joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coldest of this Air Mass Starting to Move Out of NC Mountains at 850mb level, however, it's still COLD.

Using minute by minute data from Mount Mitchell overnight, Mitchell attained a low of -14.3 from 1:40am this morning to 2:24am this morning.

Since that time, the temperatures at the Mitchell summit level have been rising and now is +1.2f at 5:45am.

See the attached spreadsheet for minute by minute observations over the last 24 hours. (Spreadsheet files are not allowed on our site so converted to *prn *txt)

gRqnNzx.jpg

Similar conditions were experienced at the slightly lower elevation of Grandfather Mountain

Ir9PkVs.jpg

mitchell obs.txt

Coldest of this Air Mass Starting to Move Out of NC Mountains at 850mb level, however, it's still COLD.

Using minute by minute data from Mount Mitchell overnight, Mitchell attained a low of -14.3 from 1:40am this morning to 2:24am this morning.

Since that time, the temperatures at the Mitchell summit level have been rising and now is +1.2f at 5:45am.

See the attached spreadsheet for minute by minute observations over the last 24 hours. (Spreadsheet files are not allowed on our site so converted to *prn *txt)

gRqnNzx.jpg

Similar conditions were experienced at the slightly lower elevation of Grandfather Mountain

Ir9PkVs.jpg

Mt. Leconte hit -15F last night - so that sounds about right.

Got down to 12.2 last night before it warmed to 18.5 by sunrise. Ray is mentioning a "messy"week coming up.

yeah weird last night. Our temp was all over the place. We ended up bottoming out at 15 degrees. Yeah this next week looks messy for sure. Really do not know what is going to happen right know. A lot of energy though.

Euro ensemble has been interesting the past few runs, but I am hesitant to buy it since it swung and missed pretty bad for our area last month.

Agreed.  The big issue of late is that we seem to be always chasing a "day 8-10 storm".  That is to say, the storms that are forecast never seem to get inside day 3, and if they do, they look to be all liquid (such as is the case for the Sunday night rain event now for the region).  So I am putting very little faith in anything beyond about day 4, since nothing in fantasy-land is verifying and we are just not getting anything to really monitor inside that time window.

Agreed. The big issue of late is that we seem to be always chasing a "day 8-10 storm". That is to say, the storms that are forecast never seem to get inside day 3, and if they do, they look to be all liquid (such as is the case for the Sunday night rain event now for the region). So I am putting very little faith in anything beyond about day 4, since nothing in fantasy-land is verifying and we are just not getting anything to really monitor inside that time window.

yeah the models have been horrible in the 7+ days out. Just a wait and see.

Had a low of 6.6 but it was 12.2 by sunrise. Hate to say it, but it's getting kinda' old. I need a few days of 40's to thaw. Or it could snow, which ever.

another cold morning with a low of 11 degrees. Joe I enjoy this weather to a point.I would rather have snow on the ground than cold with bare ground. Will that change later on well who knows. Take care Joe.

Thanks, y'all! The coolest part about the whole thing was that today is actually my birthday. That picture I took was the very first shot using my new 55-200mm lens I got yesterday and it was very useful to zoom in on the cloud from miles away. Guess that was a nice gift from Mother Nature :)

It just showed up on my Twitter feed.  Retweeted by Brad Panavich.  We have a famous photographer in our midst.

Yeah, Nate Johnson of WRAL did as well and other meteorologists from all over Southeast shared it. I had several people from my hometown Lowcounty SC asking me about it just a moment ago :)

Thanks, y'all! The coolest part about the whole thing was that today is actually my birthday. That picture I took was the very first shot using my new 55-200mm lens I got yesterday and it was very useful to zoom in on the cloud from miles away. Guess that was a nice gift from Mother Nature :)

Yeah, Nate Johnson of WRAL did as well and other meteorologists from all over Southeast shared it. I had several people from my hometown Low county SC asking me about it just a moment ago :)

You did a good job with the exposure.  I've seen many similar photos where the mountains would be totally black. It's great the way it is but you could probably work it over in Photoshop and end up with something stunning. All the data is there from the darkest shadows to the brightest point in the sky.

