joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ward I really like the system from around the 26th. It comes rolling down out of the north and really taps the moisture especially for WNC. The storm before that looks iffy at best right now but we have a week to iron out the details. We are sitting the best with getting snow or rain though. To me you are going to be hard pressed to get snow away from the mountains.

I agree on both points.  Models for the 26th-27th storm are very interesting with a shortwave/clipper I am not really sure what it is, transferring to a coastal off NC.  I really like the setup at 5h right now though per the 18z GFS.  Sharp/deep trough with what looks to be a possible cut off now that I am looking a 5h coming in and across WNC the WNW via TN/KY (odd track).  That is a whole lot of energy coming down from Canada, and if it cuts off, who knows what will happen.  I think for this weekend, things could really trend our way.  I felt like we turn a somewhat metaphorical corner with precip beginning to show up across WNC on the models today.  The only problem was, cold temps disappeared.  We have seen this show before but the new GFS and a doubting euro make everyone hesitant to get excited.  I think it will be a good table setter for more to come to end the month.

There seems to be a mix of opinion on both the 23rd and 26th as possible timeframes for snow...

At this exact moment, I am leaning toward the 23rd actually as the better chance for a widespread synoptic event...I just do not trust what its showing (right now) for the 26th...even though the maps for the 26th show what would be measurable snow across North Carolina, those clipper-types that transfer off the coast usually disappoints and in essence turn out into being nothing more than a arctic front passing with NW flow...

If I have to go to Asheville or the Blue Ridge Pkwy I will.  I want to show my daughter snow....

Blue Ridge Parkway closes rather easy during snowstorms, though. Try camping out at Soco Gap parking lot (4,570 feet) between Cherokee and Maggie Valley or go to parking lot of ski reports between Asheville and Boone.

Blue Ridge Parkway closes rather easy during snowstorms, though. Try camping out at Soco Gap parking lot (4,570 feet) between Cherokee and Maggie Valley or go to parking lot of ski reports between Asheville and Boone.

even when the weather is nice the parkway is always closed in the winter from Cherokee to Asheville. Soco gap does great in nw flow events and has a nice sledding area. I sometimes take the kids over there .

even when the weather is nice the parkway is always closed in the winter from Cherokee to Asheville. Soco gap does great in nw flow events and has a nice sledding area. I sometimes take the kids over there .

Yeah soco it a good place just have to be careful getting back down ifrom it is pounding the snow.

I know we're about to get into storm mode, but I hope it's okay to share this one with y'all because this might be my favorite shot I've ever took. This is from Friday night, but I've been busy until few hours ago to post it. Of all spots in downtown Asheville, this is by far my favorite :)

l2gyY8E.png

Yeah soco it a good place just have to be careful getting back down ifrom it is pounding the snow.

No kidding. I visited Soco Gap for the first time Friday night on way to GSMNP and back. I've never seen so many stars in my life until I stopped at that parking lot to stargraze. However, the drive down in darkness was pretty intense to say at least...

I know we're about to get into storm mode, but I hope it's okay to share this one with y'all because this might be my favorite shot I've ever took. This is from Friday night, but I've been busy until few hours ago to post it. Of all spots in downtown Asheville, this is by far my favorite :)

l2gyY8E.png

No kidding. I visited Soco Gap for the first time Friday night on way to GSMNP and back. I've never seen so many stars in my life until I stopped at that parking lot to stargraze. However, the drive down in darkness was pretty intense to say at least...

wow beautiful picture man. Yeah soco road is straight down the mountain and if it is bad enough I have seen them close it.

wow beautiful picture man. Yeah soco road is straight down the mountain and if it is bad enough I have seen them close it.

Thanks man. Hvward really did a great job teaching me the basics and my shots will only get better from here especially since my recent pictures were from a $300 beginner camera. I can only imagine how $1000 full-frame DSLR can do...

Wow, I guess it's hard to find a spot that won't close in an intense snowstorm. Sams Gap might be the most reliable high elevation location during major events, although it's only at 3,700 feet.

