amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Official 2014 Mid-Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

Subtropics

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just about the worst possible map for holiday OBX vacationers. I can hear the collective screaming and crying from here....

attachicon.gifnhc.JPG

In and out in a day at the beginning of most vacations with minimal impact overall. Folks will be back on the beach in a day or so and it'll be like nothing ever happened.

In and out in a day at the beginning of most vacations with minimal impact overall. Folks will be back on the beach in a day or so and it'll be like nothing ever happened.

I'm not going to the OBX but I am going to OC, MD on Thursday for the weekend....I am hoping it moves thru Thursday night maybe with some excitement, then we're good by Friday afternoon.  I'll need some fast forward movement.

I would guess that as well. OBX has a chance at a mod-high impact. Even a cat 1 with just offshore track would be disruptive to property. An overhead or just inside track could wash out plenty of roads. If I was headed to OBX I would be pretty nervous about a ruined vaca attm. 

We're on OBX in Waves for the week. Keep Arthur away.

Road washouts in that section of the OBX are fairly common during storms. As I'm sure you know, there's just a small swath of dune/beach separating the road and ocean south of the Oregon Inlet bridge. Even less land south of Waves/Salvo heading towards Avon. They've had to replace sections of road at least twice in the last 2-3 years.

Road washouts in that section of the OBX are fairly common during storms. As I'm sure you know, there's just a small swath of dune/beach separating the road and ocean south of the Oregon Inlet bridge. Even less land south of Waves/Salvo heading towards Avon. They've had to replace sections of road at least twice in the last 2-3 years.

Yep, this area is very prone to road damage from storms. Dare County EM met tonight but made no decision on evacuations. We have a Sunday-Sunday rental and hope we don't get evacuated. Saturday looks to be a nice beach day.

Bring it. This is blasphemy here, but I'd take a snowless season if it meant rocking and rolling through a cane. Of course, that won't happen in this situation, but if we can get a PRE I'll be happy. Inches and inches of rain or bust.

Trading snow for hyped up tropical with typical meh verification? Your dead to me. Foot of ice man. Foot of ice!

Well, I would not get my hopes up west of the Chesapeake. That is just the nature of the beast. The latest trend is to speed up the system and slow or amplify the front, which means a latter right turn. Can't find any good analogs for this setup.

We are lucky enough to have it this close already, if you're looking for interesting weather. I can live with 1 day of lost business for something like this.

I'd also sacrifice two consecutive winters for a true cat3 w/ track just west of DC...yeah I'm stoopid like that :P

Oh wow...

Give me a long, snowy, drastically cold winter all day. Hurricanes are nothing special and are more destructive. Yeah, people can die during snowstorms, but Hurricanes are probably historically more destructive.

I'd also sacrifice two consecutive winters for a true cat3 w/ track just west of DC...yeah I'm stoopid like that :P

I hold this same view, but I had a bunch of people jump down my throat for saying that. We love weather so why would I not get excited for a true cane experience around here? More retorical than anything because the same people will tell me snow isn't "dangerous."

I can't help it if hurricanes are my favorite weather event. How would the snow lovers feel if a bunch of people said OMG are you crazy don't root for 2 feet of snow with blizzard conditions!!!

Archived