Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z GFS keeps hope alive for the 20th.

Looks rather deformed. Without any decent phasing, even partial phasing, the southern stream lacks any instability and is therefore loosely drifting north. In addition, the northern stream is vague and slow due to lack of any Polar jet influence. Another feature to watch is the potential 50/50 Low off the coast of Newfoundland. Ridge positioning in the West looks favourable for an inland runner, but i'm more concerned about timing and phasing. The HP across the Prairies may not be an Arctic high but its in an ideal spot for some cold air to work into this storm. Well atleast it looks better than what the GGEM is showing. 

Possibility still exists but as of now, nothing real exciting for the Dec 19-21st storm. Lets see! 

The Day 15 12z Euro Ensemble mean posted to the New England forum today looks excellent for cold. Huge -EPO ridge and that midlevel pattern with the negative height anomalies centered farther west would probably be more supportive of an active pattern for the subforum if it comes to fruition. Also suppose that with the -NAO hinted, any system cutting toward the OV would be likely only get so far north before transferring energy to the east.

a6e562dc0c15377522245aedf609c598.jpg

That would be a cool pattern^! Would not be boring by the looks of it.

Long ways out... Cold air building back across the continent on the CFS to close the month out.

attachicon.gifpost-46-0-94229800-1418597868.png

Always a take it FWIW with the CFSv2, but since other typically more reliable ensemble data is going in a similar direction gives it more credence. That temperature anomaly pattern would be created by a mid/upper pattern similar to what the Euro ens mean I posted shows. More of a -PNA along with a -EPO that would be more favorable for more significant southwest flow/ panhandle hook type systems.

0z GGEM still consistent with its depiction for the Dec 20th storm. No storm as it kills off the southern stream. Just dry cold air for the sub-forum. 

This is interesting to me.  The ggem has yet to show anything and we are now 5 days out.    Considering the ggem has never been a storm-shy model, you have to wonder if it scores a coupe or falls flat on it's face.

On the other end of the scale, looking at the euro ensembles, a few, (but surprising amount) of the members take the storm as far nw as central OH, and the mean looks like it's a little stronger with the inverted trough into WV.

I love this, trying to track the first storm of the season, and trying to figure out where it winds up., or if it even remains a storm of any significance.

That's why I love Winter here at americanwx.com, lots of board activity.

12z GEFS are all sharing the same active look during the 24th-1st period

Which is why the Dec 20th thing, I am not worried about. If I cash in on something great.  Usually in these pattern changes though the first system that looks to change things up, ends up being a miss with the second being the hitter.

Archived