joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Total of 1.60", 0.87" thru 9 last night (including some hvy showers about 5:30) and another 0.73" by 7 this morning - probably less than 0.05" since.  Month total now 4.3", just about right for the garden.  Now for some warmth so the tomatos and peppers can make use of that water.

The only reason why I'm hesitant to say the difference is all orographics is that the past four years have seen a solid 2" difference between your spot and the other two I look at to sort of get a picture of our area (I just find those three sites the most reliably reported, without missing data and all that stuff). That seems a bit higher than it should be for a single month difference, as June would make up for roughly 50% of the annual precipitation difference in the 4-year averages.

CoCoRAHS calculates the last 4-years worth of precip as an average of: 51.15" at LM-1, 53.54" at CH-4, and 55.22" at WS-19 (although, in 2010, this is missing about 3 weeks of precipitation  in January at WS-19 so I'm not sure how much that alters things).  The June difference makes up for the entire season's worth of difference between CH-4 and WS-19.

Those annual numbers to me make sense and are probably a pretty good representation of how things play out...with the station on the Spine axis receiving the most precip, then the west slope, then the east slope...although the differences in terms of percentages are fairly low (5-10% difference in annual precip).   I would be surprised though if the long term average in June rainfall would create such a large nearly 2" difference between WS-19 and CH-4, LM-1, but may that month is the month that really bumps the Spine up in annual precip.

You’re right, when one sees what the total numbers are for the various stations over that extended period, the difference is a lot to be focused on that month, so that makes one think a good portion of it is due to an extended period of wet Junes in our area for whatever reason.

Oh, and I do have the liquid data for station VT-WS-19 for those three weeks in January.  I wasn’t reporting to CoCoRaHS yet at the beginning of the month, but I was already taking snow cores from snow accumulations and recording everything.  Since I’ve got the detailed data, I figured that I should get around to entering those numbers in the interest of completing that calendar year in the data set:

26JUN14A.jpg

It was a bit of work entering the data, since there weren’t too many days with zeros – there was precipitation on 22 out of 31 days that month.  So the total liquid for the month was 2.77”, bringing liquid for the 1/1/10-12/31/13 period to 222.32” according to the CoCoRaHS summary, and averaging those data puts the annual precipitation for VT-WS-19 at 55.58”.

It was also nice to get those data in there though, because the beginning of the month featured one of those classic storms for the Northern Greens that lasted for nine days (12/31/09-1/8/10).  We definitely didn’t have anything of that length this past season, as I see that the longest storm in my records lasted just four days.  That storm dropped 24.9” of snow and 1.05” L.E. at our location, and it was actually that same one that was focused on the Champlain Valley for a couple of days and gave BTV its record snow:

Champlain Powder: The Historic Burlington Vermont Snowfall of 2-3 January 2010

We could make a run at a 5-6" type month if this pans out around Mansfield.

We’ll definitely have a 5-6” type of month, since we just passed the 5” mark as of this morning’s gauge reading.  We still had some light rain/mist falling, but it looks like precipitation will be winding down based on the forecast, so today’s precipitation could just about do it for the month.  The upcoming forecast is looking really nice though – back to lows closer to normal in the 40s and 50s F according to BTV NWS discussion:

.SHORT TERM /7 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY/...

AS OF 403 AM EDT THURSDAY...LOOKING AT A LARGELY UNEVENTFUL SHORT-TERM FORECAST PERIOD. THE OVERALL PATTERN TRANSITIONS OUT OF BROADLY CYCLONIC FLOW TO OPEN THE PERIOD TO ONE OF DEEP-LAYER SUBSIDENCE/BUILDING HEIGHTS ALOFT...PLENTY OF SUNSHINE AND WARMING TEMPERATURES INTO THE WEEKEND.

CLEARING SKIES AND LIGHT WINDS WILL ALLOW FOR GOOD RADIATIONAL COOLING WITH LOWS FALLING BACK CLOSER TO NORMAL - THE UPPER 40S TO THE UPPER 50S.

Just like last winter........lol, 1.05" in the gauge, On the low end

Haha, it was a little fail locally but some high totals around here...convection causes lots of ups and downs.

1.06" for the last 48-hours in my gauge.

There was sort of one band of heavy rain just to the north, and then a whole slug of off to the south.

Day 1

Day 2

Haha, it was a little fail locally but some high totals around here...convection causes lots of ups and downs.

1.06" for the last 48-hours in my gauge.

There was sort of one band of heavy rain just to the north, and then a whole slug of off to the south.

Day 1

attachicon.gifprecip_062514.png

Day 2

attachicon.gifprecip_062614.png

Yeah, Pretty much the same here, Looks like places to my SE did better with more embedded cells where here is was more of a steady moderate rain

Turned out to be a pretty rainy afternoon. Light shower after shower gave me another .27" since noon. Still raining lightly but looks like we are about finished.

Turned beautiful up here in the past few hours...scattered puffy fair weather clouds and 74/56 with dropping humidity.

Yesterday's high was 62, pretty puny for late June but I was office-bound so it didn't bother me at all, and the 1.64" was just right for the plants.  Low-mid 40s this morning and likely a similar bottom tomorrow - might approach 40F diurnal range, common in mid-spring, less so in summer.

Thick fog/drizzle this morning that gave me 1 tip on the Davis. Sunny and warm this afternoon with comfy dews. There's not much of a breeze though so these U70s/80F feel pretty hot.

MAV has 44F at CON tonight while the MET is a much warmer 52F. With dews still near 50F and not much wind I'm not sure that 44F will verify. I'd probably split the difference with 48F at CON and 50-52F here. The next 5 days look seasonably hot, but nothing absurd for this time of year.

Archived