• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

it's gunna' get warmer down here real soon too!!

that said, it's nice top see the warmth building around the Pole but Bob's got me spooked now with those 94/95 and 06/07 analogs that keep showing up

of course, DEC 86 was warm too, and that winter worked out well, but I hate the thought of hanging my hat on 1 year when the odds favor the cr@p analog years 2 to 1

Nah, don't read too much into it. Every year is different AND 09 is still showing up...but at the bottom of the list..haha

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not discouraged because it's Dec 1st. Our window really doesn't open for another 3 weeks give or take. However, looking at 5 day mean height patterns and cpc analogs, there are some strong similarities to Dec 94, 86, and 06. Those 3 years show up quite a bit right now with CPC analogs and they were all Ninos. The composite is basically what the global ensembles are advertising. 

attachicon.gifcpcanalogs.GIF

Here's the euro. GEFS looks the same

attachicon.gifec5day.GIF

the current map looks way better....no vortex over the EPO region....I'm not concerned about any long term issues...

the current map looks way better....no vortex over the EPO region....I'm not concerned about any long term issues...

I'm not concerned either, Matt. Dec has always been the wildcard and Nino climo is typically a slow start. If we have an anomalous +ao/nao in 3 weeks then things change. Looks like Dec AO will have a hard time hitting -1 on the means based on current guidance but that really doesn't mean much either. The state of the high latitudes during the last 10 days of the month will be telling for sure. 

where are you getting your maps because the CFS2 site depicts JAN & FEB like this:

usT2mMonInd2.gif

usT2mMonInd3.gif

Those are 10 day averages...I'm using dailies...not sure if they are available to the public?......that warmth is all concentrated in the 1st 5 days....once those days drop off it will cool down...February from today has DC at -7

Those are 10 day averages...I'm using dailies...not sure if they are available to the public?......that warmth is all concentrated in the 1st 5 days....once those days drop off it will cool down...February from today has DC at -7

I feel I'm being cheated by the government....what should I do??

Yeah, it looks pretty awful in the long range.  But, I'm not discouraged given that it seems the models can't get a handle on anything past Day 10 lately (or for the past month).  

This is probably still true, but I'm going to ignore it for just a minute since the GEFS shows a progression that I was kind of hoping it would show.  After Day 8, it the 12z GEFS shows the Canada torch that includes us to a great degree as well.  But then very late in the run (Days 13-15) it shows what I was kind of hoping it would eventually:  the high heights in Canada and the northern CONUS retreat northward and start to look like a west-based -NAO and we get lower heights underneath that.  Also shows some ridging over the pole.  Of course I'm sure it won't look like this in reality, but maybe this is an early hint at how things will evolve.  

post-51-0-82797800-1417458149_thumb.gif

This is probably still true, but I'm going to ignore it for just a minute since the GEFS shows a progression that I was kind of hoping it would show.  After Day 8, it the 12z GEFS shows the Canada torch that includes us to a great degree as well.  But then very late in the run (Days 13-15) it shows what I was kind of hoping it would eventually:  the high heights in Canada and the northern CONUS retreat northward and start to look like a west-based -NAO and we get lower heights underneath that.  Also shows some ridging over the pole.  Of course I'm sure it won't look like this in reality, but maybe this is an early hint at how things will evolve.  

attachicon.giff384.gif

Big time spread in the evolution other than having low heights in the npac. Pretty much as good a lock as you will see at long leads there but awful tough to get a handle on the conus. Some members showing good ridging near the pole and also support what you are describing. At this point, the most important things to root for is no bearing sea vortex and no strengthening +AO. Neither of which seem to be favored. Quite a few members like a cutoff traversing the desert sw and southern tier during d10-15 timeframe. Very nino-like there.  

f360.gif

Euro ens have been trending with higher heights across most of northern russia pushing poleward late in the run. This would prevent an easy transition to a bothersome +AO. Small but decent trend across the board with the 12z. Late in the run it has the lowest heights in the npac centered south of the western aleutians. Definitely not a bad thing. 

All in all the pattern still stinks for storms but a fairly easy transition to a better pattern if we can get a better alignment in the pac. MUCH better if we get the first real -nao in like 40 years. 

Euro ens have been trending with higher heights across most of northern russia pushing poleward late in the run. This would prevent an easy transition to a bothersome +AO. Small but decent trend across the board with the 12z. Late in the run it has the lowest heights in the npac centered south of the western aleutians. Definitely not a bad thing. 

All in all the pattern still stinks for storms but a fairly easy transition to a better pattern if we can get a better alignment in the pac. MUCH better if we get the first real -nao in like 40 years. 

As long as we have ridging out west and no southeast ridge, even with above normal heights over us, it won't be that warm of a pattern in the averages

Archived