e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Dec 9-10 threat

stormtracker

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LWX point and click map actually has its first "separation" in the new zones.  The northern balt co and northern harford co have "hazardous weather outlook" whereas the areas SE do not have them.  The NW areas say possible snow/sleet/rain tues night and the SE say just rain.

I know, not a big deal, but it is the first time I've seen the new zones in action!

12 hours earlier and as Mr Z said we would have been golden but high will be too far east tonight, decent flurries earlier. This is a quality problem to have versus days on end of 50's. Keep firing lows into 1035 highs and things work out.

yea, been snowing off and on at my house last few hours...would have been nice if this came in a few hours earlier...but the south wind ahead of that inverted trough is going to start doing its dirty work this afternoon.  Oh well.  I agree that the trend this year will work out in the long run if we keep getting these coastals. Sooner or later one will pay off

The folks that live near mapgril, HighStakes, etc. typically have similar conditions to southern York Co. Here's the wording from CTPs WWA. Maybe sparky can pull out the broom tonight. 

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR A WINTRY MIX OF SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING
RAIN...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 PM EST
TUESDAY.

* HAZARDS...ICY CONDITIONS DUE TO SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION AN INCH OR LESS...ALONG WITH A
LIGHT COATING OF ICE.

* TIMING...STARTING THIS EVENING OVER THE MARYLAND BORDER AND
SPREADING NORTHWARD OVERNIGHT.

* IMPACTS...DANGEROUS TRAVEL ON UNTREATED ROADS.

* TEMPERATURES...MID 20S TO LOWER 30S.

The folks that live near mapgril, HighStakes, etc. typically have similar conditions to southern York Co. Here's the wording from CTPs WWA. Maybe sparky can pull out the broom tonight. 

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR A WINTRY MIX OF SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING

RAIN...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 1 PM EST

TUESDAY.

* HAZARDS...ICY CONDITIONS DUE TO SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION AN INCH OR LESS...ALONG WITH A

LIGHT COATING OF ICE.

* TIMING...STARTING THIS EVENING OVER THE MARYLAND BORDER AND

SPREADING NORTHWARD OVERNIGHT.

* IMPACTS...DANGEROUS TRAVEL ON UNTREATED ROADS.

* TEMPERATURES...MID 20S TO LOWER 30S.

Yeah, I expect at some point, Carroll and upper Baltimore will go under a WWA. 

Of course this storm will over perform, I have to drive to State College in the morning.  Leaving at 0630 to arrive around 0900.    Leaving for home around 1700.  So the worst times to be driving will coincide with both legs of the trip.  Yay!!!  I'm expecting ice, snow, and ridiculous drivers around Harrisburg.  I do miss Maryland's beautifully maintained interstates.

Dunno. Some of the new guidance keeps shifting east. We would be really freaking out if this had been a snow event right now. I'm not even sold poconos are a lock anymore.

Central PA is such a frustrating place for snow these days.... I can recall a number of examples when I was convinced UNV or Williamsport would get buried, and I'd be envious of what they were about to get, only to later find out that they too would mix with sleet/zr or otherwise have their totals scaled back. Feb 2007 is a good example. Then there was also last March.

Central PA is such a frustrating place for snow these days.... I can recall a number of examples when I was convinced UNV or Williamsport would get buried, and I'd be envious of what they were about to get, only to later find out that they too would mix with sleet/zr or otherwise have their totals scaled back. Feb 2007 is a good example. Then there was also last March.

Williamsport is overrated for snow. Too far east for mountain enhancement and too far west for big coastals. NE, NW and SW PA (laurels) are where it's at. And UNV is still way better than these parts with an annual avg near 50". 

Williamsport is overrated for snow. Too far east for mountain enhancement and too far west for big coastals. NE, NW and SW PA (laurels) are where it's at. And UNV is still way better than these parts with an annual avg near 50". 

Williamsport is so far north compared to all of us, and yet they only average 36" of snow.... not much different from psuhoffman or HighStakes, though it comes much differently. UNV averages as much as Boston but in recent years it hasn't seemed like it. They average 45" but these days they're having a hard time getting much above 50" and are often getting seasonal totals in the 20s, not that most DC folks will care or feel their pain, but imagine Boston going through that (which I think they did back in the 80s).

I basically think of the Laurels as an extension of Garrett county...great place for snow with a lot of triple digit averages.

Williamsport is so far north compared to all of us, and yet they only average 36" of snow.... not much different from psuhoffman or HighStakes, though it comes much differently. UNV averages as much as Boston but in recent years it hasn't seemed like it. They average 45" but these days they're having a hard time getting much above 50" and are often getting seasonal totals in the 20s, not that most DC folks will care or feel their pain, but imagine Boston going through that (which I think they did back in the 80s).

I basically think of the Laurels as an extension of Garrett county...great place for snow with a lot of triple digit averages.

I'll respond over in Banter. Don't want to fill up this thread......

They have not done well lately. To me it seems like a combo of a lack of the coastal hugger tracks they need lately. It's either off the coast or a lake cutter lately. Plus for some reason a lot of coastal storms that took a favorable track for them to at least get good snow the storms lately often have very intense but compact Ccb precip shields. They bury the coast but the convection of those bands kills the moisture transport inland. They are suffering lately.

Archived