Thanks man. Hvward really did a great job teaching me the basics and my shots will only get better from here especially since my recent pictures were from a $300 beginner camera. I can only imagine how $1000 full-frame DSLR can do...

Wow, I guess it's hard to find a spot that won't close in an intense snowstorm. Sams Gap might be the most reliable high elevation location during major events, although it's only at 3,700 feet.

We'll it is all about location also. I tell ya the balsam do awsome with southern storms also. You can find some great local areas that are not that far away.

BYes, beautiful picture.  Were you on the north or south side of the I-240 gap for that picture?

I love to experience snow in the woods and I'm always looking for the best spot for high elevation snow with reasonable access.  Roan Mtn. is great but it is long way from Asheville.  It can be rough in a big storm too.  I wish I could find a good spot near Big Bald from Sam's Gap.  Soco is a go-to spot for me, wish the sledding hill was bigger.  

Weather:  I like the current look of this storm and hope GFS would get on board.  Huge changes today except on NAVGEM, it is only one run of the Euro but it is following a classic storm track, which I think raises the probability for it being correct.   

BYes, beautiful picture.  Were you on the north or south side of the I-240 gap for that picture?

I love to experience snow in the woods and I'm always looking for the best spot for high elevation snow with reasonable access.  Roan Mtn. is great but it is long way from Asheville.  It can be rough in a big storm too.  I wish I could find a good spot near Big Bald from Sam's Gap.  Soco is a go-to spot for me, wish the sledding hill was bigger.  

Weather:  I like the current look of this storm and hope GFS would get on board.  Huge changes today except on NAVGEM, it is only one run of the Euro but it is following a classic storm track, which I think raises the probability for it being correct.   

North side as usual. I don't think you can get good angle from south side anyway.

Yeah, Roan Mountain was awesome when I went there for November 1st event but high winds was an issue because all of snow were blown into drifts. Sledding was also awesome from Sams Gap that day as well :) These areas might be too far north this time around, so I'll wager Soco is the spot to be if we do get something.

Nice shot man!  You are getting really good!

A $300 camera has the same settings as a DSLR  ;)   btw....nice picture  :D  

It's possible to be several more years before you guys get a perfect fully phased miller A track like this one giving you a synoptic January textbook classic storm. And like was just posted I can't beleive the temps turning so God awful. 2 days ago it was looking like no qpf and 850s at -5. Hopefully that clipper doesn't trend north over the next 5 days. It has to be on super steroids and track across sc / nc border to get mby a inch.

It's possible to be several more years before you guys get a perfect fully phased miller A track like this one giving you a synoptic January textbook classic storm. And like was just posted I can't beleive the temps turning so God awful. 2 days ago it was looking like no qpf and 850s at -5. Hopefully that clipper doesn't trend north over the next 5 days. It has to be on super steroids and track across sc / nc border to get mby a inch.

YEAH this winter has been very weird and I'm tired of not having any freaking help from the nao region!

12z ECMWF ensembles look lot better today for Asheville.

22/51 members got 2+ inches and 48/51 got measurable snow. Mean is almost 3".

Boone look amazing with majority of members above 3" for this weekend (and half of them 5+ inches) and getting mean of 7" by the time we're done with Miller A and clipper. There's also several big dogs breaking 10" mark. I think Sugar Mountain will be the spot for NC chasers.

Things trended our way today in the mountains with the LP track but cold air is still a concern.  A few soundings I just looked at from the 18z GFS around Asheville have 3c surface temps as the main precip arrives..  I really want to see these soundings trend colder before I go all in.  Not saying it has to show a totally frozen column, but I want to see it around 1c-2c at 2m and pray for dynamic cooling.

Things trended our way today in the mountains with the LP track but cold air is still a concern. A few soundings I just looked at from the 18z GFS around Asheville have 3c surface temps as the main precip arrives.. I really want to see these soundings trend colder before I go all in. Not saying it has to show a totally frozen column, but I want to see it around 1c-2c at 2m and pray for dynamic cooling.

our problem is 850 temps rise above freezing.

Archived