joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A nice surprise when I got home as in snowing pretty good. Snow blowing all over the road and coming down nicely.

You were in the sweet spot for this one Met. Stars are out here with just a heavy dusting to show for this storm. It was awful cold today though.  Had a high today of 22.7 with a nasty wind. Down to 18.4 now and breezy.

What's up for the Thurs. night period ?

You were in the sweet spot for this one Met. Stars are out here with just a heavy dusting to show for this storm. It was awful cold today though. Had a high today of 22.7 with a nasty wind. Down to 18.4 now and breezy.

What's up for the Thurs. night period ?

wow a cold day for sure. Cannot believe yall didn't do that well. Yeah from yesterday this morning and tonight I would say we ended up with about an inch and a half. Looks like we start out as rain Thursday night and the transition to snow pretty soon after midnight the looks like some upslope for fiday.

If you go to unca you will be accustomed to the term "snow hole" 

Tell me something I don't know :( However, this is a very impressive NWFS that could overcome mountains into valley floor. We're actually getting dusting from this current NWFS the past 2 nights.

Tell me something I don't know :( However, this is a very impressive NWFS that could overcome mountains into valley floor. We're actually getting dusting from this current NWFS the past 2 nights.

Yea, when i went there we got around half a inch from a NWFS event. Wind was crazy. Hard to get more than a dusting there :/ 

NWF looks good for tomorrow night into Friday.. even in the valleys.  Both the NAM and GFS show precip breaking through then higher mountains and spilling into the French Broad Valley.  I am betting someone outside of the mountains like Weaverville sees at least a dusting from this flow.

ls it not ashame when we get excited over a dusting of snow?   What a miserable winter.  Sure hoping we have a great Feb. and March.  I've lived in the mtns. my whole life and this has to be the worst ever.  50's and 60's we use to get a lot of storms out of the gulf which produced good snowstorms plus the cold was always around.  What has happened to our atmosphere or what ever is causing this no storm or if it is a storm it warms up and rains.  :axe::bag:

ls it not ashame when we get excited over a dusting of snow?   What a miserable winter.  Sure hoping we have a great Feb. and March.  I've lived in the mtns. my whole life and this has to be the worst ever.  50's and 60's we use to get a lot of storms out of the gulf which produced good snowstorms plus the cold was always around.  What has happened to our atmosphere or what ever is causing this no storm or if it is a storm it warms up and rains.  :axe::bag:

the thing is we have have no blocking in the AO and NAO region this year. My reliability of the SAI has taken a huge hit this winter. I am putting more weight on watching the solar aspect of the influence on our weather. It will be very interesting to reach Cohen's thought on why we ended up with a plus 1 so verification instead of a negative 1 verification. Thoroughly disappointed.

We are in a prolonged snow drought, the records show that... The question is why? Is it really just a cyclical trend that will bounce back soon, or is something bigger going on...

I was thinking the same thing. We have been in a snow drought since 2011. Blocking has been crap also. Was wondering if we are just on a bad cycle and maybe we pull out of it 8n a year or two.

I was thinking the same thing. We have been in a snow drought since 2011. Blocking has been crap also. Was wondering if we are just on a bad cycle and maybe we pull out of it 8n a year or two.

If you look at my sig, you can see MBY in Marion has experienced only 3 winters at or above average in the last 11. If you remove those three winters only 6.5 inches has fallen in 8 years combined of the past 11 winters...

Nothing issued for us here in the northern mountains. This must be another 40 south storm. Y'all are doing much better than us this year. Good luck !!!

well there is an advisory issued right along the TN/NC line on the TN side. Not sure why it has not been extended to our side really. Yeah we are doing ok this year from everyone else. We are at 17.5 inches for the year which stinks but hey it can all change with one storm.

NWF across the KY and now Nashville radar look good. Slight returns begininng to show up on KMRX radar also. Hope you guys in the high mountains get hammered! Winds should be wicked, especially along the escarpment through the day tomorrow.. hang on guys ha.

Yeah the winds are going to be bitter. Should be some blowing snow around also.

I see that Buncombe County schools are closed today. How bout some obs from the Asheville area fellas.

Yeah, I'm interested in what's going on especially in the Leicester area. Our high school is scheduled to play basketball up there tonight. Is it bad enough to possibly postpone?

Archived