You did a good job with the exposure.  I've seen many similar photos where the mountains would be totally black. It's great the way it is but you could probably work it over in Photoshop and end up with something stunning. All the data is there from the darkest shadows to the brightest point in the sky.

This is what I am talking about when I said the dark shadow data is all there.  I did a 2 minute adjustment. I didn't bother to mask for this but used a simple gradient to bring out the foreground foliage a bit.  I also tweaked the exposure.  Depending on your taste it could be better or worse.  lol   Since the clouds are the main focus the dark foreground may have been better.  I was just making a point about the ability to retrieve shadow detail due to your excellent choice of exposure.

medium800.jpg

This is what I am talking about when I said the dark shadow data is all there.  I did a 2 minute adjustment. I didn't bother to mask for this but used a simple gradient to bring out the foreground foliage a bit.  I also tweaked the exposure.  Depending on your taste it could be better or worse.  lol   Since the clouds are the main focus the dark foreground may have been better.  I was just making a point about the ability to retrieve shadow detail due to your excellent choice of exposure.

It helps that I took this picture in RAW file (which includes far more image data than JPEG) before editing it in Lightroom. When I was taking shots of this cloud, I intentionally did different exposures ranging from -1 to +1 and this shot was about -0.33 from Nikon with cheap CPL filter smoothing out clouds somewhat. Next thing I did was to darken the sky using gradient feature in Lightroom by decreasing exposure and increasing contrast. I also brushed lenticular cloud even so slightly darker to make it stand out in the sky. The only thing I wish that I edited out before posting online is that little dark streak hanging out on bottom left side of the lowest deck of cloud but I'm pretty happy with the sky otherwise. Foreground was even tougher because it was a bright cloudy sky, but I managed to brighten up trees somewhat without adding in too much noise. Like you said, maybe I should've add in more exposure to trees to make the foreground brighter but it's risky with the noise since my Nikon is designed for beginners. Thankfully, Blue Ridge mountains did most of work for me with natural gradient from that haze blue so I added in little touch of saturation to brighten up the blue and avoided heavy editing. Finally, I smoothed out the noise for the sky and mountains and added hint of sharpness to trees. It's a lot of work because I'm extremely picky with little details, but I'm pretty happy how this came out :) 

It helps that I took this picture in RAW file (which includes far more image data than JPEG) before editing it in Lightroom. When I was taking shots of this cloud, I intentionally did different exposures ranging from -1 to +1 and this shot was about -0.33 from Nikon with cheap CPL filter smoothing out clouds somewhat. Next thing I did was to darken the sky using gradient feature in Lightroom by decreasing exposure and increasing contrast. I also brushed lenticular cloud even so slightly darker to make it stand out in the sky. The only thing I wish that I edited out before posting online is that little dark streak hanging out on bottom left side of the lowest deck of cloud but I'm pretty happy with the sky otherwise. Foreground was even tougher because it was a bright cloudy sky, but I managed to brighten up trees somewhat without adding in too much noise. Like you said, maybe I should've add in more exposure to trees to make the foreground brighter but it's risky with the noise since my Nikon is designed for beginners. Thankfully, Blue Ridge mountains did most of work for me with natural gradient from that haze blue so I added in little touch of saturation to brighten up the blue and avoided heavy editing. Finally, I smoothed out the noise for the sky and mountains and added hint of sharpness to trees. It's a lot of work because I'm extremely picky with little details, but I'm pretty happy how this came out :) 

You should be.  It's an awesome shot.

I like the next couple of days coming up. It looks like we have a chance of snow around Thursday and another chance of some NWFS towards the end of the weekend with a pretty strong cold front. All in all it looks a bit Interesting for the mountains.

that one on Sunday is one to watch, if the s/w in question can dig a little more. Next week has chances too.

Archived