• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
August 2014

Rtd208

Lots of smoke in the sky today, I'm guessing from the Canadian fires.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/08/04/massive-smoke-clouds-from-canadian-wildfires-are-up-to-15-km-high-and-visible-all-the-way-to-portugal/

Basically, the smoke has entered the stratosphere through fire-caused thunderstorm clouds which punch their way above the tropopause and deposit smoke particles. From there they can make their way worldwide (smoke has been detected in Portugal!!). Due to the tropopause's lower height in the high temperate regions, fires in Canada can more easily deposit smoke into the stratosphere than over the tropics.

And I definitely noticed the smoky sunrise this morning-this will likely continue for some time.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This call is premature at this stage. Plus it hasn't even been cold. We're right around normal. If it was truly a cold summer they'd probably think the Day After Tomorrow was happening.

The interesting thing is that we are getting the low 90 degree counts like 2009 but without the big negative departures.

NYC has 4 90 degree days so far needs another 3 to tie 2009. I think NYC has a shot of finishing the

summer without 3 90's in a row especially when the average high falls to 82 by August 20th.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/climate/records/90degdays.htm

The interesting thing is that we are getting the low 90 degree counts like 2009 but without the big negative departures.

NYC has 4 90 degree days so far needs another 3 to tie 2009. I think NYC has a shot of finishing the

summer without 3 90's in a row especially when the average high falls to 82 by August 20th.

add to that that many reporting stations - Newark being an example have not reached 90 yet this month and now we should start watching for no 90 degree readings in August 2014 - the GFS through the 25th does not reach 90 - even 2009 had a few 90 degree days in August at Newark - anyone know when the last time Newark did not reach 90 in August ?

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KEWR/2014/8/2/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

add to that that many reporting stations - Newark being an example have not reached 90 yet this month and now we should start watching for no 90 degree readings in August 2014 - the GFS through the 25th does not reach 90 - even 2009 had a few 90 degree days in August at Newark - anyone know when the last time Newark did not reach 90 in August ?

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KEWR/2014/8/2/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

I haven't found any in Newark.  GFS and ECM continue to look warm/hot 8/18 - the end of the month.  Wouldn't surprise me to see a sneaky 90 today or Monday near Newark, if not then we'll see if the idea of more pronounced ridging into the east develops as modeled for the last 2 weeks of the month.

Exactly right bluewave 2009, 2004, 2000, 1996 featured more 90s but departures were more than 2 degrees cooler in July and June

Exactly right bluewave 2009, 2004, 2000, 1996 featured more 90s but departures were more than 2 degrees cooler in July and June

Yeah, I think that it is the trough pattern near the Great Lakes so far this summer keeping a lid on the 90

degree day totals. But the ridging over the Canadian Maritimes was close enough to prevent the stronger

negative departures  like we saw in those years.

I haven't found any in Newark.  GFS and ECM continue to look warm/hot 8/18 - the end of the month.  Wouldn't surprise me to see a sneaky 90 today or Monday near Newark, if not then we'll see if the idea of more pronounced ridging into the east develops as modeled for the last 2 weeks of the month.

today and tomorrow  is forecasted to be upper 80's at Newark - would be very surprised to see a 90 with a north wind today and a northeast breeze tomorrow - will also need 100% sunshine - if it does reach 90 would be for a very brief period. 

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.fpus51.KOKX.html

we hit mid 90's last sept 11th with dewpoints in the 70's

1983 featured several mid/upper 90s in September as did 1991.  2010 the blowtorch summer had many 90s as well.  1953 was the record famous heatwave with 100+ temps into Septmeber..

I think NYC has a very good chance for its first official heat wave sometime during the August 19th-30th period. Pattern continues to evolve toward the hotter late August idea.

The 12z GEFS has a heat wave signal during this period. Possibly the seeing ridge north of Hawaii being enhanced by Hurricane Julio:

post-187-0-46163300-1407609881_thumb.gif

Latest GFS has no precip. for 9 days starting on the 14th.    Official outlooks 6-10  and 8-14 have above normal precip. here for the period, but 8-14 picking up on the above normal temps. potential---which would go with a preceeding/concurrent dry period.

Latest GFS has no precip. for 9 days starting on the 14th. Official outlooks 6-10 and 8-14 have above normal precip. here for the period, but 8-14 picking up on the above normal temps. potential---which would go with a preceeding/concurrent dry period.

Actually its even longer than that. Dry all the way through the 25th. Its also drier for the Tuesday/Wednesday rain than the euro is

I looked up when the site with the help of google maps...It looks like the temp obs are on a patch of grass not far from an asphalt parking lot...

Well what about that hot July in the Governour's Island records of 81.3 degs. in 1825 which is just shy of July 1999 by .1 deg.  If today's heat island effect is worth just .2degs. then would not July 1825 be the hottest month here in NYC.    You can argue forever over these seeming inconsistiences with prevailing wind directions or surrounding vegetation being blamed.

Archived