joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey man I hope you can post some this winter! Would love to have you posting again! Also what ever happened to the fellow from Mitchell? Would like to see him posting again also.

K4CF! I was wondering the same thing the other day. 12z was very nice, glad to be tracking our second event and it's only November!

K4CF! I was wondering the same thing the other day. 12z was very nice, glad to be tracking our second event and it's only November!

18z GFS is lacking of any snow but I am sure wait and things will change. Either way glad to see the cold show up so early especially in the northern tier. I do think we could see another mild period in December for a couple of weeks.

18z GFS is lacking of any snow but I am sure wait and things will change. Either way glad to see the cold show up so early especially in the northern tier. I do think we could see another mild period in December for a couple of weeks.

i would much rather have the cold in December over November, I hope the warm up in December is brief, I am aiming for another cold Christmas! Of course the models have been so sporadic with the cold temperatures it is hard to keep up

i would much rather have the cold in December over November, I hope the warm up in December is brief, I am aiming for another cold Christmas! Of course the models have been so sporadic with the cold temperatures it is hard to keep up

This is what I think may happen over the next month based on some things. I think we will be below average for temps up until the week of Thanksgiving then the pattern will relax into December which I could see us above average for the first have of December before the AO tanks again and the pv takes a beating. Then I think we roll into the end of December and the hammer drops through the rest of Winter with brief relaxations in the pattern here and there. There is a good read Griteater posted about in the winter thread about when we may fee the effects of the AO taking a dive.

Good Morning.

Certainly a different look to the ECMWF and the new GFS over the 7 to 15 day period.   It will be interesting to see how it plays outs and which one maneuvers the period correctly.

However,  neither are indicative of any significant winter storm threat to North Carolina.    At least the ski slopes will get the Pole Cats fired up for snow making to put down a solid basis for ski season starting on Thursday.

Hey localyokel good to see around!  You still making any snow at nights?  Used to love seeing those posts!

Hey I know him! One of the few who have had the privilege of viewing the world from my mtn top! :) Jackson County rules. ..

Hvward, good to hop back on!!! wasnt around much last year but am making efforts to be apart of the convo this go around. 

Mike!!! Im sooo glad you found this as this is one of the few areas us mtn weather weenies get to geek out and discuss weather locally! Hope your site is going well. Did you install a station yet? 

Hey man I hope you can post some this winter! Would love to have you posting again! Also what ever happened to the fellow from Mitchell? Would like to see him posting again also.

Hey Met1985, good to be back for sure. Not sure about the Mitchell fella, but perhaps we can look into his contacts to find an email and inquire. 

There is decent moisture moving over Knoxville right now headed for the Tenn/NC border.  Could see a few flakes out of this imo.  Man it is windy right now and pretty cold!  It has felt like snow all day if there is such a thing.  As far as Thanksgiving, no way to tell right now that time frame is wayy to far out but maybe in a week or so the models will have a better idea. 

Here mid morning it looks a lot like January again instead of November. Temps have plummeted to 19 degrees with a stiff breeze still. We have moderate to heavy burst of snow know. All surfaces are covered. I would say we have a 1/4 inch of snow on the ground but hard to tell with the wind. Deep cold setting in at least for a week.

Hvward, good to hop back on!!! wasnt around much last year but am making efforts to be apart of the convo this go around. 

Mike!!! Im sooo glad you found this as this is one of the few areas us mtn weather weenies get to geek out and discuss weather locally! Hope your site is going well. Did you install a station yet? 

PJ, no-I haven't had a chance to get up to the mountain in months as I'm busy in Michigan for the time being. I was also hoping to get a local guy to install something for flash flood monitoring but that does't seem to be happening and now that NASA has removed all their equipment to out West(http://olympex.atmos.washington.edu/ ) there isn't any weather instruments at all currently there unfortunately. When my schedule frees up, I will turn my attention back to the mountain.  (Note: In case you missed it, I have the mountain top up for sale. I may end up keeping it but won't know for sure for a few months.  http://www.forsalebyowner.com/listing/Acreage-Land-for-sale-by-owner-Distant-Ridge-Road-28779/24008765 )

Archived