Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would seem that we have entered a very active pattern for at least the next several weeks. One that will probably persist well into February if not longer. Those deep end of Winter snowpacks will set the stage for some nasty flooding come early Spring.

Eastern Canada is loaded with snow.   Could make for some nasty backdoor fronts in April and May

The noon sun is starting to feel and look noticeable. It felt bearable with the 25 degrees right after the 1/27/15 snowfall, not bitter like it should if it was Dec or very early January.  By the last week of February the sun starts to compromise and make Arctic shots feel a bit less harsh during the mid day hours. It will feel warmer in the direct sun facing south on a 29 degree day by 2/25 or later.  I remember the Arctic air behind the missed 3/26/2014 storm and in the sun, blocked from the wind it felt almost warm with the 30 degree air temp and the 52 degree angle sun rays.  I think somebody mentioned, once the sun gets over 32 degrees, cars can warm in the sun on a cold day, and sublimation of snow increases significantly for each degree angle increased. Once above 40 degree angle and winter starts to take a kick in the groin as the atmosphere starts its slow response from it. Also once the 30-35 degree sun angle gets to southern Canada in four weeks the southern edge of Arctic air masses get less severe in our 40-45 degree latitude belt.  I think after 2/25 and once to 3/15, it gets hard to stay below freezing for endless days.  I think we are mostly below freezing for daytime highs straight thru 2/25 with some slow recovery after that. It will just have to for natural balance and the cold season not lasting forever. Looking fwd (not) to a backdoor ridden chilly spring drizzle and low 40's that will take forever to get real warm.  May 2015 should see first glimpse of real warmth at times I would think.  Mets, just some banter, but do u notice these things too.

The noon sun is starting to feel and look noticeable. It felt bearable with the 25 degrees right after the 1/27/15 snowfall, not bitter like it should if it was Dec or very early January.  By the last week of February the sun starts to compromise and make Arctic shots feel a bit less harsh during the mid day hours. It will feel warmer in the direct sun facing south on a 29 degree day by 2/25 or later.  I remember the Arctic air behind the missed 3/26/2014 storm and in the sun, blocked from the wind it felt almost warm with the 30 degree air temp and the 52 degree angle sun rays.  I think somebody mentioned, once the sun gets over 32 degrees, cars can warm in the sun on a cold day, and sublimation of snow increases significantly for each degree angle increased. Once above 40 degree angle and winter starts to take a kick in the groin as the atmosphere starts its slow response from it. Also once the 30-35 degree sun angle gets to southern Canada in four weeks the southern edge of Arctic air masses get less severe in our 40-45 degree latitude belt.  I think after 2/25 and once to 3/15, it gets hard to stay below freezing for endless days.  I think we are mostly below freezing for daytime highs straight thru 2/25 with some slow recovery after that. It will just have to for natural balance and the cold season not lasting forever. Looking fwd (not) to a backdoor ridden chilly spring drizzle and low 40's that will take forever to get real warm.  May 2015 should see first glimpse of real warmth at times I would think.  Mets, just some banter, but do u notice these things too.

You need to post more often lol

this is the fifth consecutive day in Central Park with a minimum of 32 or lower...January 2015 should end up with 25 days 32 or lower for a minimum...Last January 2014 had 24 such days...The record for consecutive days 51 set in 1976-77 since 1917-18...

season.....con/days min. 32 or lower...

1976-77...........51
1969-70...........45
1917-18...........44
1933-34...........36
1944-45...........36
2006-07...........36
1984-85...........35
1954-55...........33
1989-90...........33
1935-36...........31
1979-80...........31
2003-04...........29
1999-00...........28
1968-69...........27
1967-68...........27
1964-65...........27
2008-09...........27

-6 at west hampton last night. I have to question it again. Surrounding stations made the low teens which is much more reasonable. If you look at the temp chart you see it go from 3 to -6 in one hour. Just doesn't seem likely. I know it radiates well I'm the pine barrens but I have always been suspect of this station

-7.6F for a low this morning, coldest of the year as far as I recall

I'm not sure how cold it got but I usually sleep with my fan on all year round, a sheet and two comforters. I like it cold in the room because I like a lot of covers. I woke up freezing around 3AM, shut off the fan and pulled on another comforter.

It was 9F when I left for work this morning at 7:45

The heat island in the winter is crazy. Unless there is a front coming through or precip etc, we are almost always 10-15deg warmer than places even 10 mi away.

Upton had the city at 10 this morning. After a high in the mid 30s and no front (ie north winds) coming through, not sure what they were thinking.

The heat island in the winter is crazy. Unless there is a front coming through or precip etc, we are almost always 10-15deg warmer than places even 10 mi away.

Upton had the city at 10 this morning. After a high in the mid 30s and no front (ie north winds) coming through, not sure what they were thinking.

I think NYC has a great shot of dropping into the single digits on Tuesday morning. A fresh snowpack would help.

I was just out in central Suffolk and wow! Now that's a legit blizzard. Makes what we have in Nassau look to borrow a word used on this board pedestrian. Honestly based on eyeballing it I think there was Double the amount of snow I have in Wantagh. I wast here to measure at the right time but I went with 15". Has to close to 30 out there in spots. Second time in 3 years I just missed out on insanity.

I think NYC has a great shot of dropping into the single digits on Tuesday morning. A fresh snowpack would help.

Absent something exogenous affecting the area (like a front), I've noted the typical diurnal temp variation is only about 10F, and maxes out around 15F. So if we want a low in the single digits, unless a cold front is coming through, the high can only be around 20, max.

Absent something exogenous affecting the area (like a front), I've noted the typical diurnal temp variation is only about 10F, and maxes out around 15F. So if we want a low in the single digits, unless a cold front is coming through, the high can only be around 20, max.

Agreed. Yesterday was a joke with nws forecasting 10 degree low in nyc. 11pm temp of 25, ain't gonna cut it

Agreed. Yesterday was a joke with nws forecasting 10 degree low in nyc. 11pm temp of 25, ain't gonna cut it

They were expecting cold air drain down the Hudson as it was super cold north of the city. Reality was the only reason it was so cold up there was because of the ideal radiational cooling so the cold air wasn't going anywhere

Archived