• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Fall Foliage Thread

WxUSAF

It seems like it's every year that people say "it's not a great year."  I just think that fall colors are generally pretty muted around here because we have so many varieties of trees that turn at different times.  There's never really a time when everything pops at once, so it never really overwhelms.

Very true that we do not peak all at once in the local 'hoods. The mountains to the west.....especially the higher terrain in WV is blessed with getting a fairly uniform peak, which makes for incredible color out there. 

Locally, we get hot spots of color. A street lined with maples that all turn red at once, the cherries at the tidal basin turning orange, etc. I have woods directly behind my house and see a huge mix of still green, dead, yellow, red and orange. Each tree is at its own stage. 

There are some good trees out there though. Here's one from this weekend showing all of its color...orange to yellow to green from top down.

15017671473_82d843a880_c.jpg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very true that we do not peak all at once in the local 'hoods. The mountains to the west.....especially the higher terrain in WV is blessed with getting a fairly uniform peak, which makes for incredible color out there. 

Locally, we get hot spots of color. A street lined with maples that all turn red at once, the cherries at the tidal basin turning orange, etc. I have woods directly behind my house and see a huge mix of still green, dead, yellow, red and orange. Each tree is at its own stage. 

There are some good trees out there though. Here's one from this weekend showing all of its color...orange to yellow to green from top down.

I absolutely agree that there are some really nice looking trees around, but they get kind of washed out with the general muddle of colors we get here.  You have pick and choose them - there's generally not an overflowing abundance of color anywhere at any one time.

Color is decent to good here now. It is more step by step than places in New England plus our 'natural' trees are not super brilliant in general. But it's still a quality area for fall IMO.

Problem here is the weekend may screw up true peak by knocking a lot of leaves off just before it happens.

Thanks all!

I do usually try to get out of the city at least once for fall but with no car it is a bit tricky to get anywhere worthwhile. The 'photo a day' thing for April was a good exercise and has a good result so figured might as well do it for fall. Don't expect a winter one. ;)

Went to the Tidal Basin this morning. Knew it's probably a little early but with the weekend forecast I'd be nervous about some good leaf loss this weekend. Will do a post with Kevin Ambrose on it for Monday. Some nice spots, and I may try to go back by mid next week to see what it looks like after the wind but it's pretty striking looking at this years pics vs last yrs.. the trees just look kinda sick this year comparatively.  Either that or last yr they were just uber healthy--know it was a good color year overall around here so that could be it. 

15653012576_42d24e7b90_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianlivingston/15653012576/

And I would say overall many leaves are 'damaged' in some way in my travels. Either burnt crispy ends or some sort of fungus. Guess that's the dry late summer then wet/mild recent period showing up.

And I would say overall many leaves are 'damaged' in some way in my travels. Either burnt crispy ends or some sort of fungus. Guess that's the dry late summer then wet/mild recent period showing up.

Same thing in my hood. "damaged" is a perfect adjective. My favorite maples and ashes on my street were terrible compared to recent years. Sections of the trees look good but overall had a tired look.

Oaks were the best around here but yellow is kinda boring compared to orange/red. The 2 maples in my front yard started dropping early with way too much brown. Overall a lackluster year.

Nice pics btw! I don't get down to dc proper much since my gov contracting days ended. I used to enjoy my gw pkwy - 14th st bridge commutes in the fall. DC is an attractive city.

I've actually never been up there for some reason. I have been to Peirce Mill a handful of times but always have stopped there. I knew of the bridge but didn't realize it was that close... about a 2 mile walk from home.

Two thing I learned this fall season......sweetgums are sweetgums and not some variation of maple. I'm not sure why I always thought they were maple trees. Ginkgo trees produce the best yellows around here. Despite their supposed nasty smell, I wish there were more of them. Their unusual leaf also makes for something different in a pic. 

Also, aside for some hot spots, things are getting very dull out there. Lost a ton of leaves in the woods behind the house this weekend. Can now see a good 50-60 yards back into the woods with no problem. Still some maples and oaks yet to reach peak. 

Yeah this weekend owned a lot of color. I noticed it was trickier today on the streets. Most of the maples are largely bare except the few that are still greenish for whatever reason.

Ginkgo are cool. They peak late in the city. Maybe still 10 days or so off on them. They make a nice scene when the leaves drop too. Never really noticed the smell.

Two thing I learned this fall season......sweetgums are sweetgums and not some variation of maple. I'm not sure why I always thought they were maple trees. Ginkgo trees produce the best yellows around here. Despite their supposed nasty smell, I wish there were more of them. Their unusual leaf also makes for something different in a pic.

Ginkgo are cool. They peak late in the city. Maybe still 10 days or so off on them. They make a nice scene when the leaves drop too. Never really noticed the smell.

I've been interested in Ginkos since I did a semester at the Institute of Applied Agriculture at UMD some twenty years ago. There are some great specimens in one of the neighborhoods that I run through, and when they peak, I'll try to remember to get some photos. You guys are right about the fall color. It's pretty spectacular. And the other thing that's cool about them, is that they drop all of their leaves in a very short time, which like Ian said, makes for some good photo ops.

Anyway, here's the little that I know about them. Ginkos have been known to be excellent city trees because of their adaptability and deep root system that prevents sidewalk damage. As a result, in many cities across the country there have been literally thousands of them planted. Unfortunately, in some instances, the planners didn't consider the sex of the trees, and now female trees are causing a stinky problem (google "Ginko city tree").

Even in the instances when the sex of the tree was considered, some of the male trees are (surprise!) now producing fruit. I seem to remember it being something like 15 - 20% of these "males" began bearing fruit after about ten years or so. The reason is because most of the male plants were actually a graft of a male plant onto a female root system. Given time, the tree matures, and the male top can take on female traits. As a result, the now-preferred way to ensure a tree is male, and will not eventually produce fruit, is to propagate by cuttings. Next spring, I may see if I can take a few cuttings from the trees in the nearby hood. There is a grove of really old trees, and none of them produce fruit, so I'd feel pretty safe planting a couple in my yard.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded post.

That's interesting stuff. The one cool thing I know about ginkgos is that they're a "living fossil" - they're essentially unchanged for more than 200 million years, a single species with no known living relatives.

That's funny. I was just going to post that. They are beautiful trees. Not a native tree to Maryland though.

Archived