Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh...it was near normal at most sites. And do you have stats to back up your below normal dew claim? I'm not claiming it wasn't, but it felt near normal to me...mostly dews in the 50s.

I used the custom climo data on WU to find the avg dews at various sites for the period 6/1/2014-8/31/2014.

BDR 61F

BDL 59F

PVD 59F

BOS 58F

PWM 58F

ORH 57F

CON 57F

BTV 57F

CAR 56F

Finding normal/average dewpoint data is difficult so I'll leave that up to someone else.

I used the custom climo data on WU to find the avg dews at various sites for the period 6/1/2014-8/31/2014.

BDR 61F

BDL 59F

PVD 59F

BOS 58F

PWM 58F

ORH 57F

CON 57F

BTV 57F

CAR 56F

Finding normal/average dewpoint data is difficult so I'll leave that up to someone else.

Based on the 1981-2010 normals, if you average the hourly normal dew points for the entire summer you get:

BDL 59.5

BDR 61.4

BOS 59.4

BTV 57.0

CAR 54.0

CON 57.3

ORH 57.3

PVD 60.2

PWM 57.4

Concord in 2014,CDDs ranked 21st least in 76 years reflecting coolness of summer with 328 CDDs

Steve...I'm not denying slightly below due to the BN August. I'm just calling -0.5F to +0.5F near normal. We haven't done a -1.0F or colder JJA since 2009. That's all I'm saying. I agree about the no big heat too.

Well those are how we can compare one summer to the next...I know you love your colder than normal Ginxy ;). Glad you got one that felt colder than it was too.

there are more statistics than temp, energy use for cooling was below normal, I know that for sure. My stats at work show bottom 1/3 rd of consumption, CDDs stats concur, also we dehumidify with cooling so lower dews also reduced consumption, not to mention every body in SNE mentioned the lack of extended heat. No 90s in ORH, none in ECT for example. So bottom line is being near normal tempwise did not reflect the true value. Certainly not abnormally cool but definitely not the norm.

there are more statistics than temp, energy use for cooling was below normal, I know that for sure. My stats at work show bottom 1/3 rd of consumption, CDDs stats concur, also we dehumidify with cooling so lower dews also reduced consumption, not to mention every body in SNE mentioned the lack of extended heat. No 90s in ORH, none in ECT for example. So bottom line is being near normal tempwise did not reflect the true value. Certainly not abnormally cool but definitely not the norm.

Did you just use energy usage to rebut actual temperature in order to argue how cool it was?

Meh...it was near normal at most sites. And do you have stats to back up your below normal dew claim? I'm not claiming it wasn't, but it felt near normal to me...mostly dews in the 50s.

I still think the record high dews last year skewed the overall feel of this summer...it felt great but probably more of what it should be like, given our stretch of hotter than normal summers lately.

So bottom line is being near normal tempwise did not reflect the true value. Certainly not abnormally cool but definitely not the norm.

I don't get that to be honest...it was not abnormally cool, but yet it definitely wasn't normal?

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm like Dendrite, not trying to say it was warm, just that I think it's in the realm of what our normal summers should be.

I don't get that to be honest...it was not abnormally cool, but yet it definitely wasn't normal?

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm like Dendrite, not trying to say it was warm, just that I think it's in the realm of what our normal summers should be.

I guess if your memory is only good one summer at a time. Lol

It was nice to get a normal summer for once.

90/70 all summer isn't our climo....remember last summer was a record warmth in July. You can't expect those recent hot summers of +4F to be the new average.

This summer was within the normal range.

Not arguing the fact that it was a near normal or average summer.  

Archived