joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

funny nobody on the Board that I've seen has mentioned the huge spike in polar stratospheric temps of late; a few different levels

30mb

30mb9065.gif

10 mb

10mb9065.gif

5mb

05mb9065.gif

note that 10mb and 5mb have warmed beyond 1979-2013 maxes per these graphs

this usually means some serious blocking I believe

Not sure about blocking, at least initially, but should lead to weaker PV / -AO. I was looking at that and the poleward heat flux/time plot from the CPC(Stratosphere) site  earlier. I'm not too good at interpreting that stuff,

funny nobody on the Board that I've seen has mentioned the huge spike in polar stratospheric temps of late; a few different levels

30mb

30mb9065.gif

10 mb

10mb9065.gif

5mb

05mb9065.gif

note that 10mb and 5mb have warmed beyond 1979-2013 maxes per these graphs

this usually means some serious blocking I believe

Between the bottom up wave breaking events (100hpa-50hpa roughly) early on, t and then the top down warmings (heat flux from equator - polar latitudes & the Siberian snowpack, 1hpa-30hpa ), there was def warming going on. The PV become quite erratic and weaker than normal climo. It's why the record breaking cold came in November. The -EPO was our

Block.

However, until the mjo get/'back to the pacific,

We'll see some levels of the PV strengthen up a bit. Mostly at the higher levels. 1-30hpa. Ecmwf forecast that for the time being. 100mb PV is pretty disturbed.

Cohen is pretty confident in a SSW or even a major one (complete dismantling of the PV) come end of December -early jan.

http://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

We continue to anticipate that the vertical wave propagation will resume in mid- to late December and become anomalously strong, for reasons discussed above. This should result in a significant if not major SSW, consistent with the high October Eurasian snow cover paradigm. Therefore, the prospects for a SSW in early January are still highly probable.

I think once the PAC starts to cooperate assuming the mjo returns to 7-1 mid December 15-20th, the fun gets going. Should see the Aleutian low return, the -EPO ridging into canada get stronger. (Gfs and euro hint at weaker

Episodes forming and then relaxing at times) once and if the mjo gets to 7-1.

If we see that, then we can start talking SSW event as Cohen talks about. It's a wildcard. And the end result if one occurs remains to be seen. Best case scenario is we see a SSW come late December- early jan, and then a -NAO episode can ensue.

Day 10 on tonights EURO looks looks mildly interesting... semi-ridge out West and a 1031 H centered over S SD with and another H (1036) hanging out in Western Quebec... while a low pressure system appears to be developing in S AR/N LA at 1015mb... i dont think this system will cut with the H's guarding us to the north...

We know we can basically punt the next 10 days to 2 weeks. After that there are a lot of signs that point to a return to a colder pattern. MJO will be progressing towards favorable phases over the coming weeks, warming over the Polar stratosphere should weaken the PV somewhat and help bring the AO from neutral/positive to a more stable negative phase. And lest we forget the very negative QBO, which should enhance further SSW/PV disturbances and possibly promote high latitude blocking over N Atlantic, hopefully by the end of the month. Also there were indications on the GFS and GEM ens mean from yesterday that beyond the next couple weeks, the Alaskan low was retrograding back towards the Aleutians, and heights were building westward over the N Atlantic from Scandinavia. As always, much is subject to change, and time will tell.

Information on the parallel GFS can be found here.  Check implementations and also performance and also implementation review

One interesting point is that the first 10 days will be run at "13-km" resolution.  

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/GFS/impl.php

The improvement in 500 hPa heights wrt to the old GFS is largest at approximately 7 days. 

to me the difference is the MJO the GFS pushes the MJO into the good phases in the LR and EURO kills it. Thats why we see such drastic differences in the LR among the models

cohen seems to think the SSW is not going to happen this month and that the PV is going to strengthen 

Lack of a SSW event doesnt mean PV is going to strengthen. And thats not what Cohen said. The AO will likely trend negative over the next 2 weeks(not strongly negative), but a significant warming event likely wont occur for another 4-6 weeks. From AER.... 

"Beyond the next two weeks, the strongest signal for the AO continues to be from the high October Eurasian snow cover. High snow cover favors a weaker polar vortex mid-winter, which would also promote a negative surface-based AO.  Wave driving has been observed to be strong in recent weeks but is now predicted to slacken in early December.  Therefore the likelihood of a significant or major sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) in December is low.  Climatologically, SSWs occur in January, and that is looking like a better target for this winter as well."

to me the difference is the MJO the GFS pushes the MJO into the good phases in the LR and EURO kills it. Thats why we see such drastic differences in the LR among the models

cohen seems to think the SSW is not going to happen this month and that the PV is going to strengthen 

why did you say the pv is going to strengthen?

why did you say the pv is going to strengthen?

I am guessing he misinterpreted something. We have a +AO now but all guidance I have seen shows a trend towards neutral and likely negative by the second week in December. Cohen(aer) in their latest update as of a few days ago, also mentions this, but doesn't expect a major SSW event till early January at the earliest.

The euro bias correction MJO looks like the UKMET. Brings it into 7 and 8

I like how our torchy 1st week of December will not feature one day above normal (two if you count tomorrow), one day well below normal and 3-4 days near normal. 

Depends on how you look at it. With lows factored in particularly it looks like every day could be above normal except Tuesday. NWS is hedging cool late week in particular compared to modeling. Maybe right though.

Depends on how you look at it. With lows factored in particularly it looks like every day could be above normal except Tuesday. NWS is hedging cool late week in particular compared to modeling. Maybe right though.

I mean to say "now feature" instead of "not feature", which is a typo that totally changes the meaning of the sentence. 

As for late week, each day might be a bit above normal, but not my much, although I could see it trending slightly cooler or a bit warmer. 

I mean to say "now feature" instead of "not feature", which is a typo that totally changes the meaning of the sentence. 

As for late week, each day might be a bit above normal, but not my much, although I could see it trending slightly cooler or a bit warmer. 

Tuesday is definitely no way to run a warm up. Not sure we were ever scheduled to truly torch per se though. Kinda on periphery, room for gradient wiggles etc. 

Other than tomorrow and Monday, where temps are going to be 55-60, every other day looks pretty much avg, upper 40s-low 50s, with Tuesday probably staying in the 30s. So pretty typical overall for early Dec. No torch for sure.

Tuesday is definitely no way to run a warm up. Not sure we were ever scheduled to truly torch per se though. Kinda on periphery, room for gradient wiggles etc. 

I think we all had some reason to doubt it, but the ensembles were certainly advertising a potentially torchy (60s for highs?) type pattern last week and before. 

Archived