• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Was in Asheville proper and they had about 3 inches on grass and was snowing constantly at a medium rate while on Tunnel road at the mall.

Got a mile or so up the road to near UNC Asheville, and there was barely patches of snow and none falling. The micro climates up there are incredible!

Lol glad you made the trip! Nwfs cranking up now over downtown. No returns on radar.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here. Just cracked the 7 inch mark. Wind is really starting to crank here again as well. Just noticed GSP is going to allow the WSW expire at 8pm but issued a WWA until tomorrow morning with up to 3 more inches overnight, An amazing first storm this early.

It has been simply beautiful. Snowing all day just like a winter storm. I think rates will pick up with the wind. Look for rates to increase before dusk.

Here are some pics from my sledding adventure to Blowing Rock, NC, this morning.  The intersection of US 221, the BRP, and Shull's Mill Road has fantastic hills for the kids to sled on.  The wind was just ripping the whole time, though; so that made it a little difficult on the kids.  I would say that there was a good 4+ inches of snowfall there, and it was over a foot deep in certain low spots where the wind piled it all up.  The temp was a steady 28 F there.  About 2 PM, we went back down the mountain to my parents' house in Lenoir, just 18 miles away, and it was 48 F with the sun coming out.  It's amazing how different the mountain microclimate is.

Snpexgy.jpg

oxgJmZY.jpg

twlpiDO.jpg

qP2xLpB.jpg

This is the spot from Google Earth for any others that live nearby and might want to go sledding at some time in the future:

sLfKXZn.jpg

Really cool Calc...looks like a good day

Thanks, Grit, it was fantastic to be doing this on November 1.  I'm hoping it will be a good indicator of what is to come this winter.

Met1985 and Hvward, thanks for sharing your pics too.  Great stuff all around.  I really like the one of the maples in Asheville, Hvward.  I've also seen that one in Brad P's twitter feed, so he must have picked up your photo somewhere.  It's truly beautiful.

Ward I did notice moisture picking up along the spine also. Going to be a Great night. Calc awsome pics and a great day for sledding. It is great to share pics today with all. I have more to come tonight. Franklin it will be ok. One of many storms my friend, on of many. Still snowing here and looks like it has basically set in to the night.

Joe what I mentioned earlier is exactly what is happening know. We are seeing moisture break back out along in TN along the spine of the Appalachians. It is hammering at home and here in town again. Has not stopped at home all day. Ward if I am right about the convective nature of these bands some spots could pick up another 3-6 inches just tonight.

Joe what I mentioned earlier is exactly what is happening know. We are seeing moisture break back out along in TN along the spine of the Appalachians. It is hammering at home and here in town again. Has not stopped at home all day. Ward if I am right about the convective nature of these bands some spots could pick up another 3-6 inches just tonight.

You don't know how bad I wish I could live where you do during the winter. It seems like you do generally well in most winter storms we have regardless of what the setup is going by obs. posts I've seen you report over the past couple of winters. Enjoy the snow for the both of us! :snowing:

Yeah man you nailed the NWF we have a nice light snow here in my back yard.  I hope you come home to 15"+ hahaha.  Take pictures!

You were right. Looking at the Jackson, Ky radar you see the moisture ramping up a bit. For my area at least, it's a good station to go for upstream activity. 

You don't know how bad I wish I could live where you do during the winter. It seems like you do generally well in most winter storms we have regardless of what the setup is going by obs. posts I've seen you report over the past couple of winters. Enjoy the snow for the both of us! :snowing:

Thank you. I love the weather especially snow and happen to live in a great place for snow in the SE. I love to share my obs and pics with the board because I know most here in the SE only see a fraction of the snow I get to see even though it is never enough lol.

Nice shots 85. smdh @ this ULL/NWF event. Very impressive 1st winter storm observations from you and joe this year. So just guessing on average this is close to one tenth your annual snow?

Yeah close to it. This is an impressive event for a lot of people. We got a very impressive trough and ULL. I think that our winter pattern could be something similar to this. Robert has a great write up on Facebook about a split flow forming this month.

Archived