joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Screaming Sou'easter disco/obs 10/16/14

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outside of any convective elements I don't see much in the way of strong winds across the region Thursday into Friday.  Winds aloft aren't overly impressive and there will be a pretty sizable inversion just above the surface.  

If anything, we will see "stronger" wind gusts tomorrow than we will Thursday lol

the signal though for torrential rains is definitely there...I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-3'' of rain with perhaps close to 4'' of rain in some spots.  

QPF is always a crap shoot in these setups. You can end up with a quick hitting inch or so and not much else or training convection and then all bets are off. The 12z GFS had PWAT's > 1.5"

gfs_namer_048_850_pw_ht.gif

QPF is always a crap shoot in these setups. You can end up with a quick hitting inch or so and not much else or training convection and then all bets are off. The 12z GFS had PWAT's > 1.5"

gfs_namer_048_850_pw_ht.gif

Pretty high PWATS certainly and also you have the system beginning to occlude and the strongest isentropic literally right over SNE, on both the NAM/GFS.  While the strongest LLJ stays off-shore, which is one reason why for lack of wind threat with this, but that places us on the nose of the jet which will enhance llvl convergence and lift.  

Guess we'll see come verification . Noyes isn't one to hype

I'm just not seeing much in the way to support strong winds or severe t'storms...to see stronger winds transported down to the surface I would like to see a bit more instability in and around the boundary layer, however, the instability is all elevated, above the boundary layer, and unless that instability can get tapped into stronger winds aren't going to mix down and it's going to be tough to develop surface-based convection I think.  we could certainly see elevated storms, however, an inversion will prevent much of the winds from mixing down and the winds aren't all that strong to begin with.  

The system will also be transitioning to the dissipating stage so we will see occlusion occur and this will lead to weakening wind fields aloft and also lead to a weakening in forcing.  

Those PWATs are like 300% of normal up here...pretty decent heavy rain signal for whoever gets the best training.  Looks like a widespread ~1" with the potential for 2+ wherever the best moisture stream sets-up.  The whole upper level low slows down as it moves in, so the potential is there to just sit and pump moisture out of the SSE into the northeast.

Those PWATs are like 300% of normal up here...pretty decent heavy rain signal for whoever gets the best training.  Looks like a widespread ~1" with the potential for 2+ wherever the best moisture stream sets-up.  The whole upper level low slows down as it moves in, so the potential is there to just sit and pump moisture out of the SSE into the northeast.

Yeah...juicy. +3SD to +4SD.

PWAT-18.gif

Archived