Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brutal night. We can't radiate.

Yeah this is brutal...10pm and the meso-net in this area is all showing 77-81F. Even the historically great little hollows that radiate like crazy aren't going anywhere.

I honestly can't remember many nights where it's still near 80F at this time out here. 7F warmer than last night at this point.

Yeah this is brutal...10pm and the meso-net in this area is all showing 77-81F. Even the historically great little hollows that radiate like crazy aren't going anywhere.

I honestly can't remember many nights where it's still near 80F at this time out here. 7F warmer than last night at this point.

Yeah, it sucks. I was hoping to get through the summer without putting the AC unit in the window but my old dog is really suffering with the heat so in it went. I'm ready for the 70's to make a return visit.

When it was struggling to get below 80 F at around 11:00 P.M. last night out here in the mountain valleys, you know that had to be an extreme setup.  Normally there’s that period where the temperature drops like a rock, but last night the temperature just sat there.  It doesn’t take a total mastery of thermodynamics to know that it’s going to be hard to cool the house down from 82 F when the outdoor temperature is 81 F.  We were just pushing down into the 60s F early this morning when I was heading out, but boy, that took a long time.

from BTV

BY THURSDAY SURFACE FRONT GRADUALLY PUSHES INTO THE REGION
PROVIDING THE FOCUS FOR ADDITIONAL PCPN. MODELS CONSISTENT IN
SHOWING A SURFACE WAVE RIDING NORTHEAST ALONG THE BOUNDARY WITH
WIDESPREAD SHOWERS/STORMS BLOSSOMING ACROSS THE AREA BY THE
AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS. THE THREAT OF STRONG/SVR STORMS WILL
BE LIMITED AT BEST AS BETTER INSTABILITY SHOULD BE OFF TO OUR
EAST AND SOUTH ALONG THE COASTAL PLAIN. HOWEVER HEAVY RAINFALL
CERTAINLY A POSSIBILITY WITH AMPLE LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE AND PWAT
VALUES HOVERING AROUND 1.75 INCHES. INDEED...IF YOU BELIEVE THIS
MORNING`S DETERMINISTIC SOLUTIONS QUITE A SOAKER WILL BE POSSIBLE
ACROSS OUR CENTRAL AND EASTERN COUNTIES FRIDAY EVENING.

TEMPERATURES RETURN TO MORE SEASONAL LEVELS WITH HIGHS MID 70S TO
LOWER 80S AND LOWS THURSDAY NIGHT MID 50S TO LOWER 60S.

BY FRIDAY CONDITIONS TREND DRY FROM THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY WEST AS
HIGH PRESSURE BEGINS TO BUILD EASTWARD INTO THE REGION. SOME
UNCERTAINTY REMAINS ACROSS OUR FAR EASTERN COUNTIES AS FRONTAL
ZONE MAY BRIEFLY STALL TO OUR EAST AS TC ARTHUR PASSES NEAR THE
BENCHMARK BY EARLY EVENING. THUS MAINTAINED AT LEAST AN OUTSIDE
SHOT OF A SHOWER IN THESE AREAS ACCORDINGLY. HIGHS SEASONABLY
MILD IN THE 70S UNDER LOWERING HUMIDITY VALUES...ESP CHAMPLAIN
VALLEY WEST.

Bolded portion must be a mistake.  Should read thursday evening, not Friday?????

Wasn't far below 70 at 7 AM (I've had just one 70+ minimum here in 16 yr, July 2005) and the same hazy sun as yesterday, when it reached 86 on my lilac-modified instrument.  (92 on the indoor-outdoor, which has always read a bit high but not 6F) and upper 80s on the indoor side.)

Wasn't far below 70 at 7 AM (I've had just one 70+ minimum here in 16 yr, July 2005) and the same hazy sun as yesterday, when it reached 86 on my lilac-modified instrument.  (92 on the indoor-outdoor, which has always read a bit high but not 6F) and upper 80s on the indoor side.)

Up this way, looks like MVL and 1V4 dropped to 69F to avoid the 70F minimum...and MPV got to 68F.  It does happen here in the mountain valleys, but its still luckily relatively rare.  The therm usually finds a way to get that last couple degrees down below 70F.

Interesting enough when we had a brief TS move through around 5am the temperature jumped to 75F with the storm, then dropped back off to 69-70F again.

87/72F  looks like things are really going to rock in C/NNE later this afternoon.  T storms in Southern NYS are producing a ton of lightning and things are mostly clear ahead of them with high dews.  Good setup for severe.  Its days like this that I am glad I invested with a lightning protection system for my cedar shake house and roof.  Being up high and isolated without trees I feel a bit better on days like this.   The system saved me once, maybe 5 years ago when a bolt hit one of the rods, 15 feet from me.  Sparks went everywhere and the smell  (ozone?) was intense.  No damage to the house.  Webcam should get some good shots later as storms approach from the SW

Stations on the GYX reporting list showing dews to 75 at 1 PM.  The pws that comes up on Wunderground for New Sharon (station's actually next door in Mercer) shows a dew of 79, HI 109.  Assuming that's an accurate reading, the instrument must be closely surrounded by forest in full transpirational mode.

Svr watch now includes Franklin Cty; wonder if the hvy stuff makes it this far east today.

Archived