• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

how much snow have you gotten this year?

A little over 13 inches. Most of that is nickle and dime stuff that came in Nov. The exception being the Halloween storm. Almost nothing since the first of Dec.

I know some would think I shouldn't complain but expected totals are relative to normal and what you're use to. I should be around 30 by this time of year.  

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little over 13 inches. Most of that is nickle and dime stuff that came in Nov. The exception being the Halloween storm. Almost nothing since the first of Dec.

I know some would think I shouldn't complain but expected totals are relative to normal and what you're use to. I should be around 30 by this time of year.

yeah I posted in the other thread about some areas in the mtns not hitting average this year.

Everything dusted over know with a very heavy burst of snow. That moisture coming in from the NW is going to hammer the boarder counties to tonight.

not sure if this thread includes NGA mtns, but I'll give it a shot.  Yes I notice that next wave is really diving down thru Western KY and TN.  not sure if that means its gonna come relatively far south enough and give me some flurries here in nga, or if the system is going to really make it do a quick turn to the east when it gets cranked up.   either way, looks like you guys are in business. 

not sure if this thread includes NGA mtns, but I'll give it a shot.  Yes I notice that next wave is really diving down thru Western KY and TN.  not sure if that means its gonna come relatively far south enough and give me some flurries here in nga, or if the system is going to really make it do a quick turn to the east when it gets cranked up.   either way, looks like you guys are in business.

post as much as you want in here. I think y'all have a chance tonight with this dropping down from the north northwest. I actually think y'all Will do well in the impulse that will come in tomorrow and tomorrow night according to the GFS. I would keep my eye out though tonight.

Moisture is really blossoming in TN with that band coming in. So far so good.

It's making a bee line for the southern mtns and N GA. Looks like it'll be south of us. Good luck, maybe a nice surprise for some!

We've had a few flurries today but that's it. It's cold though. Temps started nose diving around 3 this afternoon. Down to 20.5 with wind gusts to 28.

It's making a bee line for the southern mtns and N GA. Looks like it'll be south of us. Good luck, maybe a nice surprise for some!

We've had a few flurries today but that's it. It's cold though. Temps started nose diving around 3 this afternoon. Down to 20.5 with wind gusts to 28.

Joe I think y'all get in on it also but yeah the way it I moving looks primed for us down here. Yeah temps are dropping pretty good. Down to 25 degrees here with some stiff wind.

At least i saw some flakes yesterday. What a disappointing winter. I had hopes for the system next week but it looks like another 30's and rain type of deal :/

Well, if we repeat the past few years we will end up with multiple NWFS events and killing freezes in April :axe:

Madison County is great if you like old, rural buildings and also in a good spot for NWFS/clipper coming through Sunday evening/Monday morning. One of better mountains for snow photography is definitely Max Patch, also in Madison County, but Roan Mountain at 6,200 feet is also worth a long drive as well if you want little extreme weather. Best waterfalls are mostly in Brevard/Franklin areas, and not in prime NWFS areas, but Soco Falls between Maggie Valley and Cherokee might get some NWFS. In fact, Soco Gap nearby is a great starting point for most snow events in WNC but I'm not 100% sure that's a place to be for this upcoming clipper.

Personally, Roan Mountain/Carvers Gap is a fun little Appalachian Trail adventure with some old barns on the way at lower elevations as long as you take US-19 through Burnsville. There will be some rime ice and some NWFS at the top on Monday, I'm sure.

Thanks for the tips- the Roan Mtn area was nice yesterday, about 5" and some wind. Will try Soco Gap today.

Archived