joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it was a historic benchmark because it was the first ever major storm the models really caught 5 days out and more or less got right, it's funny how only 20 years ago a 5 day forecast was like a 12 day forecast now

Nick Gregory was the first to bring up the storm a full seven days in advance, when he was the weekend meteorologist, which was another controversy in and of itself, the Weather Channel caught on very quickly thereafter.

Using this post to attempt to calculate my age will prove futile...as, not unlike Manilow...I've been alive 4ever...and I write the songs.

I was just doing that. I was thinking I thought William was an older guy. I guess (Pamilliam) went to college/grad later in life.

93 had the unique combination of severe coastal flooding and snow. The 10" we got in Wantagh turned into icebergs in the flood area. It then froze to concrete which actually broke plows. My first vivid memories of a blizzard. I remember the switch to heavy sleet and rain. Second hardest sleet I have seen behind the sleet thunderstorm I witnessed in Long Beach

93 was an awesome event for sure. Out of your area, but even down here in the sunny south, Boone NC enjoyed 36"+ of snow, 24 hours of below zero temps and winds, estimated by the NCDC summaries, gusting as high as 110 mph. Mt. Mitchell's total was 50".

That would have been epic on Jan 1 but the fact it was March 13th makes it even THAT much more impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93 was an awesome event for sure.  Out of your area, but even down here in the sunny south, Boone NC enjoyed 36"+ of snow, 24 hours of below zero temps and winds, estimated by the NCDC summaries, gusting as high as 110 mph.   Mt. Mitchell's total was 50".  

Even in metro Birmingham & Atlanta...I think they approached one foot...in the mountains of NE Georgia...I would guess upwards of 20 inches, no?

The week prior to '96 I recall twc repeatedly showing a graphic ...it was either "southern slider" or "southern style" (I was 14 :/) ...harping how it was looking like it was only going to affect the southeast. Was the mrf/avn showing the southern solution and twc was going with that? Anyone remember which model lead the way with further north track? I'm guessing the euro. I just remember the projected accumulations increasing the day before like every 6 hours... That day was almost as exciting as the storm. It went from 6"+, to a foot, to 1-2 feet to up to 2 feet expected all in one day

Sent from my iPhone

The week prior to '96 I recall twc repeatedly showing a graphic ...it was either "southern slider" or "southern style" (I was 14 :/) ...harping how it was looking like it was only going to affect the southeast. Was the mrf/avn showing the southern solution and twc was going with that? Anyone remember which model lead the way with further north track? I'm guessing the euro. I just remember the projected accumulations increasing the day before like every 6 hours... That day was almost as exciting as the storm. It went from 6"+, to a foot, to 1-2 feet to up to 2 feet expected all in one day

Sent from my iPhone

I remember and there is a video on youtube of the local forecast for Newark..

Sent from my iPhone

Yes less than 48 hours out the gfs still had NYC on the northern fringe picking up a few inches while the euro had us getting blasted 6 days out. Even the Saturday before amounts were forecast to be 6-10" by Monday and we had that by Sunday afternoon

Yes less than 48 hours out the gfs still had NYC on the northern fringe picking up a few inches while the euro had us getting blasted 6 days out. Even the Saturday before amounts were forecast to be 6-10" by Monday and we had that by Sunday afternoon

Some things never change.

Sent from my iPhone

Euro was always a hit.  Of course it was largely ignored.   What is now the GFS had the southern solutions...I remember it was not until mid-day Saturday that they actually called for us to get anything.   By 10am Sunday, snow had commenced and the rest is history.

Archived