joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread I

LithiaWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep this, going to be a big deal about how much moisture can shed west for everyone.

Let's face it, the farther west this tracks is better for you guys, not RDU, split the GFS and Euro is better for RDU. I have a feeling this trends a little stronger and ticks west as we get closer. Similar to Dec 09. Hopefully someone in the SE sees snow.

Definitely trended colder at the SFC this run. We're starting around 4C with this event as opposed to 6 or 7. 

There must be a lot of dry air in the mid levels as 850s crash from 4c to below freezing without cold air advection but rather just off of evaporational cooling alone over ga with big drops over the carolinas as well. . Hell 850s go from +8c to below freezing in a few hours  as far south as the florida panhandle...that is some major and unusually high amount of evaporational cooling..so it must be very dry in the mid levels.  Of course that doesn't mean the surface will cool that much or that there is even a lot of dry air at the surface. BUT I have to wonder how deep/close to the surface that dry air is because if it is that dry down to just above the surface, say 950mb,  then this could look a lot better than one would think at first glance, especially over the carolinas.

There must be a lot of dry air in the mid levels as 850s crash from 4c to below freezing without cold air advection but rather just off of evaporational cooling alone over ga with big drops over the carolinas as well. . Hell 850s go from +8c to below freezing in a few hours  as far south as the florida panhandle...that is some major and unusually high amount of evaporational cooling..so it must be very dry in the mid levels.  Of course that doesn't mean the surface will cool that much or that there is even a lot of dry air at the surface. BUT I have to wonder how deep/close to the surface that dry air is because if it is that dry down to just above the surface, say 950mb,  then this could look a lot better than one would think at first glance, especially over the carolinas.

yeah, this is where I really miss those old euro soundings on plymouth. I'm thinking there has to be some significant dewpoint depressions. 

Heavy rolling thunder just now.  I'm pretty sure that means I'll get snow on the next big holiday...or maybe it's fog...I'm a bit foggy on that, lol.  Interesting month since Halloween, and more to come.  I love oddities in winter, not just the usual cold and dry, wet and warm. 

Dang, that one shook the house.  Big boomers just to my south.  T

Archived