November II Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nov 18 2002. Decent ice in central MA.   

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/climate/snowrpts/NO180223

Big one in the early 1970s. 1973 I think

Even if it was once a decade somewhere in the NE US I would still say its relatively rare (but I doubt its that often). And usually localized. And when I think ice storm I usually think >0.5", or at least >0.25".

Of course I wasn't around in 1973 and was 13 in 2002, so I stand by this statement LOL  :lmao::

"I'm not sure I've ever seen a Northeast US ice storm in November".  

Sorry. That was in December

I was 5 and in Kindergarten when that hit...I remember that well.  We lost power for a couple days, and kept the fireplace roaring to keep warm. We cooked potatoes in foil in the fireplace...never forget that.  It was me, my mom and my 4 year old sister.  My dad was a Cop, and had to work around the clock due to the storm and all the trees down.  That was a bad bad ice storm.

Man, I'm not sure I can ever recall seeing negative temp departures that great holding for that long of a duration. Jesus.

I was really just now looking at the forecast.....its something right out of early Jan.

We are in for a doozy.

Can't wait to reassess ssts in a week.

Man, I'm getting old.

I remember that event.

I had an inch or two of wet snow and sleet.....I had just turned 22 and was a college kid and in the Marine reserves. It was just before I got activated and sent to Camp Lejune.

I remember it distinctly because I was out getting ripped for my bday, hooked up with some chick at a Hotel @ Logan airport, and my buddy just took off without me because I left him hanging. Forget how I even got home :lol:

One of the funnest stretches of my life.

Even if it was once a decade somewhere in the NE US I would still say its relatively rare (but I doubt its that often). And usually localized. And when I think ice storm I usually think >0.5", or at least >0.25".

Of course I wasn't around in 1973 and was 13 in 2002, so I stand by this statement LOL  :lmao::

Oh yeah, definitely rare. I'm sure there are other events where we had icing in the interior, but perhaps nothing major. I know Nov 12 (I think) 1997 had a snow to ice in the interior as well. 

I bet you could find a few of those advisory level ice events with 1/8-1/3" type ice as listed there.

Anyone know of any warning criteria NOV ice storms (ie 0.5"+)?

Then again I don't know what Blizz is alluding to when he says ice storm...I usually think half inch or higher accretion as "ice storm", but maybe he's only talking 0.1-0.25" ice which would likely be more common.

Man, I'm not sure I can ever recall seeing negative temp departures that great holding for that long of a duration. Jesus.

I was really just now looking at the forecast.....its something right out of early Jan.

We are in for a doozy.

Can't wait to reassess ssts in a week.

They'll take a hit for sure. Probably will be U40s by next Saturday.

Oh yeah, definitely rare. I'm sure there are other events where we had icing in the interior, but perhaps nothing major. I know Nov 12 (I think) 1997 had a snow to ice in the interior as well. 

Yeah there's probably been the occasional glaze too. You just don't usually have the deep surface and low level cold that early in the season.

I bet you could find a few of those advisory level ice events with 1/8-1/3" type ice as listed there.

Anyone know of any warning criteria NOV ice storms (ie 0.5"+)?

Then again I don't know what Blizz is alluding to when he says ice storm...I usually think half inch or higher accretion as "ice storm", but maybe he's only talking 0.1-0.25" ice which would likely be more common.

He wants damage, so probably greater than .5"

Interesting that 2002 started off with an ice event as that spring in April 2003 we had a big ice storm in Albany, NY as the last event of the winter. Had 0.5-0.75" ice in the Capital District, some trees down and no power. Meanwhile just north at like GFL and RUT they got 12-20" of snow. Drove up to Killington the next day and went from ice palace scenery near Albany to deep winter snow with 18" in Rutland County near Killington.

Of course I wasn't around in 1973 and was 13 in 2002, so I stand by this statement LOL :lmao::

Oddly, the 2002 November ice storm in CT was the biggest ice storm in the state since the big one in December 73.

Oddly, the 2002 November ice storm in CT was the biggest ice storm in the state since the big one in December 73.

I'm having a hard time remembering that storm I was living on the eastern outskirts of Springfield MA at the time did we get a lot of ice in that storm or did we end up getting more snow and sleet and the ice was further south and west?

The Nov 2002 ice storm was pretty impressive. Some spots had over half inch of ice. We had a little less than that in ORH...ironically, a bit of sleet saved it from being worse.

And Dead Sea Scrolls is right about 1921...that is one of the all timers in SNE, and it happened to occur in November.

While northern areas of SNE may start as a bit of snow (I don't think we'll get as much as PF has suggested), it will suck that it's going to wash away as quickly as it may have fallen once the warmer air comes in. 

Accumulation like that is akin to calling your summer temps a torch because your overnight lows are warm in spite of days upon days of COC perfection.  It's true......but not really.

Get the genny's ready Hunch,MPM etc

AT THIS POINT...WE MAY SEE A SIGNIFICANT

FREEZING RAIN EVENT FOR INTERIOR HIGH TERRAIN OF THE BERKSHIRES /

WORCESTER HILLS / MONADNOCKS WHERE SHALLOW COLD AIR BECOMES TRAPPED

WITHIN THE VALLEYS MAINTAINED BY THE AFOREMENTIONED N AGEOSTROPHIC

FLOW.

I seriously doubt areas as low as 1000' have much to worry about.  I'd say protected areas in higher elevations (hi Pete)  are in a more precarious situation.   But, what the hell do I know.

That said, should folks lose power, hopefully it will be short-lived with the more wintry temps coming on the heels of the system.

Good AFD from Box this morning.

23.5/17

I seriously doubt areas as low as 1000' have much to worry about. I'd say protected areas in higher elevations (hi Pete) are in a more precarious situation. But, what the hell do I know.

That said, should folks lose power, hopefully it will be short-lived with the more wintry temps coming on the heels of the system.

Good AFD from Box this morning.

23.5/17

Isn't Pete only like 300ft higher than you, but yet south of you?

Archived