joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Fall Foliage Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still not much color here but I guess that's typical. Should get going in the next week?

I think so. Mid month is typically when spotty areas show some good color. I'm kinda expecting this fall to not be so great locally. One of my maples that shows early is going mostly from green to brown. All the trees on my street are showing signs of less color than usual.

yeah, we need another week or two, locally. Maples are starting to show nice color. Arlington national will prob look very nice towards the end of the month.

I usually go there around Veterans Day. Often a bit past peak but not bad. We typically have a pretty long foliage season in the city.. almost 2 mo from start to finish. But I'd guess about Oct 10-Nov 10 is about best.  I'm contemplating doing a "photo every day" thing like I did in the spring. Just so time consuming... 

I think so. Mid month is typically when spotty areas show some good color. I'm kinda expecting this fall to not be so great locally. One of my maples that shows early is going mostly from green to brown. All the trees on my street are showing signs of less color than usual.

Could be. I never seem to be very good at predicting what the color will end up as. There's always at least spots of quality stuff. 

I'm kinda expecting this fall to not be so great locally. One of my maples that shows early is going mostly from green to brown. All the trees on my street are showing signs of less color than usual.

Agree.  Last couple years have had really nice color.  A couple of the early maples on my street that normally have really nice color are showing fairly drab reds.  

Quick shot from Blackwater Canyon today. 

15500726275_0d4dcb8d8e_z.jpg

Elevation made all the world of difference with color today out there. In the Canyon, color is great and at peak. Back in town, leaves are down all over and lots of trees are already mostly bare. I would say the canyon has another 2-3 days of decent color left before the next big wind starts knocking it all down. Haven't heard much on Skyline Drive, but I suspect the highest of elevations are at or near peak. 

15317835058_c5ce250315_z.jpg

Elevation made all the world of difference with color today out there. In the Canyon, color is great and at peak. Back in town, leaves are down all over and lots of trees are already mostly bare. I would say the canyon has another 2-3 days of decent color left before the next big wind starts knocking it all down. Haven't heard much on Skyline Drive, but I suspect the highest of elevations are at or near peak. 

Those are great shots.  I've never been there, but I'm going next year for sure.

Headed up on Skyline Drive today.  Hopefully, the rain will keep the crowds down some.

Awesome shots! Well done!

Those are great shots.  I've never been there, but I'm going next year for sure.

Headed up on Skyline Drive today.  Hopefully, the rain will keep the crowds down some.

I am interested in hearing about the conditions along Skyline Drive.

Awesome shots! Well done!

I am interested in hearing about the conditions along Skyline Drive.

Hard to tell really, the fog was so thick up there today I could see very little.  Didn't even bother trying to take pics.  Leaves didn't look to be at peak yet, but above 2000 ft the wind was really whipping, so don't know how the leaves are gonna hold up for another weekend..  Literally not even a breeze at 1390' and below.  Kind of strange.  I can't say I've ever experienced those conditions before, you don't get foggy and windy at our elevations. 

Nice shots snowfan. Cloudy days are often best for foliage .. The foggy spots really add too.

If I do a 30 day fall shoot going to start tomorrow as it would be done Veterans Day. Wx doesn't look so good to start at least.

Ian or any of the other DC folks.....how are things progressing in town? I saw a pic from Arlington National the other day that indicated some of the larger maples were starting to look nice. How about the northern sections of Rock Creek park?

I suspect the wind we're about to get into will knock a lot of leaves down and put an end to the foliage season in most of the higher spots along Skyline Drive. Maybe not, but I think those areas were already peak or pretty close. It seems like the Oaks are really slow this year. Not noticing much change in them at all right now. 

Slowly getting there. I've been wandering every day for 10 days now and the first week was kind of rough finding color. Not to mention the weather has mostly sucked. Maples probably nearing peak soon on the whole tho some of the biggest ones are still pretty green. Walked over Rock Creek Park this eve in Woodley Park. Coming along but prob still a good week or 10 days off entering peak. Can try to post a few pics later. What I've seen of Shenandoah is hit or miss. Sounds like a mix of no leaves, muddled color and green. Seen some decent stuff from around there though.

So yeah this is Rock Creek Park/Woodley Park from the bridges this evening.  Nothing fancy.. taking these pics every 10 days to show the change at the end more than anything. Depending on what you see as peak it is probably about a week or so off still.  My plan is to mostly hit it the weekend after this coming weekend as of now, though I may dip into it before then.

post-1615-0-00924000-1414030747_thumb.jp

post-1615-0-97896300-1414030740_thumb.jp

Archived