joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing.  It was clear here that is why it dropped so low.  Dropped my son off at Enka Middle and they had snow on the ground.

Usually we get something.  First time in a while a shutout.

Howdy, I drive a school bus for Enka Middle.  Enka District this morning was almost closed for the fact around where I live and around the Home Depot area we couldn't run two buses at all this morning it was so bad, snow covered and icy.  Erwin district did close and we almost closed with them.

Howdy, I drive a school bus for Enka Middle.  Enka District this morning was almost closed for the fact around where I live and around the Home Depot area we couldn't run two buses at all this morning it was so bad, snow covered and icy.  Erwin district did close and we almost closed with them.

Hi Fritschy, I could tell it had to be a borderline call on school or not.  I live 6 miles down Pisgah Hwy and the mountains just to our west stopped any activity for us.

Yup, one inch for Asheville/Woodfin area.

NORTH CAROLINA

...AVERY COUNTY...
NEWLAND 0.1 255 AM 11/18 COUNTY OFFICIAL

...BUNCOMBE COUNTY...
ASHEVILLE 1.0 305 AM 11/18 COUNTY OFFICIAL
1 SE WOODFIN 1.0 155 AM 11/18 TRAINED SPOTTER
2 W ASHEVILLE 0.3 1215 AM 11/18 PUBLIC
1 SSE SKYLAND 0.2 150 AM 11/18 UTILITY COMPANY
BARNARDSVILLE T 845 PM 11/17 COUNTY OFFICIAL
BLACK MOUNTAIN T 948 PM 11/17 PUBLIC

...HAYWOOD COUNTY...
CANTON 0.3 1138 PM 11/17 LIGHT SNOW FALLING.
WAYNESVILLE 0.1 310 AM 11/18 911 CALL CENTER

...MADISON COUNTY...
MARSHALL 1.0 300 AM 11/18 COUNTY OFFICIAL

...MITCHELL COUNTY...
SPRUCE PINE 0.1 256 AM 11/18 911 CALL CENTER

...YANCEY COUNTY...
BURNSVILLE 0.1 258 AM 11/18 911 CALL CENTER

Nice!

The coolest thing about that video is the house at Beech seen on the video cover on the left at the top is the very house I almost bought recently. As you can tell from the video, one of the reasons I didn't get it is that is inaccessible in the Winter time except by walking in as the man made snow blows in and buries the access road. (Also the constant noise generated from nearby chair lift equipment was uncomfortable loud.) The view from this particular home was just as stunning as you can see from the drone footage. (Note also that the Realtor indicated that during a storm a number of years ago-almost every single window in the place was blown out.)

Nice drone video's AirNelson! Was thinking of getting a phantom with the camera attached but I am worried that the FAA might drop the hammer and make them difficult to fly in the areas I would want to. Especially around the city. Not that I blame them, but I would hate to not be able to use it for the things I want considering the cost. Thanks for putting this together and keep up the awesome work!!

Stop the damn bickering. I'm tired of getting reports.  If I have to, I'll delete this entire thread and we will move to a strict weather only format going forward.  The only thing banter has in common with bitching, is they both start with b.  

This thread won't be deleted.  Due to the content of the posts I deleted, I assumed I was in the banter thread.  

Not sure about any snow in the coming week. Still a lot to hammer out in the pattern. I do think we see a cool down as we head for Thanksgiving but the models are just all over the place right know in the Mid to long range. To much going on for them to get a good handle on things right know.

Yeah still a ton of uncertainty in the long range but the Euro Ensemble has 34/50(KAVL) 45/50(Boone) with some type of accumulation in the long range so something to keep an eye on.

00z Euro clown map is a decent event for WNC for Wednesday between 3" to 6" (including Asheville and Boone). Sadly, I leave Monday for a week break from mountains so I'm risking on missing out something.

We will probably get nailed then! Lol. So much inconsistency from the models even in a short period. The Euro has changed a bit and the GFS has changed a lot from yesterday evenings runs. Time to just set back and watch what happens. My bet is the Euro is catching on to the pattern better than the GFS.

A lot has changed since this morning. Can you say White thanksgiving, Maybe just maybe. Both the Euro and the GFS look interesting.

00z Euro clown map is a decent event for WNC for Wednesday between 3" to 6" (including Asheville and Boone). Sadly, I leave Monday for a week break from mountains so I'm risking on missing out something.

Yeah 00z euro looks very favorable for snowfall Wednesday into Thursday.  Timing could be a bit better but the details still need to be hammered out this weekend.  A couple ensemble members have a pretty big snow.  GFS is too warm and east but at this time, I would much rather have the Euro on our side compared to the GFS.

Archived