joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oct. 31st - Nov. 2nd wind and cold event

MN Transplant

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this was Jan/Feb I would have that sinking feeling right now...gusts are down to 35mph on the euro as an added bonus. Stupid wind. 

Gotta wait until the shortwave is sampled. And take into consideration the model biases at this lead. There's plenty of time for favorable changes. The dgex and jma still show a storm. 

Does the sampeling argument have any science behind it or is that pure weenieness? I don't really remember any storm suddenly becoming clear once the energy came onto the pac nw...

Does the sampeling argument have any science behind it or is that pure weenieness? I don't really remember any storm suddenly becoming clear once the energy came onto the pac nw...

I would think it is based on the simple proposition that as you get closer in time, the forecast improves because the models are no longer reaching a solution based on assumptions of the atmos but facts and current conditions.

Mr. Chill doesn't weenie like us mortals. I would imagine that the argument is better sampling closer to the event reduces the possibility of getting those wild long range solutions that so many of us latch onto.

I used to weenie out like the worst offenders for years but I accidentally learned stuff over time that I wish I didn't. 

I was using the sampling weenieism in jest. It's always tossed out there in the winter when a shortwave hasn't hit the coast but ops are trending in the wrong direction. Satellite and plane/ship data does plenty good so it's not like there is some giant data hole anywhere. 

Most of it boils down to time/skill and as mitch just said, the closer in the less chance for errors in initial conditions and zillions of variables that happen over time. Models have amazing skill regardless even though they get bashed a lot. Numerical models are far away from near perfect accuracy. Especially when dealing with complicated interactions like what we have on tap. A parked SE ridge is one thing. Fast moving and very amplified pattern with tight spacing and phase interaction is like a math problem that really can't be solved. Even as it's happening there are things that won't go exactly as planned. We see it all the time. 

We're right at the edge of op models "decent" skill imo. Ensembles are still very useful. We'll see how it goes. 

I took a closer look at the euro ens run. Eh, not really much improvement here. Seems like models are converging on the same general idea. The offshore low looks to be too far east as h5 closes and phases with the energy rotating down. The best strengthening looks to happen too late and ne of us to get in on the goods. Ens mslp maps are pretty consistent with only a weak surface low sliding underneath us but joining a big party off the coast of NJ. 

I would hedge that heavy precip mostly skips us but eastern NE may end up with quite a storm. Not sure about snow but another round of high winds and heavy rain seems to be becoming more likely up there. 

FWIW, this is part of the WPC Long-Term Discussion. They seem to consider the chance for some snow somewhere in our area during the tale end of the "event".

THERE IS SOME THREAT OF CLOSING AN ANOMALOUSLY COLD LOW

NEAR THE MID-ATLANTIC BUT REGARDLESS ACTS TO SOLIDIFY AN

ASSOCIATED SURFACE LOW/FRONTAL THEN COASTAL SYSTEM WITH WRAPPING

PCPN INTO THE MID-ATLANTIC/NORTHEAST WITH FREEZING TEMPS POTENTIAL

ALSO TRAILING DOWN THROUGH THE SRN/SERN US. THERE IS A REAL RISK

OF HEAVIER SNOWS ON THE BACKSIDE OF THIS SYSTEM OFF THE LAKES INTO

ESPECIALLY THE APPALACHIANS AND POSSIBLY INTO THE MID-ATLANTIC AND

PORTIONS/TERRAIN ACROSS THE NORTHEAST.

Full link: http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdepd

Archived