joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November II Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't Pete only like 300ft higher than you, but yet south of you?

Yes, he's not tremendously higher, but he's got higher hills protecting him from wind and allowing cold air to settle by him nearby.  The highest area in my town is about 1.5 miles away at 1400', and I'm on top of a hill between that high point and a lower 1200' less than half a mile away.  There are decent dips in elevation between me and those nearby hills leaving me exposed and 1000' is not all that high in the scheme of things.

Easily the coolest night of the year last night.  Bottomed out at 22.9 (probably about 7* cooler than my prior low).

23.3/17

I seriously doubt areas as low as 1000' have much to worry about.  I'd say protected areas in higher elevations (hi Pete)  are in a more precarious situation.   But, what the hell do I know.

That said, should folks lose power, hopefully it will be short-lived with the more wintry temps coming on the heels of the system.

Good AFD from Box this morning.

23.5/17

You will never go above freezing. I'd prepare now for extended outages..and with the bitter cold next week..could be tough going

You'll get ZR. I don't know about how much, but it will be ZR for awhile.

Dollars to donuts short-lived with light accretion.   If there were a colder source and/or refrigeration from existing snow pack, I'd be more optimistic. 

My take is that the temps will be marginal at best.  In that temp, light rain/steady drizzle could cause issues in that but the rain will be heavier than that making the freeze that much more difficult.

Higher areas in Colrain, Heath, Charlemont could be a different story. 

Dollars to donuts short-lived with light accretion.   If there were a colder source and/or refrigeration from existing snow pack, I'd be more optimistic. 

My take is that the temps will be marginal at best.  In that temp, light rain/steady drizzle could cause issues in that but the rain will be heavier than that making the freeze that much more difficult.

Higher areas in Colrain, Heath, Charlemont could be a different story. 

Well right, the higher areas a few hundred feet up stand the best chance. I don't see power outage stuff there at your house..just saying you'll get ZR for awhile.

Well right, the higher areas a few hundred feet up stand the best chance. I don't see power outage stuff there at your house..just saying you'll get ZR for awhile.

We're on the same page then.  Kevin's talking destruction.  Even in the world of hype, that's not happening.  Wet roads with a trace of accretion that washes off immediately by late morning.  At least we'll have some standard winter temps following it to help with pond freezes.  At least until that thaws a bit the following week. 

Like a November morning of yore.. A bit of snowcover, cold temps and skim ice on ponds...seasons in seasons

97C4C9E6-7584-4807-BA62-CE5CB89F5BFD_zps

Nice dude, I left work at dawn yesterday and got home at dark so i didn't know how much was left, pretty decent at the top of the hills, very patchy to nada at any lower elevation. Great to see so early in the year. There are still 5 weeks left to traditional winter solstice, akin(Hi Ray) to May 15th in my hood, occasional warm days but nothing like summer.

Archived