Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2014-15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, the trailing system is DOA, it's all or nothing with this one before we head back into a boring cold/dry pattern

Educated guess: big cutting storm establishes pattern change. Aftermath: northwest flow clipper train reestablishes itself. November redux.

if this trough goes neg tilt faster and if the trough is able to dig more I could see the track of this storm shifting a big more west in time on models. obviously we are having phasing issues this far out but models do agree on this storm being in beast mode with regards to pressure. right now euro seems to have better ensemble support which is a further west cutting storm. timing will be crucial on this if cold air can dig behind this fast enough to produce a bigger snow event further south than what is currently shown. this system should have one heck of a deformation band with how much it occludes

If we're given fair notice that it's a rainer, I'll be ok. December 2003 was a true, evil grinch event.

Biggest Grinch storm of modern times for Toronto was before either of us were born: Christmas 1979. 55mm (over 2") of rain over Christmas Eve and Christmas Day washed away all the snow just before Christmas.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov&StationID=5097&mlyRange=1937-01-01%7C2012-12-01&Year=1979&cmdB1=Go&Month=12&Day=16

You know my interests.

i care about obscure isolated lake belts as much as i care about heavy snows in the cascades, fun to check out once in a while but ultimately boring

these model runs although impressive just aren't advertising much in the way of interesting weather for places people actually live

outside LES, snow looks to be a non-event unless you're talking about backwoods Cannucks

You could be right but I think it's premature to say that.  There's a recent example with the deep storm late last month which took until 48-72 hours out to resolve the snow production.  Models/model runs had been indicating little/no snow until the phasing details were better resolved.  Still plenty of time for a more favorable trend (or a worse one lol) 

i care about obscure isolated lake belts as much as i care about heavy snows in the cascades, fun to check out once in a while but ultimately boring

these model runs although impressive just aren't advertising much in the way of interesting weather for places people actually live

I can understand that.

Archived