joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2014

Rtd208

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come the Euro and to an extent the GFS are so much more wet than the NAM? The Euro had over half an inch for the tristate and the GFS was close to that. The NAM barely has a tenth.

The GFS has a tendency to "smooth" out convection, most of the more steady rain is NW of us so our area will likely have the typical totals of summertime convection, some areas will see an inch or so while others see almost nothing.

How come the Euro and to an extent the GFS are so much more wet than the NAM? The Euro had over half an inch for the tristate and the GFS was close to that. The NAM barely has a tenth.

MT HOLLY TUESDAY NIGHT...A NEGATIVELY TILTED SHORTWAVE DISTURBANCE SWINGING

NORTHEAST FROM THE OHIO VALLEY WILL CAUSE ISOLATED OR SCT THUNDER IN

E PA/NW NJ AND POSSIBLY E MD, AND CERTAINLY A BAND OF SHOWERS WITH

CHANCE FOR RAIN DECREASING CONSIDERABLY SOUTH OF KPHL. AMOUNTS ARE

GENERALLY UNDER ONE INCH. PWAT 1.3 INCHES AND DIFFLUENT THICKNESS

COULD YIELD A SIGNIFICANT BAND OF HEAVY SHOWERS AND TSTMS IN E PA

AND WESTERN NJ LATE TUE EVENING.

FROM THE MID SHIFT DISCUSSION: AN IMPRESSIVE 55-60 KT SOUTHERLY

LOW-LEVEL JET AHEAD OF ATTENDANT COLD FRONT WILL TRANSPORT DEEPER

SUB-TROPICAL MOISTURE UP THE EASTERN SEABOARD. EXPECT MORE

WIDESPREAD PRECIP WITH THIS SYSTEM BUT ONCE AGAIN AN INTERIOR TRACK

OF THE SHORTWAVE TROUGH WILL FAVOR THE HEAVIEST PRECIP OVER THE

NORTHWESTERN TIER OF THE CWA. THERE IS A CONCERN FOR GUSTY WINDS

ASSOCIATED WITH THIS TROUGH. LACK OF MLCAPE LIMITS SVR POTENTIAL BUT

40 KT GUSTS ARE POSSIBLE WITH A TSTM I95 NWWD.

All of the major models except for the NAM salvage 80%+ of Saturday. The NAM is a total washout. The GGEM is way south and a distant outlier. The GFS is a bit more robust than the Euro. We'll have to see which camp the models sway towards today.

I'd lean towards drier, at least up here that has been the trend for months now.

Agree. The 0z euro is further south and also ends most of the rain by 7-8am Saturday.

It's also much weaker in general. The 6z GFS is a ton of rain. I'm wonder if the 12z continues that wet look. 

I'll give it to the NAM with last night's event though. It was very dry for our area and most places around the tristate got very little rain.

I am hoping there is no rain sunday so i can actually get on some bunker pods outside fire island inlet after work! Sunday and yesterday were a no go because of rough seas in the bay and ocean

LOL. Besides me and maybe 1-2 more members, I doubt anyone understands the meaning of "bunker pods".

Nice.

You would think that with such a negative AO/NAO that we would see more cooler, stormier conditions. The rest of this month looks very mild but probably wetter so that's never a bad thing.

I don't care if October torches because it's how the parameters are setting up that matters and if we're able to get those -AO/NAO periods along with a good Siberian snow advance, and how NPAC SSTs are doing are what matters.

November is another story though, most below average Novembers set the tone for the following winter so I wouldn't want a November torch at all.

You would think that with such a negative AO/NAO that we would see more cooler, stormier conditions. The rest of this month looks very mild but probably wetter so that's never a bad thing.

I don't care if October torches because it's how the parameters are setting up that matters and if we're able to get those -AO/NAO periods along with a good Siberian snow advance, and how NPAC SSTs are doing are what matters.

November is another story though, most below average Novembers set the tone for the following winter so I wouldn't want a November torch at all.

Very mild? Looks pretty average to me

Archived