• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

Does anyone know to what degree the lakes are running below normal.?

Lots of mid 40 water temps in N Lake MI. Near shore waters the past 2 Septembers here have been 68-70 ish. Currently 52

We were in West Grand Traverse Bay Sat and the water temp I saw in there was between 54-57 degrees. 57 was up close to shore. I did read the other day that lake Superior was still in the upper 30's for water temp in spots!  A good write up here about it. www.uppermichiganssource.com/weather/blog_post.aspx?id=1067553

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were in West Grand Traverse Bay Sat and the water temp I saw in there was between 54-57 degrees. 57 was up close to shore. I did read the other day that lake Superior was still in the upper 30's for water temp in spots! A good write up here about it. www.uppermichiganssource.com/weather/blog_post.aspx?id=1067553

Thanks for the article....

I was using APX point and click to get water temps.... Not sure the accuracy, but it has a large section of N L MI in the mid 40's still.

The temps you experienced doesn't seem to be too far off the seasonal norm. The lake wasn't swimmable really this time last year either.

Lake Erie is so shallow that its temperatures are mostly dependent on the weather of the preceding few weeks. Lake Erie was actually running the warmest it's been for the past five years last week for the first of July. The past few cool days have brought it down quite a bit.

Went back and looked up sub 70 degree July days at LAF...here's what I have going back to 1971.  Missing data starts to become a problem before then.  Clouds/precip were a factor on all of these days, so if that is any indication of what happened prior to 1971, it's awfully difficult to get a sunny July day with highs below 70 here.

Perhaps the most impressive day out of these was July 13, 1990 when temps hovered just below 60 for the entire afternoon.

July 2, 2013:  69
July 4, 2009:  69
July 1, 2009:  68
July 21, 1996:  68
July 7, 1992:  69
July 13, 1990:  66
July 28, 1971:  68

Lake Erie is so shallow that its temperatures are mostly dependent on the weather of the preceding few weeks. Lake Erie was actually running the warmest it's been for the past five years last week for the first of July. The past few cool days have brought it down quite a bit.

I know that is why I love it. It is shallow enough to be warm enough quickly to swim from Mid May to Mid/late September. But also deep enough to produce Lake effect snow until early/mid February. The best of both worlds.

Another page written up on the cold lake temperatures. Through MKX

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=mkx&storyid=103325&source=0

I saw somewhere yesterday that the beach temperature at Waukegan Harbor dipped to 46°! Now that's nuts for July.  :shiver:

m2.gif

---

Sitting around 69-70° near the lake here in Racine. Been perfectly clear since 9am or so. Had a few scud clouds blow in for a brief time earlier. 

Its essentially a river..... The shallowness of the "river" allows whatever weather pattern that is in place to determine water temps almost immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if the temp on that lake could drop or go up 15F in a single day.

0z NAM gives this area 2-3" rain Saturday morning into early afternoon with impressive recovery behind it and makes NW IL really interesting severe wx wise by Saturday evening.

The NAM runs throughout today slowly moved that area of interest northward.  It will be interesting to see what kind of recovery actually occurs during the day Saturday. 

Its essentially a river..... The shallowness of the "river" allows whatever weather pattern that is in place to determine water temps almost immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if the temp on that lake could drop or go up 15F in a single day.

It's drastic but not that drastic...1-2 degrees on any given day depending on the season. I've seen it go down 3-4 degrees in a day after a significant lake effect snow event before in December.

The only July I can ever recall where I didn't even hesitate to put down grass seed. Usually the heat and lack of rain would prevent it from growing. Not this year. 70s during the day and 50s at night? Just crazy.

The only semi-recent July that will likely rival this one may well be 2000.  Average high around these parts was barely over 75F, more than 5F below average.

Can't get much better than this for weather the last few days. Crystal clear skies both yesterday morning and this morning. - Well except for a few minor cirrus clouds this morning it was 100% sunshine. Hopefully those foggy mornings and evenings are done with now. 

High 70s in Racine currently.

12z NAM painting another 1"+ across the heart of chicagoland this weekend...amounts seem reasonable but I'd shift the favored heavy rain corridor a little south

NAM is already on the south edge of guidance, I think N Illinois will be in the heart of the two (or perhaps three) day MCS train.

Archived