• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
July 2014 General Discussion

snowlover2

Pretty nice day today overall. 7pm - clouded over completely now at home. 77° for a high.

UWM satellite shot.

wisgif32.jpg

Topic worth mentioning again... temperature departures.

WI shoreline temperatures are running the most ahead - cooler. Since mid-June there are some departures -3°, even negative -4° really close to the shoreline. I guess that Milwaukee Urban heat island effect is benefiting the metro area a bit more! ;) , because the city is running ahead of the rest of the Wisconsin lake shore (except Kenosha). Journey on over to Ohio and it's the opposite story ~ +1° to +2°.

General Idea for the rest of the summer would be to expect those negative departures to continue ... unless we get a 2012 style heat wave to really work over Lake Michigan waters!

30dTDeptMRCC.png

Easy to extract that lake influence in the last 4 weeks, but not so much in first ten days of the month. (Will see where we are 1/2 way through the month.) Cooler than normal sub-forum wide, especially the further West you go...

MonthTDeptMRCC.png

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty nice day today overall. Clouded over completely now at home. 77° for a high.

UWM satellite shot.

wisgif32.jpg

Topic worth mentioning again... temperature departures.

WI shoreline temperatures are running the most ahead - cooler. Since mid-June there are some departures -3°, even negative -4° really close to the shoreline. I guess that Milwaukee Urban heat island effect is benefiting the metro area a bit more! ;) , because the city is running ahead of the rest of the Wisconsin lake shore (except Kenosha). Journey on over to Ohio and it's the opposite story ~ +1° to +2°.

General Idea for the rest of the summer would be to expect those negative departures to continue ... unless we get a 2012 style heat wave to really work over Lake Michigan waters!

30dTDeptMRCC.png

Easy to extract that lake influence in the last 4 weeks, but not so much in first 10 days of the month. Cooler than normal sub-forum wide, especially the further West you go...

It is hard for me to believe that cities like Pittsburgh are running above average in the last 30 days, I remember looking at their climate section and saw that they have yet to record 90F like several cities in the region.

It is hard for me to believe that cities like Pittsburgh are running above average in the last 30 days, I remember looking at their climate section and saw that they have yet to record 90F like several cities in the region.

I'm suprised anyone in the northeastern quarter of the country is above normal at all! Seems like it has been below normal straight since Halloween or so.

So far only 87° for a high here this summer. I think it was the summer of 2009 that it failed to reach 90° here.

You really need to think more before you post.

PIT's averages for June 11 are 78/57 and right now are 83/63 so it's quite possible for a place like that to be above average without recording a 90 degree day.

Watching the water run off my front lawn onto the sidewalks and driveway...very little room for soaking up water heading into this evening should make things quite interesting...

EDIT:  yeah, decent street flooding in my subdivision from only heavy rain....typically we need the monsoonal waterfalls to get the street flooding this fast here

Have to loop the current radar, but amazing how rain/storms continue to split (or diminish before) LAF. Just really crappy luck I guess... :(

attachicon.giflaf sad.png

Is that the wind farm showing up on your radar? Cheer up, looks like you may get in on a little action soon. Not severe, but at least some rain.

Is that the wind farm showing up on your radar? Cheer up, looks like you may get in on a little action soon. Not severe, but at least some rain.

Benton County one? Yeah, I see it on IND and LOT's radar sometimes. Just a drizzle fest here right now. Zzzzzz. 

Benton County one? Yeah, I see it on IND and LOT's radar sometimes. Just a drizzle fest here right now. Zzzzzz. 

I was making reference to the frowny face you drew. lol Rain completely fizzled just as it got here.

We've had several MCS's die out this way this year. I'm about to steal a Michigan poster's sig, "land of the dying MCS's". Could possibly happen again tonight.

I was making reference to the frowny face you drew. lol Rain completely fizzled just as it got here.

We've had several MCS's die out this way this year. I'm about to steal a Michigan poster's sig, "land of the dying MCS's". Could possibly happen again tonight.

Haha, whoosh on me. :D

But no, that's my sad face about dying storms. Whopping 0.33" at LAF from this morning's rainfall, but better than nothing I guess...

I think people's perceptions of "normal" and "hot" have definitely changed in recent years after having strings of above normal temperatures and record streaks of above normal days. Now, when the weather is close to or even just a few degrees above normal, people comment on how "cool" it's been.

It's amazing how many people locally were calling the spring and recent month's weather "cool" despite these stats. People roll their eyes at me when I say that it's actually been above normal, but here are the stats for the past 3 months:

CLE:

Apr: +1.0

May: +1.1

Jun: +0.9

CAK:

Apr: +1.8

May: +3.1

Jun: +2.5

I think people's perceptions of "normal" and "hot" have definitely changed in recent years after having strings of above normal temperatures and record streaks of above normal days. Now, when the weather is close to or even just a few degrees above normal, people comment on how "cool" it's been.

It's amazing how many people locally were calling the spring and recent month's weather "cool" despite these stats. People roll their eyes at me when I say that it's actually been above normal, but here are the stats for the past 3 months:

CLE:

CAK:

perhaps its thr milder low temps? Winter temps WERE way below normal, so you would think previous years were erased from mind. I have thought of this as a pleasant summer. (Of course DTW is below normal in June). Heat is definitely below normal this year, but I wouldn't call it cool.

CLE:

CAK:

That may be the case for your area, but for much of the western half of this subforum, the departures have been skewed more towards the negative side, or at most near normal.  Heck, every month so far this year has been below normal locally except May, which came in at +0.7F.  This is going to be by far the coolest year in awhile assuming we average near normal temps the rest of the year (and that may be optimistic if you prefer warm weather).

It looks like finally, we get a good dry stretch setting up after a slight chance of rain tomorrow...  Showing Tues-Sat as dry and sunny, with temps slowly rising as winds come out of the south late in the week.  Heck of a week for camping coming up. 

Nice morning, but everything is still all wet.  Another round of lawn mowing coming up.  I was talking to my brother (who has a huge well kept lawn) and he figures he's cut his grass at least 20 times (it takes him 2+ hours each time with a big rider).   Good year for those growing hay. 

Bright and sunny this morning - still humid, but nicer than yesterday so far. 

Tacked on 0.41" of rain from last night. 23.50" year to date.

Edit: Backyard pond has been full all summer. Last night's rain pushed it over the top.

10532775_10204403674118852_4271700009789

Stock that pond with jumbo bluegills...feed them worms (nightcrawlers) daily...  keep a supply of fresh well water ...you'll have 3 pounders.

Dew point has crashed this afternoon..down to 50F ...almost 15f drop just this afternoon.  niiiiice.

Yeah I gotta get something in there!

Still sticky here. Made it to 84° under mostly sunny skies. Breezy out of the west this afternoon.

Stock that pond with jumbo bluegills...feed them worms (nightcrawlers) daily...  keep a supply of fresh well water ...you'll have 3 pounders.

Dew point has crashed this afternoon..down to 50F ...almost 15f drop just this afternoon.  niiiiice.

You just had to mention bluegills... the wife and I haven't even had a chance to get out fishing this year. 

Archived