• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Fall Foliage Thread

WxUSAF

I get the sense this isn't the best color year. Our weather patterns have been kind of opposite what we want. Dry going in then wet and fairly mild for the change. Still get good stuff in an off year tho.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went through some pics from last year and found quite a few of red maples in peak color around the 10th of November last year.Those same trees are already dropping leaves this year and the color that is showing isn't nearly as brilliant as it was last year. Still though, there are some pockets of nice color starting to show in the metro areas.

Fall foliage is great if I am taking a trip to the Blue Ridge or something. Around here...meh. I got some nice shots last year, but for the most part its a bore. Living in the woods with 3 varieties of oak trees, hickory, maple, and some tupelos, its just perpetual leaf blowing, mowing and mulching for 6 weeks.

Visited Patapsco Valley State Park. Some pretty parts in the higher parts. It was much prettier last year about this time. Lots of barren trees, & full green trees. 

p187544943-3.jpg

I've noticed this as well. Lots of leaves down and still quite a bit of green. Not going to be as pretty as last fall.

Color seems considerably improved in the past few days around here.

Still seems fairly drab to me relative to the last couple years (which I think were quite good).  Maybe this is more of a normal year color-wise.  Leaf drop seems to be kinda quick also this year relative to normal. 

I think the drab color this year is due to the tulip poplars. They are one of the most popular (get it) trees in our area. This year the leaves seem to turn yellow and then drop right away. Some years they seem to yellow all at the same time. The wind and rain we've had as of late, seems to take what color we do have. The mighty oaks (black, red, white oaks) always change after the softer woods. I do like the earthy colors of what I call "the second peak". The color on the eastern shore seems better. They are a little behind central md. That may have given the tulip poplars a chance to give up more color. They seem to have less damage from the recent wind and rain (due to being green during that time). Who knows.. maybe the color will pop in a week.

I think the drab color this year is due to the tulip poplars. They are one of the most popular (get it) trees in our area. This year the leaves seem to turn yellow and then drop right away. Some years they seem to yellow all at the same time. The wind and rain we've had as of late, seems to take what color we do have. The mighty oaks (black, red, white oaks) always change after the softer woods. I do like the earthy colors of what I call "the second peak". The color on the eastern shore seems better. They are a little behind central md. That may have given the tulip poplars a chance to give up more color. They seem to have less damage from the recent wind and rain (due to being green during that time). Who knows.. maybe the color will pop in a week.

You're right about those poplars. They are everywhere and the color is lacking. Oaks imby are really just starting to show color. Maples are in different stages depending on type.

Good points, but even some of the maples around here that have been spectacular the last 2 years are more muted this year, particularly some of the reds.

I agree. The maples just aren't popping this year. They seem to turn from the outer branches, then the color works it's way in. On a good year (calm, no wind) the color stays on as the entire tree turns. This year it seems to get blown off, leaving the less mature color on the tree. On top of that. For some reason the mature color seem dull. Maybe the lack of sunny mild days and cool nights is the problem. We have had lots of cloudy, not so cool days this month. I'm holding out hope we get a good hardwood show in about 10 days. The hickorys are popping nicely on the eastern shore. Just need those oaks to pop, then we may salvage the season. Then I'm ready for months of white :)

You're right about those poplars. They are everywhere and the color is lacking. Oaks imby are really just starting to show color. Maples are in different stages depending on type.

Interesting bit of trivia, for those who don't know - despite the common name, Liriodendron is neither a Tulip nor a Poplar.  In fact, it is not related to either.  It's most closely related to Magnolias.  Many people think they are poplars but they're not.

I have a bunch of them on the property here, and they're actually quiet colorful right now.  The redbuds are gorgeous right now, too.

It seems like it's every year that people say "it's not a great year."  I just think that fall colors are generally pretty muted around here because we have so many varieties of trees that turn at different times.  There's never really a time when everything pops at once, so it never really overwhelms.

It seems like it's every year that people say "it's not a great year."  I just think that fall colors are generally pretty muted around here because we have so many varieties of trees that turn at different times.  There's never really a time when everything pops at once, so it never really overwhelms.

I think the last 2 years were really good for color and many of us stated so on here. 

Archived