joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here, though it seems to have calmed down some. We also seemed to have a bumper crop of June bugs.

It's funny I haven't really noticed either up this way...but honestly haven't paid much attention.

Temps are dropping nicely...a refreshing 57F in town now, 26F lower than our high temp. Still 65F up at the mountain base area though with the usual shallow inversion near 1000-1200ft.

Today felt like the hottest day of the summer so far.

High temps came out about where you would expect them too based on elevation.

MPV 1,200ft...84F

MVL 730ft...86F

BTV 300ft...88F

SLK at 1,700ft though hit 85F...not in line with the VT sites lapse rates, but that's a warm day for that elevation. That would put BTV into the 90s with a standard dry lapse rate. But it being at that elevation and still at the bottom of a valley must bring it higher afternoon temps than say the same elevation on a hilltop.

Today felt like the hottest day of the summer so far.

High temps came out about where you would expect them too based on elevation.

MPV 1,200ft...84F

MVL 730ft...86F

BTV 300ft...88F

SLK at 1,700ft though hit 85F...not in line with the VT sites lapse rates, but that's a warm day for that elevation. That would put BTV into the 90s with a standard dry lapse rate. But it being at that elevation and still at the bottom of a valley must bring it higher afternoon temps than say the same elevation on a hilltop.

Definitely felt like the hottest day so far. The car thermometer touched 90F on the way to Williston.

I'm starting to get super agitated as my storm count for the year remains at zero.

Had to go back and look at some video I shot from last summer.  Posting a still instead of video so you don't have to listen to my screams following this beauty.

attachicon.gifstrike.png

I was in Boston a few days ago, fought rush hour traffic to get home, yet still stopped at the Kennebunk rest stop just because there was a storm that could intercept me if I waited another half hour.

There I was windows rolled down just so I could finally hear thunder this year.

I was in Boston a few days ago, fought rush hour traffic to get home, yet still stopped at the Kennebunk rest stop just because there was a storm that could intercept me if I waited another half hour.

There I was windows rolled down just so I could finally hear thunder this year.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.  I would have done the same.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.  I would have done the same.

Absolutely.  Last time I heard thinder was mid-Sept last year. lol

82/48 yesterday.  Dews were sub-60 but wind was almost nil so it seemed hotter than it actually was.  This morning's low was about 10F milder than yesterday's.  I need at least 4 CDD today to avoid matching/beating 2009 for fewest (7) thru June 30.  However, that year the CDDs were still stuck at just 8 thru July 26, and the first 60+ minimum was on July 27.  (Highest minimum this year to date is 57, on several days, unless this morning was milder.  No way we go 4 more weeks with no 60+ lows; might not go 24 hours.)

June 2014 is in the books...

Averages/Totals
Max 75.3°F (+0.3°F) [warmest since moving here]
Min 53.5°F (+1.1°F)
Mean 64.4°F (+0.7°F)

Precip 2.65"

ET 4.38"

Extremes
High Max 86.5°F (30th)
Low Min 43.8°F (22nd)
Low Max 59.2°F (13th)
High Min 63.5°F (25th)

Max Rain 1.35" (25th)

Peak Gust 26mph (18th)

Max 6" Soil 75°F (30th)

Min 6" Soil 58°F (1st)

High Bar 30.35inHg (1st)

Low Bar 29.64inHg (18th)

Hottest day of the year so far. 86.5F

We reversed spots from yesterday...86F yesterday when you were low 80s...then today I had 82F while you were mid 80s.

We did have a good deal of clouds until 2pm though...and even got 0.02" in the bucket from a brief shower around 12pm.

Which by the way, I hate those light quick showers you get in the summer that leave a couple hundredths...just enough to make everything wet, then when the sky brightens right after it's like a steam bath. I swear the dew point felt 10F higher after the shower, with steam rising off the blacktop.

I’m working on publishing my NVT winter weather event summaries for this past season, and I’ll pass along the links as I get them done for anyone that is interested in specific events.  With a record 58 storms, it should take a bit of time to get them together, but I’m picking up some interesting stats/trends as I go through the process, and I’ll mention any of those when I get to the associated time period.

October was pretty typical with a few mountain storms with snow and one that produced some accumulation down in the lower mountain valleys and our location.  There was snow at the Mt. Mansfield Stake from the 24th right through to the end of the month, but it didn’t quite mark the start of the seasonal snowpack due to a break in early November.  The summary for the storm that brought the first accumulation of the season to our site is below:

Storm Total – Storm Date

0.2”10/26/2013

June 2014 in the Maine foothills...

Averages are for 1998-2014 inclusive at my location.

Averages/Totals

Max 71.67°F (+0.05°F)

Min 47.33°F (-1.99°F)

Mean 59.50°F (-0.97°F) 6th coolest of 17 Junes

Precip 4.35" Avg is 5.51" but median is 4.45"

Extremes

High Max 84°F (30th)

Low Min 34°F (1st - only sub-40, right at 40 twice, latest on 6/2`)

Low Max 56°F (13th)

High Min 57°F (18th, 25th)

High mean: 69.5 (30th)

Low mean: 49.5 (4th)

Max Rain 1.49" (25th)

Days with thunder: zero (tied with June 2007)

2013-14 HDDs finished at 9,453, topping 2002-03's 9,412 and way above the 16-season avg of 8,609. Middle of the heating season came on Jan 23. The avg date is Jan 21, and the midpoint has come as early as Jan 13 (2009-10, when winter "ended" on Jan 3) and as late as Jan 28 (2006-07, when winter "began" on Jan 17)

Edit: In terms of actual fuel (wood/oil) usage, the midpoint is probably 7-10 days earlier, as the sun is much more helpful during the 2nd half od the heating season.

84.6F high.     7pm 81/71F.   I grew up in Baltimore and this was a typical summer eve.  We didn't have central air and my Dad would only let me run my bedroom AC when it got real hot.  (95F and above).  Worst part is sleeping and sticking to the sheets.  Days like today it brings back the childhood memories and I've had enough of the summer heat and humidity, ready to bring back  the 70's and dews in the 50's.   Looking forward to some good ole summer T storms the next couple of days.

Archived