• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Im liking what i see, particularly for the ski slopes as they have had a iffy start (not bad, but not great). The further SW one is in the mtns the harder it will be to get accumulating snow. 

Im not ready to put out a SnowCast map just yet, but by tomorrow morning i will post mine. 

Best of luck to all of the mtn folks as well as the foothill and piedmont fellas. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like GSP is talking about it in their overnight disco.

PRE-EXISTING COLD ADVECTION WILL BE ENHANCED AS THE LOW PASSES
WEDNESDAY. IN THE WESTERN PORTION OF THE CWFA PARTIAL THICKNESSES
WILL ALREADY BE MARGINAL FOR WINTRY PTYPES EARLY WED MRNG...BUT WILL
PLUNGE FURTHER BEFORE THE LOW LIFTS AWAY. WITH THE ENTIRE AREA
REMAINING ON THE COOL SIDE OF THE SYSTEM...IT STILL APPEARS THAT
EITHER RAIN OR SNOW WILL RESULT WITH NO ELEVATED WARM LAYERS SEEN ON
ANY OF THE AVAILABLE MODEL GUIDANCE. SFC T OR TW VALUES ONLY FAVOR
SNOW REACHING THE SFC IN THE MOUNTAINS AND HIGHER FOOTHILLS. THERE IS
FAIRLY GOOD CONSISTENCY BETWEEN THE VARIOUS SOURCES OF QPF GUIDANCE
BUT THE BLENDED VALUES ENDED UP CLOSE TO THE GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN.
LIQUID VALUES DO NOT LOOK EXCESSIVE...WELL UNDER AN INCH EVEN IN OUR
SERN/ERN ZONES NEAREST THE LOW. SNOW TOTALS IN THE MTNS LOOK TO BE
ADVISORY-LEVEL ATTM. SUFFICIENTLY COLD AIR IS ONLY QUESTIONABLE EARLY
IN THE EVENT LEAVING LIQUID QPF AS THE MAIN FACTOR IN SNOWFALL.
PROVIDED THAT THE MODELS MAINTAIN THE COASTAL TRACK I HAVE PRETTY
GOOD CONFIDENCE IN THESE TOTALS.

BY WED NIGHT AN ADDITIONAL PUSH OF COLD AIR AND MOISTURE WILL REACH
THE MTNS AS A SHORTWAVE EMBEDDED IN THE TROUGH EXITS THE OHIO
VALLEY. LLVL WINDS WILL VEER TO NWLY ACRS THE AREA BY THU MRNG AND
PROG SOUNDINGS SUGGEST A MINOR SNOWFALL EVENT NEAR THE TENN
BORDER. ADDITIONAL ACCUMS OF LESS THAN AN INCH ARE EXPECTED. FLURRIES
MAY CONTINUE ON THE WINDWARD SLOPES THRU THURSDAY BEFORE MOISTURE
FINALLY DIMINISHES THU NIGHT
. DOWNSLOPING WINDS ACRS THE AREA THU
AFTN WILL HELP TEMPS REBOUND INTO THE 50S ACRS THE PIEDMONT.

A quick look at the incoming 12Z NAM (11/24/2014), suggests that the best chances for snow in the mountains will be overnight Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.  The sounding from AVL looks very promising for snow - so it's just a question of how much precip we can get into the cold air before sunrise.  The latest NAM liquid equivalent suggests 0.30" by 12Z Wed, or 2-3" of very slushy snow.

NAM_218_2014112412_F48_35.5000N_82.5000W

Opening day at Appalachian Ski Mountain

Saturday was opening day and conditions were well SAWEET.

From SkiSoutheast.com: Jordan Nelson with Nelson Aerials provides superb drone footage from his ridiculously pimped out drone to show us things we have never seen before from an up and above the slopes perspective.

Average base depth even after yesterday's heavy rains and stiff warm overnight winds is 28" to 58"

I remeber as a kid we lived up north of Weaverville in the 70,s and had a white thanksgiving. Seems like it snowed about 2 maybe 3 inches. Had the cousins up from south georgia, first time they had seen snow.

Anyway rooting hard for you guys, espeacilly northern mtns, we will be heading up Friday morning to get the tree. Plan on bringing the sleds with me, knock on wood.

euro looked drier to me.

Definitely not drier - at least compared to the 00Z run.  I see the 0.7" of liquid equivalent, which is nearly double that from both the NAM and the GFS output.  Taken at face-value, it would be 5-7" of snow for AVL and surrounding areas, compared to the 2-3" from the NAM/GFS.  Again, soundings support all snow through 12Z Wednesday before things warm up as the sytem departs.

The storm is still 48 hours away, so I think with the 00Z suite we should be able to make a near final call snow projection.

So I have some inlaws making the trip to Charlotte from Nashville on Wednesday. They'll be coming right over the mountains on I-40 late in the day Wednesday. Any guesses from people more familiar with that route? I'm guessing 5" or so of snow shouldn't be too big a deal, right?

From Ray's Weather for the central mtns...

"There are still some details to work out, namely, how much cold air can work in as the precip arrives. But, here is our latest thinking as of this morning. Light rain develops late Tuesday evening (even in the highest elevations). A transition to snow is then expected Tuesday night above 4000’, then gradually transitioning down to lower elevations through Wednesday morning. Elevations below 3000’ (including the greater Asheville area) will be much more borderline, temp-wise, for a complete changeover to snow. It is possible that the heaviest of the precipitation will be gone before the transition can occur in those areas which would significantly limit any accumulation potential. This is the reason for the Snowman-O-Mometer only being at a Dusting for now. A small temperature change could make all the difference there. Overall, the best potential for accumulating snow with this system looks to be above 3000’ where light accumulations are possible.  On the backside of the system, flurries and a few snow showers will redevelop Wednesday night with additional light accumulations possible in the favored upslope areas along the NC/TN border. Flurries gradually taper off Thanksgiving morning."

From Greenville

AT THE SURFACE...ON TUESDAY EVENING A STATIONARY FRONT WILL BELOCATED OVER THE GULF STREAM OFF THE COAST OF GA AND THE CAROLINAS.A SURFACE WAVE WILL DEVELOP ALONG THIS BOUNDARY OVERNIGHT...SOMEWHERE NEAR THE SC COAST. LOW LEVEL MOISTURE WILL SPREAD WELLINLAND AS A DEFORMATION ZONE APPEARS TO DEVELOP NW OF THE LOW.ISENTROPIC UPGLIDE OVER THE FRONT DOES NOT APPEAR TO EXTEND AS FARWEST AS OUR AREA...LIMITING RAINFALL AMOUNTS UNDER MODEST UPWARDVERTICAL MOTION. MODULE THICKNESS VALUES AND VERTICAL PROFILES SUPPORTWITHER A RAIN OR SNOW SCENARIO...WITH RAIN EAST OF THE BLUERIDGE...AND SNOW IN THE MOUNTAINS. SNOWFALL TOTALS COULD APPROACHADVISORY CRITERIA ON TUESDAY NIGHT AND EARLY WEDNESDAY IN THE NCMOUNTAINS.

I have complete respect for gsp but I've lived in these mountains all my life you can't predit the weather around here unless ur out in it. I just think there bein a little to conservative for the mtns on one of the busyiest times of year. Anywere along the blue ridge above 2500 ft shud be under a winter storm watch.

Archived