joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When was the last up slope snowfall yall had? Seems like all of Dec has been void. I'd just settle for a true cold front to come sweeping through with a NW wind. It's got to be tough on the slopes right now.

I was thinking the same thing; December has been a monumental drought for NW flow snow.  Even though NW flow only produces flizzards in my neck of the woods; at least that is/was winter weather you could always count on. 

Marion started a nice thread about the arctic blast coming in but wanted to touch on it specifically for the mountains. First I think we have a chance for some snow tomorrow night into early Monday. A think it will be light but a possibility of seeing at least a dusting in th favored upslope areas. It will be cold Monday then a slight moderation until we get to mid week when the hammer drops. I think as it looks right know we could easily see sub zero temps and dangerous wind chills of as low as negative 15 degrees. This will be interesting to watch unfold as we get closer to mid week.

Marion started a nice thread about the arctic blast coming in but wanted to touch on it specifically for the mountains. First I think we have a chance for some snow tomorrow night into early Monday. A think it will be light but a possibility of seeing at least a dusting in th favored upslope areas. It will be cold Monday then a slight moderation until we get to mid week when the hammer drops. I think as it looks right know we could easily see sub zero temps and dangerous wind chills of as low as negative 15 degrees. This will be interesting to watch unfold as we get closer to mid week.

Sorry I haven't checked in with you guys in recent days...but yes, the hammer is going to be dropped down on the North Carolina Mountains starting Wednesday...that will likely be a day stuck in the 20's and 30th with sharply dropping temps by the afternoon...by Thursday morning it should be below zero for most everyone. I wouldn't even rule out zero in Asheville itself.

Man, I thought last year was amazing, to potentially have this a second consecutive year is crazy stuff!

Sorry I haven't checked in with you guys in recent days...but yes, the hammer is going to be dropped down on the North Carolina Mountains starting Wednesday...that will likely be a day stuck in the 20's and 30th with sharply dropping temps by the afternoon...by Thursday morning it should be below zero for most everyone. I wouldn't even rule out zero in Asheville itself.

Man, I thought last year was amazing, to potentially have this a second consecutive year is crazy stuff!

yeah I agree. This is looking very impressive. I would not be surprised to see temps drop In to the teens and single digits through the afternoon like it did last year. This is going to be a big danger to people outside with exposed skin I think.

damn, no snow even for the higher elevations? can someone give me a brief explanation why.. why is this arctic front not producing normal orographic type snow here..

we might have some but the air is extremely dry and deepened on the trajectory of the wind also. If we have more of a north south wind then we will not have great lift at all. Time will tell.

Looks like a few NWF flakes are possible tonight into tomorrow per NAM and 4km NAM especially for those on the TN border.  Will be nice to have the possibility of seeing flakes again.  It seems like it has been forever.

yeah I agree. Winds have really picked up. Temps should start to drop here soon. Will be Nice to see some snow flying.

Temps have plummeted this evening dropping over 20 degrees in about 2 hours. We are sitting at 37 degrees right know and I Swenson moisture starting to bank up against the mountains. Will see we're it goes from here.

I agree, moisture flow looks favorable upstream. Could be a fun night for your elevation. I would think a stray flake or maybe a brief shower is possible in the valleys, but I bet it wouldn't stick.

pretty well just waiting on this arctic blast to come through. I do like the prospect of seeing some snow with the front.

Yeah Met just got on here to post about the little clipper behind the front. Should give the high mountains at least a dusting maybe a flurry or 2 makes it into the valley. Should be interesting.

Archived