EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
November II Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I suppose if we can grab a little ridging in Greenland maybe we can pop something. At least nrn Canada to about Hudson Bay look pretty chilly. The AO and NAO also don't become very positive either. Would be nice to grab something next weekend.

Next weekend is still somewhat compelling. After that, I think we'll struggle for a time with the pacific in limbo and the NAO not cooperating.

Well, on the GFS, congrats to Watertown (NY) and the Tug.  They're getting snows from the system and that whatever LES on the backside of this that kicks in.

Umbrellas for NE. 

One up side for the relatively warm days coming up toward Thanksgiving, good opportunity to get the Christmas lights set without freezing your tuchas off.

For those who relish winter profile events ... ironically it is the uber compressed, very fast flow in the mid levels that may circumstantially assist that appeal re that Monday+ event.

When the geopotential medium has slower velocities, an embedded S/W with 90 or 100kts of wind may net-accelerate by some 50 or 60kts worth (just making the example here...) over a given location, and with that much acceleration, physically that is the cause for critical veering and backing in the intervening layers between 900 and 500mb levels.  You really need those...well, have to have those actually for stronger cyclogenesis.  

In this case, we have really "too much of a good thing" in transpiring through this mad geopotential negative anomaly.  The flow all around the circumvallate of the mean L/W is 90 to 110kts in situ prior to moving any S/W through.  What that is doing ...and it can be seen plainly in the models ... is pulling up a large amount of deep S PWAT air for that Monday deal, while keeping the cyclone mechanics relatively weak.  

That has a icing potential there for me considering the antecedent air mass. A weak cyclone has less mechanics and the whole thing sets up a really ..kind of an ideal looking ageostrophic mess to me.  Could be 31.8 with steady rain for a time, at places like FIT in N. Mass, with chimney smoke moving S at 4kts.  

All we have is the antecedent air mass, agreed.  High pressure retreats E ... This will want to turn the flow S in tiem, ...but as the interior saturates with very low initial WB, we could establish a poorly modeled lower atmosphere inhibition (cold dense air), that starts draining.  

When I think a-priori in my own experience with icing is that they are typically rushed to end, and warm air is allowed to intrude too fast at all levels for that matter.  Just something to keep in mine...

In short, weaker but juicy system moves fast up into an antecedent cold environment ... Saturation and wet-bulbing create shallow inhibition in the interior that a weaker low may not have the mechanics to then scour out before the thing ends and a triple point of sort peels out S -E of those zones.  I've seen that before.  

It'll be interesting to see how things play out but the operational GFS continues to downplay any substantial warming after this week.  

If we mean warmer than now/today ...duh, it's  whopper anomaly.  Almost has to be warmer.  But both the CDC and CPC agencies' PNA progs offer enough support for continuing NW flow in Canada to offset ...whatever it was we were looking at that got a warm chime going. 

Archived