joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a gust to 56 mph. Wasn't expecting that. Rolled my grill half across the deck. Temp has dropped like a rock the past hour. Went from 39.4 to 33.4 now. Spittin' a flake out here and there too.

Yeah Joe the wind has been insane this evening. It has been ripping out there. Temps have dropped to 36 degrees here. No flakes yet.

GEM, GFS, & Euro all bring the cold.

I am being cautiously optimistic. I want to see what the models show through the weekend. Seems like all it takes is a slight movement northward and we are out of the cold from were the high is positioned. I also do not like how it takes  the cold air a week to make it too use. Something is a little off to me.

I am being cautiously optimistic. I want to see what the models show through the weekend. Seems like all it takes is a slight movement northward and we are out of the cold from were the high is positioned. I also do not like how it takes  the cold air a week to make it too use. Something is a little off to me.

I'm not really worry about the cold coming in at any time next week. I'm worry if the moisture is going to be there during the cold or not.

The snow is flying but nothing is really laying because we are at 32 degrees and the wind is whipping. Also the upcoming pattern is a crapshoot really. Don't put your trust in any model right know at this time frame.

I agree. There's no consensus between all models and none of them are constant. 

EDIT: Thanks goodness for Mountains thread the past few days... SMH

The snow is flying but nothing is really laying because we are at 32 degrees and the wind is whipping. Also the upcoming pattern is a crapshoot really. Don't put your trust in any model right know at this time frame.

Yeah models are all over the place and keep pushing back or supressing storms. Euro ensemble still suggesting something wintery but even they can't agree on a timeframe.

I agree. There's no consensus between all models and none of them are constant. 

EDIT: Thanks goodness for Mountains thread the past few days... SMH

Yes that thread has been a bit over the top to say. I think most just want some snow and winter precip know. I do understand were Marietta is coming from though but to me it really looks as if we will miss out on the major cold here in the SE as ridging nudges in. I am not worried at all about the upcoming pattern here in Novy.

Yes that thread has been a bit over the top to say. I think most just want some snow and winter precip know. I do understand were Marietta is coming from though but to me it really looks as if we will miss out on the major cold here in the SE as ridging nudges in. I am not worried at all about the upcoming pattern here in Novy.

And I understand why others are optimistic about cold pattern repeating. I really don't think cold will be a problem this year, but we do need moisture to be there at same time. It'll be interesting to see for sure!

And I understand why others are optimistic about cold pattern repeating. I really don't think cold will be a problem this year, but we do need moisture to be there at same time. It'll be interesting to see for sure!

Ya I think once The Nino gets really going then we will see more of a moist pattern taking shape across the south. Shoot I hope we really do not see the PV dive into the states like last year because of suppression and such. We are really a month away from really seeing some good winter patterns according to climo. Hey if we get snow great and if we do not great also. I do like a repeated pattern again this year.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=132ℑ=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_132_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20141111+12+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=area

Looks like the high country stands a decent chance of some snow this sunday/sunday night. It will be borderline but if cold enough could be a few inches.

Archived