joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#1 analog on today's man made CPC day 11+ is December 27, 1978. Pretty good run of storminess and snowfall for Chicago, on and around that date.

MDW dailies.

Really going out on a limb, but 2.5 weeks after that date put this puppy out there that dropped 20.3" at MDW.

Tonights weeklies have a really interesting look from 12/25-1/10 across the subforum with a rockies/northern plains trough and SE ridge. Plenty of cold air available with a -EPO/-NAO as well. Best big dog pattern potential wev'e seen in years if it verifies.

The pattern looks almost Nina like given the SE Ridge and ridge positioning in the West. The fact that its been a warm month and we still got a great snowstorm out of it is incredible. Whats your thoughts on a potential SSW in early January? Models show some vigorous warming taking place across the Stratosphere and the chances of a moderately strong negative AO are becoming higher. I'm not sure how much of a correlation Sea ice in the Hudson Bay Area has on our weather and the PV, but it has frozen over about a week or two ahead of climatology. I haven't been following everything of late so I'm trying to gather as much information as i can atm. 

The pattern looks almost Nina like given the SE Ridge and ridge positioning in the West. The fact that its been a warm month and we still got a great snowstorm out of it is incredible. Whats your thoughts on a potential SSW in early January? Models show some vigorous warming taking place across the Stratosphere and the chances of a moderately strong negative AO are becoming higher. I'm not sure how much of a correlation Sea ice in the Hudson Bay Area has on our weather and the PV, but it has frozen over about a week or two ahead of climatology. I haven't been following everything of late so I'm trying to gather as much information as i can atm. 

It hasnt really been a warm month. Whats the departure approx at Toronto? Looking at the extended I bet December finishes slightly below normal here.

It hasnt really been a warm month. Whats the departure approx at Toronto? Looking at the extended I bet December finishes slightly below normal here.

Really? Well, it hasn't been that warm here either, but its still a bit above normal. December on average is supposed to have a mean temperature of 28F, but thus far its 30.5F using 1981-2010 normals. 

However, YYZ  recorded 7.4" of snow for the month thanks to that snowstorm we saw a few days ago. So it hasn't been a bad month i guess, haha. 

The pattern is expected to go nina like b/c tropical forcing is returning to the eastern hemisphere once again so the pac jet retracts and EPO crashes from the less favourable nino base state in early winter which actually tends to favour a more +EPO(which we saw this month). In terms of the strat, a wave 2 uptick looks almost certain given the RWB expecting to move into the AK region with a strengthening E Euro high at the same time. Their is pretty decent support for a wave 1 then wave 2 punch in the 10-20 day period. Depending on the look of the vortex downwelling can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks from that point so impacts will take a while(late Jan perhaps). With or without a true SSW, the AO looks to stay very neg in Jan with a -NAO/+PNA favoured in the means IMO given base state, analogs etc... especially mid/late month.

Really? Well, it hasn't been overly warm here either, but its still a bit above normal. December on average is supposed to have a mean temperature of 28F but thus far its 30.5F using 1981-2010 normals. 

However, YYZ  recorded 7.4" of snow for the month with that snowstorm we saw a few days ago. So it hasn't been a bad month thanks to that, haha. 

We are sitting right at +0 here.... Today will push it up to +1 probably... Below normal December is still a possibility.

The pattern is expected to go nina like b/c tropical forcing is returning to the eastern hemisphere once again so the pac jet retracts and EPO crashes from the less favourable nino base state in early winter which actually tends to favour a more +EPO(which we saw this month). In terms of the strat, a wave 2 uptick looks almost certain given the RWB expecting to move into the AK region with a strengthening E Euro high at the same time. Their is pretty decent support for a wave 1 then wave 2 punch in the 10-20 day period. Depending on the look of the vortex downwelling can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks from that point so impacts will take a while(late Jan perhaps). With or without a true SSW, the AO looks to stay very neg in Jan with a -NAO/+PNA favoured in the means IMO given base state, analogs etc... especially mid/late month.

Excellent, I agree completely. The EPO has always been the wild card and when it isn't in our favour, like 2011-12, it can get pretty bad. Usually in El Nino's we see a more pronounced +PNA and Aleutian Low which pushes the trough further East which in turn favours more Coastal storms.  However, in weak El Nino's if i'm not mistaken, the ridge in the West is a bit further West, almost Nina like, and we usually can cash in if other circumstances (NAO, PV, etc) are in our favour. BTW, what did the weeklies show in terms of the NAO? Was it East-based or West-based? 

January could be an exciting month. If a true SSW does happen, February could potentially end up being colder, similar to what happened in 1978-79. If we are going to see any decent snow in January IMO, i think our best potential would be early-mid January, agree? A strong polar jet-stream would be nice to get some good clippers. 

Excellent, I agree completely. The EPO has always been the wild card and when it isn't in our favour, like 2011-12, it can get pretty bad. Usually in El Nino's we see a more pronounced +PNA and Aleutian Low which pushes the trough further East which in turn favours more Coastal storms.  However, in weak El Nino's if i'm not mistaken, the ridge in the West is a bit further West, almost Nina like, and we usually can cash in if other circumstances (NAO, PV, etc) are in our favour. BTW, what did the weeklies show in terms of the NAO? Was it East-based or West-based? 

January could be an exciting month. If a true SSW does happen, February could potentially end up being colder, similar to what happened in 1978-79. If we are going to see any decent snow in January IMO, i think our best potential would be early-mid January, agree? A strong polar jet-stream would be nice to get some good clippers. 

On the weeklies the -NAO starts off east based in the means before becoming increasingly west based by early Jan. 

Archived