• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

The Dec 18 2009 snowstorm was the first time I had ever seen a foot of snow in person. I mean if thats what y'all are promising me I am all in! (Sarcasm, I know that is not what you guys are saying)

The thought of getting flakes around Thanksgiving is good enough for me, having a White Thanksgiving would be even better!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert just made a new post at WXSouth. 

"Significant Snow" for western NC and mountains, may surprise a few others.

I would think as close to the event that we are with more and more models saying snow for the mtns. that th NWS GSP would have at least an HWO by now, especially with it being a major travel day.

I would think as close to the event that we are with more and more models saying snow for the mtns. that th NWS GSP would have at least an HWO by now, especially with it being a major travel day.

Their new discussion indicates they will NOT mention it yet due to the uncertainty in the scope of the snowfall. That is, they are thinking snow, just a few inches, above 4000', with rain elsewhere. This would also imply no snow accumulation for AVL either.

15z SREF looks improved..

15po95z.jpg

GSP has a lot more to lose if this event fails then us on the weather board.  Therefore they are going to wait until things are pretty certain considering how many people travel I-40 through the mountains on their way to a Thanksgiving destination.  If they call for 4-6" and it doesn't happen, a lot of people will be mad about changing their driving schedule because of them.

Their new discussion indicates they will NOT mention it yet due to the uncertainty in the scope of the snowfall. That is, they are thinking snow, just a few inches, above 4000', with rain elsewhere. This would also imply no snow accumulation for AVL either.

I totally respect NWS but I really really respect what Robert puts out.  He is as good if not better than any Mets. I've ever seen.  Just learning what Robert had to say a couple of hours ago I would say most of WNC get ready for snow.  Robert is usually dead on once he makes a call.  We'll see but if I were a betting man Robert is the man.

15z SREF looks improved..

15po95z.jpg

GSP has a lot more to lose if this event fails then us on the weather board.  Therefore they are going to wait until things are pretty certain considering how many people travel I-40 through the mountains on their way to a Thanksgiving destination.  If they call for 4-6" and it doesn't happen, a lot of people will be mad about changing their driving schedule because of them.

I agree totally, I was thinking of a HWO mentioning the fact that there is a (possibility) of there being a winter storm on Wednesday.  I guess later tonight if everything keeps moving toward this scenario they will put out a HWO then.  Thanks guys for all your info.

I agree totally, I was thinking of a HWO mentioning the fact that there is a (possibility) of there being a winter storm on Wednesday. I guess later tonight if everything keeps moving toward this scenario they will put out a HWO then. Thanks guys for all your info.

Gonna need the NAM to get on board before they really go "all-in." Frankly, as much as we love snow, the NAM showing nothing here is still a possibility. Plus it's an American model run from NOAA/NCEP, a partner with NOAA/NWS so gotta do the politically correct thing and give some credit to all model solutions.

Gonna need the NAM to get on board before they really go "all-in." Frankly, as much as we love snow, the NAM showing nothing here is still a possibility. Plus it's an American model run from NOAA/NCEP, a partner with NOAA/NWS so gotta do the politically correct thing and give some credit to all model solutions.

I agree that the nam solution is a possibility but it's a Terrible model.

Ok I see what you mean now.  Thanks

Robert still thinks after the latest models major snowstorm n. ga upstate points north wnc western central va and possibly central nc.  all the upper level features are in place plus dynamic cooling plus it looks like there will be phasing that will create a major winter storm in the mtns of nc and maybe upper sc and points north and northeast. just posted from Robert on facebook 20 minutes ago.

00Z NAM not gonna cut it for western Carolina's. System is too far east and too fast-moving to bring anyone along the entire spine of the Apps much more than a half inch...all the way up to DC. Swing and a miss, though a shift compared to its own other runs. Cue the GFS.

NAM finally starting to cave to Euro/GFS.  Which one would figure would happen anyway given how bad the NAM is 48+ hours out.

Archived