joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was playing around in Excel tonight, and found that Chicago is most likely to experience a strong snowstorm (criteria I went with was 10"+) in a negative-EPO positive-PNA, negative-AO and negative-NAO regime. Dates used to make that conclusion were off the LOT snow records page (somehow misplaced the link). Sample size was 22 snow events, early 1950s to the GHD storm. It's no secret those phases support such a wintry pattern for the region, the idea was to at least build a statistically-viable foundation for the concept.

Sure enough, CPC projecting a dropping AO & NAO in the long term/closing days of 2014, while looking over the mid-level forecasts per ensemble guidance seems to support that -EPO, maybe even a +PNA. Whether anything actually comes of this pattern is anyone's guess, but the ingredients will be there for some snowy weather.

Well you got the last one right. Any predictions for this period now? 

the 22-24th clipper/cutoff will be lame outside the lake belts

still holding out hope for a cutter around the 27-28th but that's obviously too far out for even me to be confident but i'm leaning towards more of an eastern event.

Archived