northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
August 2014

Rtd208

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More shocking is that he's not downplaying the rain event.

well I mean its not like this is going to be an all out deluge. same places will surely jackpot IMO west of NYC, NJ/W.PA up to LHV and SWCT northward...im going to be down in AC till Friday afternoon so I can care less what happens

Guest Pamela

i wouldn't eat anything from the water around here

Its funny you bring it up...a few days ago someone I know said their friends were going fishing in the area and said they were going to give her some of what they caught and she asked me if I wanted any of the fish...I said no...wouldn't eat anything caught around here because I assume the waters are fairly polluted from whatever heavy industry dumps in.  In fairness, I will admit I'm far from an authority on the cleanliness of these waters...but, as Howell Heflin once said, "When in doubt, don't."

Guest Pamela

well I mean its not like this is going to be an all out deluge. same places will surely jackpot IMO west of NYC, NJ/W.PA up to LHV and SWCT northward...im going to be down in AC till Friday afternoon so I can care less what happens

If it always "jackpots" everywhere but Long Island...how does Long Island have either equal or greater annual precipitation averages than most spots in the region?

(Average annual precip. is around 49 inches out at NWS Upton...far from the wettest spot on the Island.)

http://www.bnl.gov/weather/4cast/MonthlyPrecip.htm

What kind of warmth are we talking for last third of month exactly? Will it be upper 80s to 90 type heat or a string of 90s or will it be mostly high mins?

Yes.

The ECMWF weeklies tonight continue w/ the idea of warmer than normal temps from about August 18th right through the end of the run on September 10th-12th. Mid level ridge builds over SE Canada / E USA as the mean trough axis retrogrades into the northern Plains/Rockies.

I still think NYC sees its first official heat wave sometime in the Aug 19th-Labor Day period, with plenty of warm minima and high dew point air as well.

If it always "jackpots" everywhere but Long Island...how does Long Island have either equal or greater annual precipitation averages than most spots in the region?

(Average annual precip. is around 49 inches out at NWS Upton...far from the wettest spot on the Island.)

http://www.bnl.gov/weather/4cast/MonthlyPrecip.htm

Because it's the summer ... even your wet, beloved LI does consistently worse with precip than most other areas.

The MOS has some 50's out in the Pine Barrens early Friday. The Euro does a little better on

the LI rainfall for the parched lawns than the NAM. But we'll see...

WESTHAMPTON BEACH    KFOK   GFS MOS GUIDANCE    8/12/2014  1200 UTC                       DT /AUG  12/AUG  13                /AUG  14                /AUG  15  HR   18 21 00 03 06 09 12 15 18 21 00 03 06 09 12 15 18 21 00 06 12  N/X                    71          79          59          80    54 

I meant  QPF .  My bad 

looks like a jump in the  QPF max .

The seasonal trend hasn't been your friend so far if you have a big lawn out in Suffolk.

attachicon.gif20140805_northeast_none.png

attachicon.gif60dPDataNRCC.png

It's the fairly typical summer drought that develops along the coastal areas because they miss out on the inland T-storm activity. Hopefully tomorrow makes a dent in it but models are focusing more and more on NJ today, as usual.

Archived