• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2014

Rtd208

Looks like we have probably seen the last heat wave of the summer - we have only seen 1 this summer earlier in July and only ten 90 degree days so far at newark - no heat waves or 90 degree days on the GFS the next 16 days with below normal precip .

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=kewr

As long is it great weather august 12-15 as ill be down in AC for my birthday i am fine with that! In another month most if not all of us will be going full steam ahead into the winter forecasts.....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blocking regime looks to continue for at least another 7-10 days.

test8.gif

have to be somewhat concerned with a possible strong block developing in the north atlantic and the chatter going on in the MET community of the period after August 18th of possible tropical storms developing in the carribbean and coming up the east coast - the neg NAO would tend to force these storms back into the coast - this is what happened with Sandy and at the height of the hurricane season later this month into the first half of September -  this could be a BIG problem along the east coast

have to be somewhat concerned with a possible strong block developing in the north atlantic and the chatter going on in the MET community of the period after August 18th of possible tropical storms developing in the carribbean and coming up the east coast - the neg NAO would tend to force these storms back into the coast - this is what happened with Sandy and at the height of the hurricane season later this month into the first half of September -  this could be a BIG problem along the east coast

:lol:

The probability of another Sandy happening this year is maybe 1 in a thousand.

In August 2011 (prior to Sandy) the WAR ridge was further west. While I do think we could be dealing with a few threats down the road, the mean trough axis appears to be more favorable for a southeast hit that then gets punted offshore before making it this far north. See Arther 2014.

I do think this year is favorable for a few close calls but not a track like Sandy. Maybe an Irene.

The Irene track is the one more typical of anything that runs the east coast (vs Sandy)  Some have said that since we're in the end game of the warm AMO, we're more likely for a hit, similar to the pattern of the mid and late 1950's.   Time will tell.  Seems that the tropic have been awfully quiet in the Altantic the last few years...would not surprise me in the least to see yet another quiet season.

whatever better hope another big one doesn't happen this year because PSE&G hasn't started upgrading its  power grid yet 

http://www.northjersey.com/news/nj-state-news/pse-g-to-start-work-soon-on-1-2-billion-energy-strong-improvements-1.1020499

I work for Okonite. PSE&G is our largest customer. Believe me, they have been in the process of upgrading for years now.

Hurricane Sandy was not your typical TC and occured way late, the comparisons are somewhat mute here. NE, particularily Long Island has observed some nasty hits, but it has been largely dead since Hurricane Bob in 91.

I agree the storm itself was a 1 in 700 year event however, there is a possibility of that becoming 1 in 100 or 1 in 50 later on. Sandy would of never happened without the anomalous blocking setup caused by 2012's historic -NAO regime and it's not possible to claim for certain or disprove or approve any links between that and AGW.

Evidence points to there being some significant influence. The Hadley Cells are also expected to keep expanding, this will shift TC tracks substantially.

Another fabulous stretch of weather blue skies and temps in the low - mid 80s the next 6 days.

Looks like Iso has a good handle on the rest of the month and guidance has been slowly trending to the warm look past the mid month mark.  Before then its Bob Seger - Still the same (normal look)  But it will be nice.

JB @ 7 am put this out

ECMWF DAY 11 ON: LOOK OUT EAST COAST CAROLINAS NORTH!

As far as tropical systems go paul. I will always put my eggs into the ECMWF basket, it was deadly accurate 7 days out with sandy and never wavered. JB did well with sandy because he followed the ECMWF and didnt really give any other model a nod, he scored the coup on that one IMO.

Hurricane Sandy was not your typical TC and occured way late, the comparisons are somewhat mute here. NE, particularily Long Island has observed some nasty hits, but it has been largely dead since Hurricane Bob in 91.

I agree the storm itself was a 1 in 700 year event however, there is a possibility of that becoming 1 in 100 or 1 in 50 later on. Sandy would of never happened without the anomalous blocking setup caused by 2012's historic -NAO regime and it's not possible to claim for certain or disprove or approve any links between that and AGW.

Evidence points to there being some significant influence. The Hadley Cells are also expected to keep expanding, this will shift TC tracks substantially.

The anomalous blocking did help Sandy move NW, but remember it was also captured and pulled in by a storm coming out of the Midwest, which later phased into it. That's what made it a "Perfect Storm" and increased its intensity to that of a strong category 3 in terms of pressure. Without that interaction, Sandy would likely have been a minor tropical storm by the time it arrived here, and cold water/shear/dry air would have killed it. The trough interaction helped Sandy overcome all that by giving it baroclinic characteristics while keeping a tropical core.

As far as tropical systems go paul. I will always put my eggs into the ECMWF basket, it was deadly accurate 7 days out with sandy and never wavered. JB did well with sandy because he followed the ECMWF and didnt really give any other model a nod, he scored the coup on that one IMO.

The canadian was also good-it actually had it a day before the Euro and outside of a fluke run or two, never wavered.

The anomalous blocking did help Sandy move NW, but remember it was also captured and pulled in by a storm coming out of the Midwest, which later phased into it. That's what made it a "Perfect Storm" and increased its intensity to that of a strong category 3 in terms of pressure. Without that interaction, Sandy would likely have been a minor tropical storm by the time it arrived here, and cold water/shear/dry air would have killed it. The trough interaction helped Sandy overcome all that by giving it baroclinic characteristics while keeping a tropical core.

Yes, however I think the anomaly was caused by longwave distance being increased from ridge to trough. The so-called "enhanced waviness". Overall, the westerlies have seemingly weakened in Spring and Fall when temperature gradients are lower.

It was even more impressive that that ECMWF ensemble storm strike probably product flagged our area for landfall

at D-8.5 before the OP.

Yes, however I think the anomaly was caused by longwave distance being increased from ridge to trough. The so-called "enhanced waviness". Overall, the westerlies have seemingly weakened in Spring and Fall when temperature gradients are lower.

Right. You could argue that the strongly anomalous block "caused" the trough to be as menacing as it was to begin with in that location.

Archived