

Does anybody have any ideas on which one is more likely to verify and why?

Really too early to look beyond Christmas until the models resolve the "Santabomb" or whatever you want to call it, but the differences by next Friday are stark indeed.

The GFS depicts a zonal flow, resulting in a weak sauce clipper skirting the Northern Plains into the Northern Lakes.

attachicon.gifgfs-ens_z500a_us_24.png

Meanwhile, the Euro develops a fairly deep trough, spinning up a cutter that delivers the goods to Iowa and Wisconsin. (The PGFS appears to parallel the Euro. lol)

attachicon.gifecmwf-ens_z500a_us_7.png

Finally, the Canadian shows a shallower, more progressive trough, with the results being a low riding the OV valley, giving Indiana, Ohio, and Southern Michigan a quick hitter.

attachicon.gifgem-ens_z500a_us_25.png

I certainly have no idea which is most likely to verify, but the turn towards below normal temps is inevitable shortly after Christmas, so I sure as hell hope the Euro-like solution is wrong. Im sure clippers will spin out of the NW flow, but where/how strong they are is always only decided a few days out.

You need to broaden the picture to see the differences. Here's the 0z EPS, GEFS, and GEPS 500h mean at 144 hours. Notice all have some form of pseudo/temporary -NAO, but the real difference is on the other side where the EPS has more ridging out west than the GEFS or GEPS.

The look on the EPS is favorable for running a system up through our region. It's forcing the shortwave west and south and then ejects as the blocking to the northeast moves off. Also some SE ridging makes an appearance due to the western ridging and temp -NAO. Kinda makes sense in the grand scheme of things. I guess timing/evolution of the moving parts will be sort of critical.

FWIW, pretty good agreement amongst the 0z EPS individual members of a storm in the general TX panhandle area at 144 hours. Where they go after that is a bit more spread out, but the mean takes it basically just north of STL and then ORD. We'll see how it all shakes out, but I'd rather be west of a STL-ORD-MKE line right now.

You need to broaden the picture to see the differences. Here's the 0z EPS, GEFS, and GEPS 500h mean at 144 hours. Notice all have some form of pseudo/temporary -NAO, but the real difference is on the other side where the EPS has more ridging out west than the GEFS or GEPS.

attachicon.gifeps 500h 144.png

attachicon.gifgefs 500h 144.png

attachicon.gifgeps 500h 144.png

The look on the EPS is favorable for running a system up through our region. It's forcing the shortwave west and south and then ejects as the blocking to the northeast moves off. Also some SE ridging makes an appearance due to the western ridging and temp -NAO. Kinda makes sense in the grand scheme of things. I guess timing/evolution of the moving parts will be sort of critical.

FWIW, pretty good agreement amongst the 0z EPS individual members of a storm in the general TX panhandle area at 144 hours. Where they go after that is a bit more spread out, but the mean takes it basically just north of STL and then ORD. We'll see how it all shakes out, but I'd rather be west of a STL-ORD-MKE line right now.

Honestly, wouldn't be surprised if the Christmas Eve storm squashes this one, the GFS Ensembles in general painting that picture.  Coolish and dry for most of them, though a couple bring light snow back into the Lakes as early as Christmas Day Eve.

Euro and PGFS have been very consistent for days in showing the 27th system.  All this while the same model was showing very powerful bomb scenarios with the 24th storm.  This gives me some pretty decent confidence that the 27th system should be halfway decent.  In fact, it must be a pretty potent system to be following such a strong storm that wants to flatten things out behind it. 

No worries. Check out the 12z OP GFS. Another nice weenie run. It's coming I think.

shows a nice cold stormy pattern from just before New Years to the end of the run.....I think this looks about right.   I bet we have 1 or 2 good events to track for the subforum in this period but the pattern is transient and by the end of the first week in Jan we are looking at another mild/seasonal zzzzzz stretch.   Looks like the AO is forecasted to head towards neutral/positive as well as the NAO, once the first few days of January are over.

I think calls of a lock in cold and snowy pattern in January lasting thru the rest of the winter are wrong.   I think we'll see much more variability.  Days of seasonally mild followed by in and out arctic plunges, wash and repeat.   Looking like a very forgettable winter....not bad, just forgettable in an average kind of way.  

Of course JB is now analoging this winter to '77-'78 because of the cold nov and pull back in december.   Can he ever put forth analog years that are not historic years?  I mean is it possible to put out analog years that we actually have to be reminded what happened those years?  

post-622-0-48380400-1419096235_thumb.jpg

Archived