joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As mentioned on previous page, at least for us mountain folks, we got several upcoming chances for a minor snow events in WNC. First, both 12z ECMWF and 12z 4km NAM are picking up on some frontal moisture turning into snow tomorrow night. Thanks to impressive 500mb vort passage, along with cold front entering the area, some of this moisture could give valley areas some dusting. However, I'm keeping my eye on this Sunday's potential NWFS event. 12z ECMWF and 12z GFS both pretty much gave high elevation areas couple of inches with a shot at an inch for valley towns.

It's worth noting 12z GFS doesn't see anything tomorrow night, so GFS snow map below is almost 100% from Sunday's event. Btw, I'm a big fan of this new resolution versus old GFS!

AAyptMd.png

fQ44ICh.png

Thanks wxblue. The euro looked primed and wow the next ten days look great for potential. Also noticed that the euro sharpens the trough a lot for tomorrow.

All of this is starting to look like 2014 winter all over again. I'm very optimistic for this pattern!

tell me about it, the euro control had 20"+ totals from about Asheville and all of southwest nc.

I would take that in a heartbeat for the next two weeks. It really looks like everything is coming together here in the shirt term. The euro control took a huge step today even with ensemble support.

I must be missing something because I don't see anything like that on Weatherbell. Granted, it's only up to 240 hours but...

Yep things flipped really quick, the models tried to show a chance at snow for WNC tomorrow night over this past weekend but lost it as the week progressed.  Sometimes these turn into decent event, we shall see.  Long range looks awesome on the 18z GFS and 12z Euro ensemble, but I am hesitant because the Euro ensemble has been missing lately.  All and all just glad we have something to track, but I am resistant of buying into anything just yet because the models have been pretty inconsistent as of late. 

6z NAM 4km looks good for this afternoon in the higher mountains.  Looks like surface temps will be the battle in the lower elevations but 850mb temps look to be -2c at the airport during the bulk of the precip with surface temps around 37 degrees.  I will be interesting to see if this precip falls as snow or just a wet rain.  I will be up in Maggie Valley all day, so I am hoping to see a few flakes before I head home.  Should be a fun little event that kind of snuck up on us as the models begin to bring back the look they showed over the weekend.

6z NAM 4km looks good for this afternoon in the higher mountains. Looks like surface temps will be the battle in the lower elevations but 850mb temps look to be -2c at the airport during the bulk of the precip with surface temps around 37 degrees. I will be interesting to see if this precip falls as snow or just a wet rain. I will be up in Maggie Valley all day, so I am hoping to see a few flakes before I head home. Should be a fun little event that kind of snuck up on us as the models begin to bring back the look they showed over the weekend.

if you are gonna be in Maggie take 19 up to soco gap, it will be all snow there.

6z NAM 4km looks good for this afternoon in the higher mountains.  Looks like surface temps will be the battle in the lower elevations but 850mb temps look to be -2c at the airport during the bulk of the precip with surface temps around 37 degrees.  I will be interesting to see if this precip falls as snow or just a wet rain.  I will be up in Maggie Valley all day, so I am hoping to see a few flakes before I head home.  Should be a fun little event that kind of snuck up on us as the models begin to bring back the look they showed over the weekend.

Nice man you are my neck of the woods a bit. Yeah go up soco mountain to the parkway up there or go up to the ski area.

Looks like some possible NWFS tomorrow morning for the high mountains.  Don't think it will be too much and seems to be a more northern flow.  Nonetheless, two chances at flakes in a week is a record for this winter.  Models still suppressing the threat for next weekend but who knows at this point.  I am waiting until Tuesday/Wednesday to judge, by that time we should have a better picture of the situation.

Looks like some possible NWFS tomorrow morning for the high mountains. Don't think it will be too much and seems to be a more northern flow. Nonetheless, two chances at flakes in a week is a record for this winter. Models still suppressing the threat for next weekend but who knows at this point. I am waiting until Tuesday/Wednesday to judge, by that time we should have a better picture of the situation.

Yeah models have been flat out horrible with storms this season.

I'm starting to think we may be in for fun and games this weekend

Agreed Marion. This could really begin to trend our way in the next 3 days. Not buying in quite just yet, but this could be our most legit threat so far this winter (besides halloween). I am looking forward to the euro ensemble.

32/50 12z euro ensemble members have the 23rd storm (4 big dogs) and 31/50 see some type of frozen accumulation around the 26th-27th for Asheville.  Would really like to see qpf ticking up on the operationals, but this is no cad event so we should be in the best spot to see flakes other then N NC when compared to the rest of the board.  If this were to phase I think wnc gets hammered with this one.

Ward I really like the system from around the 26th. It comes rolling down out of the north and really taps the moisture especially for WNC. The storm before that looks iffy at best right know but we have a week to iron out the details. We are sitting the best with getting snow or rain though. To me you are going to be hard pressed to get snow away from the mountains.

Archived