joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temps have fallen pretty good tonight. Down to 33 degrees. The Radar out of TN looks very good. I really like the way this looks. Not true NW flow though so not sure how some spots may do but, that is a pretty impressive band of moisture coming across TN.

Agreed, I have noticed that Enka/Candler tends to do alright with these type flows so it will be interesting to see if we get much if anything.  One time it wasn't snowing anywhere else in town except in Enka/Candler during a clipper but I am not sure if that will be the case this time.  Nonetheless good moisture upstream and the models have been trending wetter all day. Temp 38.5 here currently.

Agreed, I have noticed that Enka/Candler tends to do alright with these type flows so it will be interesting to see if we get much if anything.  One time it wasn't snowing anywhere else in town except in Enka/Candler during a clipper but I am not sure if that will be the case this time.  Nonetheless good moisture upstream and the models have been trending wetter all day.

Yeah I was thinking the way the band is coming in and the intensity of the band there may be more people get in on the action. It looks like the band will come through then the NW flow may kick in tomorrow. Anyway I like were we stand. A lot better than last night.

Moisture is on our doorstep. Temp down to 30 degrees. Dropping pretty quickly.

Yeah met we are dropping quick in the valley now down to 36 in my back yard.  NAM temp profile looks to be a good 3-5 degrees off from the sounding at hr3 on the 00z so I would say it doesn't have a handle on the solution.  Also displaces moisture and looks nothing like radar.  RAP looks better but temps are still a bit off.  If we drop to 35-34 degrees, 850mb temps will allow flakes to make it to the surface.  This one already looks better than last night.

Yeah met we are dropping quick in the valley now down to 36 in my back yard. NAM temp profile looks to be a good 3-5 degrees off from the sounding at hr3 on the 00z so I would say it doesn't have a handle on the solution. Also displaces moisture and looks nothing like radar. RAP looks better but temps are still a bit off. If we drop to 35-34 degrees, 850mb temps will allow flakes to make it to the surface. This one already looks better than last night.

Certainly has a better chance at producing snow in the valleys! I am down to 33° in MBY (southwest Buncombe county). Projected NAM 850mb temps are below zero after midnight, so I think flakes will survive their downward paths. Biggest question is QPF, which looks to be 0.03-0.05" based on SREF mean. So maybe a dusting in the areas that get it. Won't be widespread, I don't think.

Certainly has a better chance at producing snow in the valleys! I am down to 33° in MBY (southwest Buncombe county). Projected NAM 850mb temps are below zero after midnight, so I think flakes will survive their downward paths. Biggest question is QPF, which looks to be 0.03-0.05" based on SREF mean. So maybe a dusting in the areas that get it. Won't be widespread, I don't think.

HT,  as Met implied, will this transition into more of a NWFS tomorrow ? My spot forecast has a 40% chance of snow showers until 12 tomorrow night. 

HT, as Met implied, will this transition into more of a NWFS tomorrow ? My spot forecast has a 40% chance of snow showers until 12 tomorrow night.

You got it right... A typical NWFS event will follow on the heels of this departing wave. Should be a windy cold day with intermittent snow showers.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! What a beautiful morning out! We have about 2 to 2.5 inches of paste on the ground and it is covering everything! Just beautiful outside. Wow 2 years in a row having a white Thanksgiving. What are the odds. Still snowing lightly with temp of 28 degrees. Will post pics in a little bit when the sun comes up a bit more.

I'm enjoying the beautiful light snow here in the Swannanoa Valley this morning.  We woke up to snow-covered roofs and elevated surfaces.  Just a light dusting, but the snow continues to fall.  It's apparent that the surrounding mountain peaks have quite a bit more than survived down here in the valley.  Temperature is around 35 F here at the house.

My first White Thanksgiving in over 10 years.  (The last one was while visiting family in Michigan.)

Beautiful pics, Met1985.  Thanks for sharing this morning.

I'm enjoying the beautiful light snow here in the Swannanoa Valley this morning.  We woke up to snow-covered roofs and elevated surfaces.  Just a light dusting, but the snow continues to fall.  It's apparent that the surrounding mountain peaks have quite a bit more than survived down here in the valley.  Temperature is around 35 F here at the house.

My first White Thanksgiving in over 10 years.  (The last one was while visiting family in Michigan.)

Beautiful pics, Met1985.  Thanks for sharing this morning.

That's great Calc! Awesome you are seeing snow down there this morning. It is truly magical on Thanksgiving. Also my pleasure just a beautiful morning out. Snowing still moderately.

That's great Calc! Awesome you are seeing snow down there this morning. It is truly magical on Thanksgiving. Also my pleasure just a beautiful morning out. Snowing still moderately.

Nice pics Met!

Radar/webcams show that what is basically round 3 of the snow-in this case NW upslope variety is having less trouble than normal crusing right over the TN line and well into the Balsams. Perhaps the pre-moistened air due to the Clipper last night is helping the cause.  The radar suggests some of the snowshowers are quite intense.

Archived