joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For as long as I can remember, Hendersonville almost always gets temperature readings a degree or 2 lower than Asheville and I've really never understood why.

Think Asheville is a little higher in elevation.  the cold tends to settle in more of the valleys.  like downtown Franklin always is colder than Asheville and was told its a bigger valley much lower in elevation than asheville.

Think Asheville is a little higher in elevation.  the cold tends to settle in more of the valleys.  like downtown Franklin always is colder than Asheville and was told its a bigger valley much lower in elevation than asheville.

Hendersonville is actually higher in elevation. I believe Hendersonville is at 2,152 feet above sea level, Asheville reads at 2,134. However, I do believe Hendersonville sits in more of a valley setting than Asheville. The Balsam mountains to the west/southwest, Bearwallow Highlands range to the east/northeast.

There was a quick update from GSP:

"I ADJUST POPS AND TEMPERATURES...BASED ON THE LATEST MOS AND MODEL
RUNS. IT APPEARS THAT ACCUM SN WILL BE GREATER WITHIN THE MTN
VALLEYS...WITH AREAS SEEING AROUND 2 INCHES. THIS UPDATE WILL
INCREASE THE STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL...WITH PRIMARY FOCUS GIVEN TO THE
VALLEY LOCATIONS."

My forecast for Hendersonville was bumped up to 1-2 inches tonight with less than an inch tomorrow.

Think Asheville is a little higher in elevation. the cold tends to settle in more of the valleys. like downtown Franklin always is colder than Asheville and was told its a bigger valley much lower in elevation than asheville.

that reading for franklin comes from the airport which is about 2150' I believe. The problem with it though is its surrounded by peaks up to 5500'. So all that cold air spills down into that valley. Plus the airport is a good distance away from downtown and the rest of franklin.

Just went out to grab a bite to eat and to my disbelief they have put brine on all the roads here in Boone. Guess they didn't get the memo that i is suppose to start as rain. What a waste.

They did the same here. I saw a truck spraying about 11 this morning. Like I said , they've closed schools. To hear people talk in town a blizzard is coming. A friend of mine posted on facebook that she heard we were going to get 15 inches.  :facepalm:

Looks like the NAM might be coming back east some and bringing the heaviest precip back further east compared to its last run.  The SLP is further off the coast.  Somewhat significant changes for nine hours out, I would think.

The run is a certifiable torch, though.

EDIT: I guess it's actually cooler than the 18z run, though.

Oh it's there. That's an all snow sounding since the ice is falling through a near isothermal layer hovering around zero. That would be a heavy wet snow sounding. NAM hasn't given up on AVL just yet.

Oh, I see what you mean. So, on this sounding, ice survived where isothermal layer usually is and remained falling as snow until it's just above ground with not enough time to melt completely into rain? Is that right?

Oh, I see what you mean. So, on this sounding, ice survived where isothermal layer usually is and remained falling as snow until it's just above ground with not enough time to melt completely into rain? Is that right?

Close. The isothermal layer in that sounding is 900-925mb or so, with the entire column below zero up from 900mb. Thus, anything that falls as ice will stay ice since the isothermal layer is on the zero line.

GSP acknowledges this in their latest discussion and extended the WWA in Buncombe county to no longer be elevation dependent.

Close. The isothermal layer in that sounding is 900-925mb or so, with the entire column below zero up from 900mb. Thus, anything that falls as ice will stay ice since the isothermal layer is on the zero line.

GSP acknowledges this in their latest discussion and extended the WWA in Buncombe county to no longer be elevation dependent.

Good lessons HT.  I really appreciate you posting these thoughts as it will help us all become better forecasters in the future!

Good lessons HT.  I really appreciate you posting these thoughts as it will help us all become better forecasters in the future!

Ditto! Thanks for those posts helping me out!

Archived